• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The SFD true Distance (This Summer 2014)

How far will I throw during this event?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
And I'm going to completely call BS on your 515' " estimation. There is no way you could come to an accurate travel distance because you would be guessing by eye sight how from from a straight line you traveled (curved) as well as the height of the shot from the highest to the lowest point. so it could have been 515' or it could have been 480', 320' or 550' you have no way of coming to an accurate conclusion on that "measurement"

I seem to recall OP saying that he liked math, so I'd be willing to assume he's got some strength in calculus and so if he has an estimation on the flight path and can come up with a function that is a reasonable model, then the flight length can be determined.

I'd also be willing to assume that he's only estimating on two axes and not touching the third.

I'd like to see: Pure (Opto, Gl, or base), Fuse (Gl), Verdict (Lucid), Saint + Saint Pro (Gl, Opto), Flow (Gl), Villain (Gl), World (Tp), Giant (Tp or VIP).

I seem to recall OP saying that he liked math, so I'd be willing to assume he's got some strength in calculus and so if he has an estimation on the flight path and can come up with a function that is a reasonable model, then the flight length can be determined.

I'd also be willing to assume that he's only estimating on two axes and not touching the third.

I'd like to see: Pure (Opto, Gl, or base), Fuse (Gl), Verdict (Lucid), Saint + Saint Pro (Gl, Opto), Flow (Gl), Villain (Gl), World (Tp), Giant (Tp or VIP).

I'm going to doubt his overwhelming ability in calculus if he JUST realized that a curved distance is longer then a straight distance but I digress...

There is absolutely no way to even approach an accurate measurement based upon visual guesses that he then goes back home and plugs into google maps... come on give me a break. You can have all of the mathematical ability on the planet and you still couldn't come close to anything that would resemble something accurate...that's all I'm saying.

Plus it's axis ... I don't think he's chopping down trees

I'm going to doubt his overwhelming ability in calculus if he JUST realized that a curved distance is longer then a straight distance but I digress...

Given the OP's location, it is highly probable that English is not his native, and may not even be his second, language. You might want to take that (and your own fluency in foreign languages) into account when parsing the wording of the OP's posts.

There is absolutely no way to even approach an accurate measurement based upon visual guesses that he then goes back home and plugs into google maps... come on give me a break. You can have all of the mathematical ability on the planet and you still couldn't come close to anything that would resemble something accurate...that's all I'm saying.

Horse feathers.

If there's a tree or a tall object 300' from the front edge of the teeing area and 50' perpendicular to the LOP from the teeing area and the disc's landing point, and the thrown disc clearly passes to the outside the tree/object, even a first year geometry student can easily calculate the minimum distance the disc traveled in the air. The calculated distance may not be completely accurate, but it would be a helluva lot more accurate than the measured straight line distance.

The calculated distance may not be completely accurate, but it would be a helluva lot more accurate than the measured straight line distance.

Um...no it wouldn't be. If I know two exact points I can measure very exactly the distance between them. If I am guessing where something went and the guessing the height it was at then I am GUESSING!

And how do you know what foreign languages I am fluent in?

Um...no it wouldn't be. If I know two exact points I can measure very exactly the distance between them.

You can measure the distance between those points accurately, but this conversation isn't about the distance between two points: it's about the distance the disc traveled between those two points, so if the disc's flight path deviated even slightly from the straight line connecting those two points, the measurement will necessarily be inaccurate.

If I am guessing where something went and the guessing the height it was at then I am GUESSING!

The only reason you're guessing is because you're not paying attention to the example.

If you know the disc's flight path deviated from the straight line connecting point A and point B, and that it passed an intermediate point C not on the line connecting points A and B whose distance from line AB can be measured, you can calculate the minimum distance AC+CB that the disc must necessarily have traveled, which will necessarily be longer than the straight line distance AB, and therefore necessarily be a more accurate measurement of the distance the disc traveled.

And how do you know what foreign languages I am fluent in?

Your utter failure to grasp the point of my comment about language fluency pretty much answers that question.

Hey..umm

This guy can throw far...

Lets see how far...

And with what...

I'm sorry I don't know calculus...

Ya know what, I voted top-tier in every category, cuz I want this dude to feel confident about his project and make us the best piece of content possible. Maybe he's a distance student and we'll see cool new stuff in his video?

OP I am a composer and I typically compose about big distance:

I think you should throw every disc that has held the world record.

Or at least the XL, Teebird, Valkryie, and blizzard boss.

The TB and Valk have to be DX though.

I'm looking forward to a comparison of many different molds thrown by one person. I'd like to see this done by more people. More data, more data, more data.

Discs that are decided for now. I would like to test all of the Suggested discs but I can't afford to buy them all.

Putters:
Pure & Aviar + (I could add Pro D Zone(great distance drive putter) and one overstable putter from other manufacturer)

Midranges:
Core, Buzzz, Roc + (one more from other manufacturer) Mostly "heart of the game" midranges.

Record holders: (Pro D/ Elite X?) XL (211.32m 169g),
(Elite X?) XS (217.05m 170g),
DX Teebird (247m [g?]),
DX Valkyrie (250m 168g),
Blizzard Boss (255m 134g)

Distance Drivers: Halo, Stiletto

Ya know what, I voted top-tier in every category, cuz I want this dude to feel confident about his project and make us the best piece of content possible. Maybe he's a distance student and we'll see cool new stuff in his video?

OP I am a composer and I typically compose about big distance:

That video is awsome. Did you write the music for the Stiletto Video? Nice!

I mostly compose Classical music and I compose on a higher level than I play:wall: but I also write pop songs and rock songs/themes.

I'll probably write a music theme for the SearchingForDistance video if that's one thing you're asking.

And Thanks for the support:thmbup:

I really like the idea of throwing the previous record holders. I would like to reiterate the Rampage and the Cannon. The reason being, I have heard many people say that the 14 speed rating is gimmicky. I would like it if we could get some hard evidence on it. Granted you would really only be one data point, but it is a start.

That said, any advertised "Speed 14" driver would do the trick, those Legacy ones were just the first that came to mind. The World and King from Westside would also be good candidates. Not to get into the "Speed" vs. "Rim Width" debate, just a thought.