• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Thoughts on Devan Owens switching sponsors

SteezeOG

Dynamic Discs #1 Fanboi
I haven't seen a thread about it. I'm a little bored. I knew he was throwing for Prodiscus but hadn't really noticed what molds. He announced yesterday "officially" he's now sponsored by Lat64 which allows him to throw Westside and DD discs as well. He said for now he's only got Lat64 and WS in the bag but is still working on figuring out what he likes. Apparently mr. ambassador Dave Nobeard was working on him hard to switch sponsors.

He's good. He's a lefty but that can be forgiven. I think he makes a nice addition to the Lat64 team.

It definitely makes sense. Feldy likes to sing his praises, and I thought they were sharing a place with wysocki in phoenix. I'd personally rather throw trilogy over prodiscus as well

It definitely makes sense. Feldy likes to sing his praises, and I thought they were sharing a place with wysocki in phoenix. I'd personally rather throw trilogy over prodiscus as well

I haven't gotten the chance to throw any prodiscus I don't think DD sells it here. Just by the looks it appears to be pretty sweet and premium stuff but I agree that the trilogy companies will offer a much bigger selection of stuff to pick from. He's in oklahoma too which is geographically close to many DD sponsored players and their tournaments. It could be nice to be closer to some teammates and have them at the events near you.

I haven't had the opportunity either. That could be a major factor, their exposure is almost nothing. Not to knock on them, they could have a great product. However having 3 companies to choose from.. Trump card ha

I know Barsby is switching from Westside/Legacy to the new "other" DD of Diety Discs I think it is? Must be a friend's company because they don't even have any molds legal to play with yet. He's probably not switching any of his bag soon.

Diety discs does have a mold approved. I dont think Mukunda is going to make guys throw exclusively his plastic either because he throws alot of CE himself.

Diety discs does have a mold approved. I dont think Mukunda is going to make guys throw exclusively his plastic either because he throws alot of CE himself.

Approved yes. Not 500+ available for circulation though which makes it non PDGA legal for play to my knowledge. I'm sure he has protos and stuff he's throwing casually but the word at the memorial was he was still using a Giant for his drives.

Is this four teams in four years? Innova, then Discraft, then Prodiscus, now Lat64?

Approved yes. Not 500+ available for circulation though which makes it non PDGA legal for play to my knowledge. I'm sure he has protos and stuff he's throwing casually but the word at the memorial was he was still using a Giant for his drives.
The Chimera from Deity is legal to throw: http://www.pdga.com/announcements/chimera-deity-among-discs
Whether correct or not, the assumption once a disc is approved is that the manufacturer is ready to make at least 500 available to the marketplace. But it would be difficult to monitor so the manufacturer is on an honor system. Some will have the PDGA hold the announcement like the link above until they are ready with production quantities even up to 2 months after the disc is officially approved.

Pros play for money and they have to make decisions that increase their prospects for making a living.

However, sometimes those decisions should be seen in the long term.
If it's true that he's had 4 sponsors in 4 years, it may benefit him in the long term to slow down and settle in with a sponsor for the long haul.

The Chimera from Deity is legal to throw: http://www.pdga.com/announcements/chimera-deity-among-discs
Whether correct or not, the assumption once a disc is approved is that the manufacturer is ready to make at least 500 available to the marketplace. But it would be difficult to monitor so the manufacturer is on an honor system. Some will have the PDGA hold the announcement like the link above until they are ready with production quantities even up to 2 months after the disc is officially approved.

I didn't know that. That's probably a good way to do it. Do molds ever get pulled from approval when a company goes under or fails to meet those requirements from the start? I've never looked into discs taken off the list. I wouldn't even know where to start.

Pros play for money and they have to make decisions that increase their prospects for making a living.

However, sometimes those decisions should be seen in the long term.
If it's true that he's had 4 sponsors in 4 years, it may benefit him in the long term to slow down and settle in with a sponsor for the long haul.

You kind of have to consider his situation. He was with Innova and then started dating Paige Pierce and she likely convinced him to switch to Discraft. Then they split up and almost everyone chooses a new sponsor or goes with Prodigy so he probably wanted to do his own thing and wasn't really committed to Discraft yet anyway. In comes Prodiscus and they start with a bang but lately I haven't really seen them take off in popularity or production so he then is easily convinced to go with a more established bunch of companies where he can throw a wider selection of discs and possibly make more money doing so.

It just doesn't seem like a guy who is skipping around companies for the fun of it. He's a young talented player who was being pulled around by other people for four years it seems to me. Hopefully he's happy where he's at now.

He had an open bag with prodiscus so hes actually narrowing what he is allowed throw drastically. It must be a good deal for him and it definitely helps out his roomie Feldberg and lat64's USA team. His sponsorship history is fairly strange lol.

More bad news for Prodiscus. I really love their premium plastic and want to see them succeed.

had the pleasure to work with devan (and more to come!) on some designs and talk a little disc golf along the way. definitely a great guy and a class act. doesn't 'toot' his own horn as much as other pro's but has the skill set to hang with all the big guns any day. i think he's gonna enjoy his new home at Lat 64 very much.

He had an open bag with prodiscus so hes actually narrowing what he is allowed throw drastically. It must be a good deal for him and it definitely helps out his roomie Feldberg and lat64's USA team. His sponsorship history is fairly strange lol.

Must have been other factors like you say. It's kind of got to be frustrating to have a sponsor who does 90% of stuff over in Finland. At least with Lat64 they have the distribution hub with DD and he can get things shipped out timely and feel more part of a larger team. My perspective of course. Maybe feldberg is just a convincing guy.