• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] the Shaman

The Apache rules. One of the most underrated control drivers on the market without a doubt.
Comfortable grip, beaded and VERY good at carving lines.

I'll be nabbing some shamans today. Will report back!

I will be headed to gateway myself, need to pick up discs for a project.

Guess I will be spending more money. Good for gateway getting some new molds out there.

Color me interested. I'm still searching for a shallow, non-beaded understable putter to be the flippy compliment to my Pures and Zone.

I got a proto Shaman today in what feels like Soft plastic. I really think Gateway made a fantastic disc. It feels a little like an XD in the hand. The rim is shallow, but comfortable for a power grip. Mine has a slight dome, but nothing major.

The disc flies wonderfully. It has a very neutral flight and is very good at holding lines. It isn't really very understable like I was expecting, but it will flip up a little if thrown hard. It flies with a decent amount of speed, and doesn't have an abundance of glide. It will fade out a little bit when it slows down, but not very much.

I think this will be a very popular driving putter for those who don't like the way deep putters feel on drives. I don't think it will replace my P2's, but if I didn't prefer deep putters, the Shaman would most likely make the bag.

It's slightly shallower and faster than a Spike, buy I would say the lines it takes are pretty similar to that of a Spike.

well, I have a Zone. I want a Chief, and probably one of these. I am going to have far too many putters in my bag. Time to take out even more drivers.

well, I have a Zone. I want a Chief, and probably one of these. I am going to have far too many putters in my bag. Time to take out even more drivers.
I have done the same. I find the chief and shaman to fit in nicely behind my longer mids. I use a tweener speed driver for 90% of my drive. I know have 4 putter molds, 3 mids and 2 drivers.

I threw my shaman a few times yesterday as one thing that this does well is fly very straight. I was ripping it on 275-300+ power pulls and it had very little turn. I'd rate it's fresh flight as a -1,2 which I thought to be kind of odd. My shaman is a proto in a firm S plastic.

I will also say the shaman feels better on the hand than the chief. It is nearly the same depth but the bulky magic like wing feels more comfortable than the super slim chief rim.

My complaint with both the chief & shaman is that they're very power hungry. They're certainly elite in terms of speed and distance capabilities on low lines vs. a traditional putter, but they don't power down well for smooth approaches. These discs are right in line with what I say a lot of newer players tryin to do. Gun low shots and let the disc do the work instead manipulating lines with a smooth approach.

I will Likely bag the chief due to its ability to fly low and fast but the shaman isn't a disc that I find to be too necessary. It may season into a unique hyzer flipper, but as of now, it's stability is too much to differentiate from the chief.

Just thought I'd put this here, since no one seems to like taking pictures.

Looks like a Magic to me~

From the Gateway Facebook:

Attachments

• 10153962_10152202103647955_5828597254668902146_n.jpg
    10153962_10152202103647955_5828597254668902146_n.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 195
So, will it likely compare to a PA4? I bag a PA4 and love it! To me it is the best driving putter for hyzerflips and soft straight shots. I also love the 300s plastic. Thanks for the input.

I think the Magic is more similar to a PA4. The Shaman is more like a shorter M4.