• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Newest Crush Boy is an ANIMAL.

Congrats to him. I'm so happy for young kids playing.

OTOH, it always makes me wish I learned at that age. I didnt hear about DG till about 2 years ago and I'm 34 now. I'll admit I am jealous....but I'm so happy its growing more and more.

My soon-to-be 10-year-old son just got bit by the DG bug this spring. I got him a 135 Starlite Valkyrie and he can throw a 200' line drive with no wobble (RHBH). The learning curve is so steep right now. It's fun to watch.

I've had a let's-have-fun approach to this ever since the beginning. You want to come along? Cool! You can play if you want. You can run off and go exploring in the woods if you want too. This has been the M.O. for several years.

It's the opposite of youth baseball around here where everybody seems to think their spawn is going to be a major-leaguer someday. When I was a kid in the early '80s, our little league was full of farm kids and we may have practiced as much as twice before the 6-game season started and that was really it. Just kids having fun for six weeks in the summer. My son hates baseball because of the boot camp mentality now despite being pretty good at it and I don't really blame him at all.

So now I'm at this stage with him where he's gotten good at one aspect and enjoys it a lot. I'm fighting the urge to go youth baseball on him and do a bunch of drills. His temperament is quick to frustration and his attention span is gnat-like so it's even more delicate here. I want to keep it fun so he'll be intrinsically hooked to this sport like I am, but on the other hand, I never learned the fundamentals early-on and I feel like my twenties and thirties were wasted when it came to competition. (Mind you, in the '80s and '90s information was relatively scarce in this sport). I'm good at the short stuff and I can see with his drives already that he's going to improve beyond me if he wants.

This debate has been going on in education for decades. Bottom-up v.s. top-down learning. Drill and kill v.s. the whole experience, forgiving flaws in favor of fun in hopes that self-motivation and intrinsic interest ultimately prevail. I'm leaning toward the latter, but willing to give some pointed tips if he demonstrates he wants to know them. We'll see how this goes. But, yeah, I of course dream like Walter Mitty and see him on Jomez in 2030. I suppose that's human nature.

What are some of your experiences when it comes to DG with your kids?

My soon-to-be 10-year-old son just got bit by the DG bug this spring. I got him a 135 Starlite Valkyrie and he can throw a 200' line drive with no wobble (RHBH). The learning curve is so steep right now. It's fun to watch.

I've had a let's-have-fun approach to this ever since the beginning. You want to come along? Cool! You can play if you want. You can run off and go exploring in the woods if you want too. This has been the M.O. for several years.

It's the opposite of youth baseball around here where everybody seems to think their spawn is going to be a major-leaguer someday. When I was a kid in the early '80s, our little league was full of farm kids and we may have practiced as much as twice before the 6-game season started and that was really it. Just kids having fun for six weeks in the summer. My son hates baseball because of the boot camp mentality now despite being pretty good at it and I don't really blame him at all.

So now I'm at this stage with him where he's gotten good at one aspect and enjoys it a lot. I'm fighting the urge to go youth baseball on him and do a bunch of drills. His temperament is quick to frustration and his attention span is gnat-like so it's even more delicate here. I want to keep it fun so he'll be intrinsically hooked to this sport like I am, but on the other hand, I never learned the fundamentals early-on and I feel like my twenties and thirties were wasted when it came to competition. (Mind you, in the '80s and '90s information was relatively scarce in this sport). I'm good at the short stuff and I can see with his drives already that he's going to improve beyond me if he wants.

This debate has been going on in education for decades. Bottom-up v.s. top-down learning. Drill and kill v.s. the whole experience, forgiving flaws in favor of fun in hopes that self-motivation and intrinsic interest ultimately prevail. I'm leaning toward the latter, but willing to give some pointed tips if he demonstrates he wants to know them. We'll see how this goes. But, yeah, I of course dream like Walter Mitty and see him on Jomez in 2030. I suppose that's human nature.

My recommendation is to give him the opportunity to play and/or practice. Kids are going to like what they like. He may want to do drills to improve, but let HIM do them if he wants to.

In my teenage years I wanted to play golf (ball) and get better. I practiced all of the time. I chipped into a basket. Hit balls as much as possible. Played whenever I could sneak on or had some funds. My point is, I found a way to do it because I had the passion. If your kid truly likes it, he'll find ways to play and improve.

I'm sure you've heard all the stories about burn-out, I know a few myself, very sad.

Like TimSyl said, if he likes it, he'll push himself, if he doesn't, well...he'll find something he does like.
I do admire that you are working and taking time to stay connected.
Quality time equals influence.
If you want to influence his future and his choices, just stay close and spend the time with him that he needs, whatever his choice of hobbies and sports..

In my experience, finding friends to play with is key. My son was born with a mini in his hand, but I never pressured him to play. I would enter him in the occasional tournament when he was growing up, but we always made sure he knew it was not about winning but just going out and see how you do.

It was when he was 12-13 that things started to blow up. Him and all of his friends caught the disc golf bug. They played Dreisner park and became known as the Dreisner Rats! Now my son is sponsored by MVP and plays 20+ tournaments per year. Jordan Castro is one of those Dreisner Rats too plus two more sponsored players. These kids learned the fundamentals from us old timers and took it a step further.

I think my son would've played as he got older, but it was the group of friends that really got him to be who he is today.

Update on the kid. He shot 999 960 and 990 at Toboggan to finish t-8th at USADGC.:thmbup:
I saw a few of his shots while caddying for my friend Evan (15th) on day 3. It is absolutely absurd watching someone so small have no problem attacking the length out there. He, Esquival, and actual crush boy (Discmania sponsored) Klein all have some Bright futures. So much talent in the youth.

Am I starting my son too young? Don't want to be an overbearing disc golf dad or anything....

0ptL2kj.jpg

Xm7klM9.jpg

Dml9R3v.jpg

aomzDX1.jpg

My 2 yr old pushing 3 enjoys a stroll on the local pitch n putt. I still bring the stroller as his longevity is good for about 6-7 holes.

As long as he enjoys it, I see a round with the family as the perfect opportunity to introduce a controlled level of structure to an activity. I think it's good for us to exercise a little bit of discipline and stick-to-it-iveness to make it through 9 holes at a decent enough clip so as to not slow down those behind us.

He will occasionally toss a few putters into the practice basket with me at home, and he has his own Junior Judge. Which by the way I think is too small even for him - they should make some at more like .75 scale.

I feel the same way about tempering my enthusiasm and avoiding pushing him too hard or forcing something upon him that I'm passionate about. I never played many organized sports and largely avoided being pushed in any direction in particular, so it's my intention to parent a little less passively than my parent did. However, I do my best to take a step back, make sure my head is in the right place and that the pendulum doesn't swing back too far in the opposite direction.

I'm interested to hear how some parents were able to foster love of the game in their kids who went on to really enjoy the sport.

So the other day, I'm minding my own business and clicking around to see what's new on the yootoob subscriptions, and settled on the CCDG coverage of the 2018 Mid America Open, having no idea my mind was about to be blown to smithereens.

Scrolling through, something caught my eye- There was a toddler on a card! I clicked on it, thinking there must be some mistake, but NO! It was for real! Zack Arlinghaus is 14, but looks like my 12yo, maybe even younger- but is legit 916 rated! So I popped some popcorn and watched intently, waiting to see what babyface was going to do...

THIS. KID. ABSOLUTELY. CRUSHES!!!!!!

THROWS 425+ ON A DIME!
GORGEOUS TURNOVERS!
OFF-DOMINANT HAND FOREHANDS!
SMASHING PUTTS WITH AUTHORITY!

This kid is the future. I mean, guys like AB and Calvin are new-school freaks of nature but this kid looks like he'd get turned away at Six Flags for most of the rollercoasters and he straight up smashed the course. Zero visible physical advantages, yet execution on par with the best anywhere. I couldn't believe my eyes! Sickeningly well rounded, and cartoonishly young. If you haven't seen the coverage, make a point to check it out tonight. It was the most captivating performance I've seen in a long time. Mark my words, this kid is going to OWN the sport in a few years! Count me in as a HUGE fan! GO ZACK!!
You're not the only one who thinks he's an animal...

If you thought he was an animal watching the vid the OP referenced, go check out the first round scores from Idlewild Open today...

1 circle putt from being on the lead card for rd 2:eek:

Zach came and played one of my minis once. Him and his dad played it blind and won by 4 strokes playing against some really strong competition from players who have been on the course for years.

He's going to be a force to be reckoned with.