• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The number of disc golf player has declined, by a large number.....

Plastic Thunder

Eagle Member
I noticed the course I have opened up and have far fewer players this year. So i did a little research and found the active registered players has fallen off rather dramatically. The PDGA does a nice job of keeping up with all kinds of stuff so I looked at player statics and used the numbers from that to come up with my conclusion.

This data was taken in July.

2024 update, 3/13/24 total pages of all players is 34050, I will look again in July. But keep in mind 2023 was 139k pages of players. One thing that inflates the number of players, is that any player that played in more than one division will have additional entries. So if you played in Am 50 and Am 60 as I did you will be counted 2 times. Am to Pro, counted 2 times. I found over 1000 players that were listed up to 5 times on the Pro and Am side of the data. Sort by PDGA number and you can see this. It is for this last reason the 139k(2023) number is so different than the 34K(2024) number. By July we all will have played more events and skewed the 2024 player pages. I expect 34050 to possibly triple.

In order to get an accurate number of players I would need to look January 1.

Pro(all) Am(all) Am(female)
2023 20208 101327 8103
2022 30995 141605 11683
2021 31059 113698 9318
2020 22322 57980 4172
2019 23973 53288 4271
2018 22382 46283 3945
2017 20286 39566 3382

2015 16355 27652 2162

2012 8772 15403 1237

The number of Pro female in 2010 was 769 and in 2023 it is currently at 1559. I thought there would be greater growth in that area but those numbers have not kept pace with the larger picture. On the Am side, the numbers are more in line with overall growth the sport has seen lately.

So this year we have seen about 30% of registered player vanish from the PDGA ranks. My guess is the non-registered numbers are likely off by at least that much. 2024 will be very important year, if the numbers fall, the size of the number will matter. 2% loss and none really cares, 30% and some companies might have to consider getting out of the sport. I think the loss is more in the 10-15% range, just a guess. 2025, my guess is there is a bit more contraction and then in 2026 we get back to normal growth or at least find a bottom.

Our sport is not on deaths door, just normalizing. if you need any more proof, just look at you local disc store stocking levels. They have tons of new discs and used numbers are out of control.

The Dynamic sale was well timed but I am not sure I would have done a stock and cash deal. The stock might be a problem. That deal had some interesting side notes that puzzled me. But I don't own a large disc company so maybe I am missing something.

Now for those who say "but the rest of the world is taking up the sport". Not so fast, the US market is 75% of all register players. The other 25% is all other countries combined. Take Finland for example, 5562 registered player, it's only 10% larger then the North Carolina market at 5017. Finland's population is 5,536,146, not bad, but the population of North Carolina is 10,439,388. Larger market population. There is a side note, Finland does have 2 times as many courses as North Carolina. But courses don't buy discs. They just have more places to lose them......

Last item, we will learn about the health of manufacturers when the new signings happen, I think the 7 figure deals are dead for a while. To many great players to chose from and there are loads of them everywhere.

Last edited:
I wouldn't want to bet on DG in the short term with my life savings, but no need to panic about the sport.

Disc golf is not the PDGA—only a part of disc golf. Lot of people joined because they played an event or two. Doesn't mean they stopped playing DG.

#1 - PDGA still has double the number of AMs as it did 5 years ago.
#2 - You (likely) can't properly compare June 2023 numbers to end of December 2022 numbers. Sure, registration is front loaded, but by how much?
#3 - The bubble underwent rapid, uncontrolled deflation, but the real question is whether the year over year growth rate trend line stays above the pre-covid trend line, which definitely seems possible
Even if it doesn't, you still likely just have accelerated the growth that was going to happen, and that has long term advantages.

most folks I know with PDGA numbers were a couple years active then done.

totally this

i'd like to see the numbers on how many people each year lapsed from active to inactive. the nominal amounts in the first post might seem like a lot but it may be similar to or even less than the historical trend as a percentage.

Yeah, as with many other statistics right now, probably mostly explainable by the COVID bubble.

I guess that every year, some number let their PDGA membership lapse, because they realize that there's little benefit other than reduced tournament fees. That's magnified by the COVID surge (and it reflects a chronic problem PDGA has with keeping non-competing players. The DGN discount is very good, but likely doesn't interest casual players).

I suspect courses will eventually get less crowded as casual players lose interest, and leaving the PDGA is an early indicator. But leaving the PDGA does not immediately translate to leaving the sport.

totally this

i'd like to see the numbers on how many people each year lapsed from active to inactive. the nominal amounts in the first post might seem like a lot but it may be similar to or even less than the historical trend as a percentage.
Historical percentage of non-renewals has been in the 22-24% range. When compared with other comparable orgs, it was about the same. If the percentage has moved up towards 30%, likely due to the Covid bubble, such that a lower new membership rate has lowered the net growth rate back toward historical levels.

Does anyone know (or care to guess) what percent of players are PDGA members?
In my area I would guess it's around 10-20%.

What Rastnav said about comparing June and December. A lot of players don't renew until they play their first tournament of the year and that can be awhile for many who live in a colder climate with snow melt through spring.

Competitive disc golf is NOT recreational disc golf. I entered a few things last year. Am not this year. Doesn't mean I've stopped buying discs, nor going out as much as I can. Nor does that represent how much I pay in annually at the private / league disc golf level either.
Meh.

I hope the number of casual chuckers has declined. Not a fan of crowded courses full of people who don't know what they're doing.

Agreed. I'd like to see everything COVID related in the rearview too. #shrinkthesport.

^^^^^^^^^

Like when I heard about the Chick Fil-A boycotting I said "Good the lines will be shorter now". Same idea. Less people = less chuckers and 20 somethings playing their loud music for the entire park to hear. #shrinkthesport #curmudgeonsillybizz

Competitive disc golf is NOT recreational disc golf. I entered a few things last year. Am not this year. Doesn't mean I've stopped buying discs, nor going out as much as I can. Nor does that represent how much I pay in annually at the private / league disc golf level either.
Meh.

Sure, but I think this mostly applies in Norway.

Or to mostly Norwegians, anyway.

Sorry. :D

Latest posts