• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

This is why I like private courses

We have over 35 courses in this area. Except for the annual park fees only one is PTP.

Why would anyone spend $500 extra to play one course when we have this?

Maybe the OP has enough money to invest money in a losing venture, most people don't have that type of money.

I'm all for pay to play, to a point.

It seems the OP is suggesting a solution in search of a problem.

Guess I'm lucky I they just finish the 3rd disc golf park in the U.S about 15 minutes from my house. I'd honestly pay a few bucks to a membership at a club like Golf. However, I'm glad I don't have to. The amount that I'd consider would be considerably lower than $500, that's for sure.

When are they pulling it?

It hasnt been open for play since early October of last year. I still see the baskets up so I have no idea. They certainly dont advertise it on their billboards anymore...though it is still up on their website.

Granted this is a unique situation as it is a multi-use campground in an area where good yet free courses are plentiful.

Nashville's newest course is a pay to play.
It's on an existing ball golf course. Plays through areas of the rough.
Facebook.com/nashborodg

The Chain Links at Nashboro

it depends on the area. in maine there is money to make in a private ptp course and they are all over the place already.

but there really isn't money in a ptp course when free courses already exist in the vicinity.

So I looked at courses in Maine. By golly, most of them are PTP.

Additionally, all 7 of the top rated (by DGCR standards) are PTP. And they all appear to be privately owned.

So, what's Maine got that other places don't?

It's not what Maine has, it's what they don't have. Namely, gobs of free to play courses to suck the market dry.

So, why don't they have gobs of free courses? (How many courses are in a gob?)

Is it state government spending policies?

Local government?

Moose?

Today's announcement at GBO that Friday rounds from Olpe course will not be count is unfortunate especially from an important event like an NT. The reason for the cancellation is not because of the rain, every course receives rain sooner or later. It is because this is a public park and as with many parks its located on a flood plain, generally unusable land for anything else.

Its time we see real investment in courses, building on private land with proper facilities. We as a sport need to suck it up and say "I'm willing to pay $500-$700/year to play on high quality facilities that are specifically dedicated to disc golf. Essentially we need to take the model for a private ball golf course and apply it to disc golf.

There are lots of private DG courses out there but not enough. We as the sport's general population need to change our mentality that we are cheap and this is a cheap sport to play. If you are really excited to play disc golf then show it with your wallet.

I live in an area where DG is relatively new but growing fast, unfortunately we are not going to see a private course too soon (unlike Maine just below us) however I would pay the price to have a dedicated facility.

MOVE TO MAINE. SEIOUSLY MOVE TO MAINE.

That's a shame. They had put a good bit of money and effort into it. I guess it turned out not to be worth it. Didn't they have the Colorado College DG Championships there?

I played that course last March when out there. I thought it was a pretty awesome course, considering I'm from IL. Sad to hear, I had one of my most memorable discin days there.

So I looked at courses in Maine. By golly, most of them are PTP.

Additionally, all 7 of the top rated (by DGCR standards) are PTP. And they all appear to be privately owned.

So, what's Maine got that other places don't?

Large tracks of disc golf friendly land underutilized by owners, HUGE spring/summer vacation populations.

There is inexpensive land to be found in Maine, but most of the private dg courses are on nice properties

my wife and I love Maine. So much so we were looking for a way to move there.

We live in Nashville now, which is suddenly on the verge of becoming a new DG Mecca :D (awesome courses right in the city/metro area) and only a little over an hour away from Bowling Green (a true DG Mecca).

It's not what Maine has, it's what they don't have. Namely, gobs of free to play courses to suck the market dry.

If the course is good enough (and priced right), there's no such thing as "free to play courses to suck the market dry". Quality will survive no matter the cost.

Just look at central Massachusetts (say the Worcester area) where there are a bunch of nice free courses within a 25-30 mile radius yet Maple Hill and Pyramids are both extremely popular destinations. Hell, they're across the street from one another and still don't seem to diminish each other's markets at all. They're both quality destinations for disc golf. They're worth paying for even with a free option 2 miles down the street.

Obviously there are no free courses in Maine (at least none worth mentioning) so it's all theoretical, but I don't think having free courses would change a whole lot here. I mean, if free would win out over pay, then it would stand to reason that cheaper would win out over expensive, right? Yet arguably the busiest course in the state is the one that charges the most to play, and it competes with at least a half a dozen other courses within 15-20 miles that all charge less. And when I say less, I mean there are courses you can play all day for less than the cost of a single 18-hole round at the pricier spots.

Pay for play is the future of the sport. The faster pay for play grows, the faster the sport grows in general.

I'm not sure the OP meant that you would pay $500 to play one course. In real golf it's very easy to pay $50 per round, which gets you to $500 bucks pretty quick. I'll grant you that disc golf courses require nowhere near the upkeep of real golf course, so greens fees wouldn't need to be anywhere near $50. However very few disc golf courses see the amount of play an average golf course sees, so you might be looking at more money than your typical disc golfer thinks is "fair". Let's hypothetically say the average course in your area charges $10, and there are no free courses. Do you play 50-70 rounds a year to reach the OPs $700? I know I play many more rounds than that. Granted, they're spread out across a variety of courses, but if all the courses charge, it's still easy to spend that kind of money if you're an avid disc golfer.

Now, would you cut back if you had to pay per round? Many would. On the other hand, if a course offered basic amenities like multiple tee/pin positions, a modest pro shop, food/water on site, clean rest rooms and a well groomed course many would get used to paying.
See, I'd be more than willing to pay ten dollars a round for a place with a pro shop, food/bar, good restrooms, and good atmosphere. The courses in my home town (Joplin) are a lot of fun, but you don't generally see a lot of upkeep. The club is active, but there isn't enough drive to keep the courses above the average.

Buy your own land
Spend your own money setting up a course
Maintain your land with all your free time
Pick up litter and cigarette butts all day
Get complaints from disc golfers that it wasn't worth their $5, and you ripped them off
realize that the worst thing about disc golf, is disc golfers
Rip out course
Invest in cattle/cattle feed
Make profits
Travel
Love life

I've always thought that a livestock farm would be a great place for a disc golf course. Free mowing (and mowers that take out underbrush also). I bet a cow doesn't even move when somebody turns a Rampage over into its noggin.

I've always thought that a livestock farm would be a great place for a disc golf course. Free mowing (and mowers that take out underbrush also). I bet a cow doesn't even move when somebody turns a Rampage over into its noggin.

They do take out a lot of underbrush but they don't keep it mowed short enough to play when the weather is warm and the grass is growing like crazy. Reaction to getting hit with a disc varies but is generally not a lot.

see Iffy Hollers or Hawk Hollow. It seems to work amazingliy well - both of these courses are on any course baggers wishlist. Though both of these courses are very limited on when you can play them...

I'm new to disc golf so maybe I just don't understand expecting free golf. I would gladly pay multiple private courses $700 yearly membership to play on nice facilities. It helps support nicer courses so I see no downfall. I do have to admit though I have caught disc golf fever and have been reaching out to different places to donate large sums of cash just to spread the wealth and hopefully create new opportunities in this wonderful sport. Imo everyone that loves the sport could help just a little bit more. Hopefully I don't get burnt out, but I don't see that happening at this point.

No way. I play disc golf because I'm cheap, it's cheap, the discs are cheap...you get the drift. No way I'm spending anywhere close to $500 on a hobby/year total, much less to support one private course. Next plan, please.

hmm...typical price for 20 discs, bag, and some accesories? Probably close to at least 300.00. Add in gas, drinks, etc, I'm guessing you're over 500.00. ?

Today's announcement at GBO that Friday rounds from Olpe course will not be count is unfortunate especially from an important event like an NT. The reason for the cancellation is not because of the rain, every course receives rain sooner or later. It is because this is a public park and as with many parks its located on a flood plain, generally unusable land for anything else.

Its time we see real investment in courses, building on private land with proper facilities. We as a sport need to suck it up and say "I'm willing to pay $500-$700/year to play on high quality facilities that are specifically dedicated to disc golf. Essentially we need to take the model for a private ball golf course and apply it to disc golf.

There are lots of private DG courses out there but not enough. We as the sport's general population need to change our mentality that we are cheap and this is a cheap sport to play. If you are really excited to play disc golf then show it with your wallet.

I live in an area where DG is relatively new but growing fast, unfortunately we are not going to see a private course too soon (unlike Maine just below us) however I would pay the price to have a dedicated facility.

Actually it had more to do with multiple players deciding to withdraw. Not it being a public park on a flood plain.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

I thought the idea of disc golf was almost the same as ball golf: go out with your friends, plan some killer road trips and have fun. Plus for most of us on here either work 9-5, go to school, have families or a combo of the three. So when possible, a few rounds a week could be snuck in.

Now with the summer upon us, that means an increase in those weekly rounds played. For me, I have a couple of decent choices of courses to play, mostly free, but if given the chance to play at one of the Top 10 rated courses on here, I would pay that fee gladly, because they are rated high for a reason.

Plus the PTP courses are like Pebble Beach or Bethpage Black: courses on your bucket list that you'll pay, if you have the resources. Courses where your favorite pro's play and you can brag that you've played too. The only exception would be if that pass would get me in other local area PTP courses.

But the question is: Would I pay X amount of money for a yearly pass for one course? I would say no simply because there are other courses that I can play that are either free, less expensive and/or it breaks the monotony of playing the same course over and over again. Don't get me wrong, I will play 4-5 rounds at my local course without hesitation, but no more. I would like to play a few other courses before I went back to play that one again. Moderation is the key, overindulgence on one thing can lead to burnout. And to use another cliche: Absence makes the heart grow fonder. The last time I played was the tail end of March. Before that, it was in the last half of 2015, so now I'm itching to play.

I think the state of the sport is good and improving. I don't think there is a need to adopt an attitude that there needs to be more private and thus more PTP courses. That's the other beautiful thing about disc golf: relatively inexpensive to start and to play.

Latest posts