• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Thoughts on Front Hip Pain During Backhand Throw

Swingfinder

I have developed hip pain in my leading hip over the past few months of form work. I wanted to share some thoughts about it since I believe it is due to a common problem found among amateur throwers. The red squares below highlight a problematic and similar hip position in two amateurs (the "Bad_Brace" is me, with the screenshot taken right after the release, at what I believe is the apex of the problem. I have included a video as well). It seems like rounding and pulling through, caused by poor weight shift (among other things, probably), is causing extreme internal rotation of the femur. The torso spins around ahead of the plant leg, causing the pelvis to externally rotate against the planted leg, causing the femur to internally rotate beyond the limits of natural flexibility. If you look at Simon, it looks like his hip (pelvis?) is still internally rotated at time of picture. Same with Paul. Their hip and femur seem to rotate together, as they rotate dynamically balance over the plant leg, leveraged off of the ground. It's almost as if rotation occurs "from the ground up", as a result of the natural forces at play. For me, rotation is happening from the torso down. Notice how my torso is completely facing targetward as my plant foot is just barely beginning to rotate. Yikes. Back to hammer throws it is.

Attachments

• Brace_Comparison.png
    Brace_Comparison.png
    964.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Paul.png
    Paul.png
    365.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Bad_Brace.png
    Bad_Brace.png
    704.8 KB · Views: 0
I have developed hip pain in my leading hip over the past few months of form work. I wanted to share some thoughts about it since I believe it is due to a common problem found among amateur throwers. The red squares below highlight a problematic and similar hip position in two amateurs (the "Bad_Brace" is me, with the screenshot taken right after the release, at what I believe is the apex of the problem. I have included a video as well). It seems like rounding and pulling through, caused by poor weight shift (among other things, probably), is causing extreme internal rotation of the femur. The torso spins around ahead of the plant leg, causing the pelvis to externally rotate against the planted leg, causing the femur to internally rotate beyond the limits of natural flexibility. If you look at Simon, it looks like his hip (pelvis?) is still internally rotated at time of picture. Same with Paul. Their hip and femur seem to rotate together, as they rotate dynamically balance over the plant leg, leveraged off of the ground. It's almost as if rotation occurs "from the ground up", as a result of the natural forces at play. For me, rotation is happening from the torso down. Notice how my torso is completely facing targetward as my plant foot is just barely beginning to rotate. Yikes. Back to hammer throws it is.

1. Your leading shoulder looks like it's externally rotating/"hugging yourself" into the pump and throw rather than "slashing through" more like a tool in good leverage. You'd injure yourself swinging a heavy thing that way. Move into the pocket like unscrewing a jar and let you arm naturally roll into a wide follow through.

2. You have your body mass trapped between your feet and rotating around a center axis rather than dynamically shifting with tilt back and forth. I think you need to:
a. In the image below, notice the orange line where Sidewinder has his tilted balance from head to foot, wheres you keep your body and spine too vertical through the shift. Hershyzer, Turbo Encabulator. This one is also deceptively brilliant.

b. You probably need some time with Door frame drills and Load the bow. Your body needs to be maintaining leverage into that rear leg the entire time your body mass is shifting forward in tilted axis. That will also help you from having both knees just swinging through together incorrectly.

3. I really do think many players would benefit from more natural locomotion actions. Your legs and weight shift need to work naturally the way they do for walking or running to power a throw. Swivel stairs, Elephant walk + Hammer x in full range of motion, sideways run 100 yards. "March" or "heave" the weight of the arm and disc back while you shift forward. Sidewinder is shifting his weight forward the whole time his upper body counterrotates back.

1693824988067.png

Last edited:
You are rotating your hips/pelvis open before you shift/brace from behind/closed. That is why your shoulder collapses and likely the hip pain.

Latest posts