• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throw far or putt good

I think the same formula applies to disc golf as to golf here - the idea of maximizing your "shots gained" tends to put more emphasis on your long game than your short game.

The golf analogy of "Drive for show, putt for dough" is not true. It's quoted all the time, but it's just not accurate. Tiger Woods, for example, in the years he was dominant made up WAY more shots on the field from long range than he did putting.

Power is a huge advantage, for two reasons. One, it lets you reach holes in fewer strokes. If a par three is 400' and you've got 300' of power, the odds of you birdieing it drop to almost nothing (how often you can make a 100' putt). A 400' thrower is going to birdie that hole more often than you.

Second, imagine a 500-yard par four in golf. Bubba Watson hits his driver 340 on the hole and has 160 in, so he hits a soft pitching wedge. Luke Donald hits his driver 300 on the hole and has 200 yards left, and he has to hit a 5-iron or a 4-iron. Not only is Bubba able to drive it farther, but his second shot is closer AND he gets to to power down from the same distance. If those two are playing a 200-yard par three, Bubba's hitting a 3/4 7-iron while Luke is still between 4-iron and 5-iron. That tight 300' hole might require a Saint for the 325' power guy but the 450' guy can throw a putter or a slow, super-stable mid-range disc. In other words, power leads to an increase in accuracy because you don't need to throw as hard, and a 3/4 7-iron is much more likely to be accurate than a hard 5-iron.

Let me put it another way: the best putter and the worst putter at a certain level aren't all that far apart. There are probably some 900-rated players who putt as well as a 1000-rated pro (just as there are some three handicappers in golf who can putt as well as a PGA Tour pro). Where the pro toasts them is in getting into putting range. The three handicapper takes an extra 0.4 shots per hole or whatever to get into the position to putt, then only manages to make up 0.5 strokes over 18 holes with better putting.

So the question isn't specific enough for me to give an answer - is the 500' thrower reasonably accurate, or is he literally missing his lines by 15°? How good is the putter exactly? Everyone's got to find the balance that lets them play the best golf, and you can't answer this question legitimately with the basic information given.

But don't underestimate how important power is to scoring well. In golf it's a BIG advantage. Several hard-core statistical articles have illustrated this recently. I wouldn't be surprised if it's similar to disc golf.

Let me put it another way: would you rather make every par putt you ever look at but rarely even see a birdie putts or would you rather six to eight more birdie and eagle opportunities, a lot more drop-in pars, and a few bogeys thrown in there because you're a little wilder with your added distance?

Sounds like the answer is accuracy. Getting longer helps a lot. Your chances of hitting a shot go way up when they are closer. But being on target beats pure distance every time.

There's no doubt that low scores come from a great short game where accuracy is really rewarded. If you don't have a solid putting game friends, you will not believe how much it opens up the game. You lose if you can't putt and when 25 foot putts don't scare you, you can run anything inside 100'. The game's more fun then.

So I'll take the good putt over the throw far.
I like to play upshot games trying to can 60, 75 and 90 foot shots. It's getting to where I enjoy upshot games more than rounds. Be sure to practice all kinds of odd lines because you never know when that's the window available.

It seems like the responses are maybe 40% putts, 40% drives, and 20% that avoid an answer and say they would choose both.

It's easy to say "I want this and I want that." If you had it all, could you so easily pick what you could live without?

My question is, if you could putt very well and drive 500', which skill would you sooner give up?

I'd rather lose my ability to putt. My scores would suffer I'm sure, but I could still enjoy throwing without major changes to the way I play. If I lost the ability to drive that far, how I play almost every hole would change (disc selection and line choice).

I pick putting because I consider myself a good putter and max out at 300'. But, I see the value in throwing longer for sure. I play with a guy who out drives me every hole but can't putt. He beats me almost every time because he has more tap ins while I have 20' putts. I think it's perspective. Those of us who have focused on putting because we can't drive as far pick putting. Those of you who have cannons for arms would choose D everytime. I wish I had both but the reality of my age and ability have forced me to focus on my short game.

at this point i'll take 'throw far'. i've spent lots of time working on putt/approach and it's taken my game much further than i thought i could go. i can play well enough to compete in MA1 (at least in this area) and top out around 350' golf D/375' max D, my rounds are between 940-980 in tournaments. if i could add 30-40' to my putter/mid/fairway driver shots then i can probably play competitively in open because i will have more scoring opportunities.

I think the same formula applies to disc golf as to golf here - the idea of maximizing your "shots gained" tends to put more emphasis on your long game than your short game.

The golf analogy of "Drive for show, putt for dough" is not true. It's quoted all the time, but it's just not accurate. Tiger Woods, for example, in the years he was dominant made up WAY more shots on the field from long range than he did putting.

Power is a huge advantage, for two reasons. One, it lets you reach holes in fewer strokes. If a par three is 400' and you've got 300' of power, the odds of you birdieing it drop to almost nothing (how often you can make a 100' putt). A 400' thrower is going to birdie that hole more often than you.
But don't underestimate how important power is to scoring well. In golf it's a BIG advantage. Several hard-core statistical articles have illustrated this recently. I wouldn't be surprised if it's similar to disc golf.

Let me put it another way: would you rather make every par putt you ever look at but rarely even see a birdie putts or would you rather six to eight more birdie and eagle opportunities, a lot more drop-in pars, and a few bogeys thrown in there because you're a little wilder with your added distance?

Sorry, the golf analogy really isn't all that effective an argument here, and it's because putting is much easier overall in disc golf than ball golf.

The best ball golf putters in the world are, what, 70% from 9 feet. Highest make percentage on the PGA tour this year from 9 feet was Davis Love at 71.43%. Of course the emphasis in that game has to be getting closer than 9 feet in as few shots as possible. 3 yards on a par 3 around 180 yards is 1.6% of the total distance required.

In disc golf, the distance where the best putters are going to around 70% is probably 20-25 feet, maybe more. It works out to a much larger percentage of the total length of the course that can be covered by putts at a distance where players are making at a 70%+ rate. 20 feet on a 500 foot hole is 4% of the total distance required. May not seem like a big deal, but consider that 500 foot holes are not all that common on most courses, so that percentage is likely going to be higher on most holes.

Big distance in disc golf can be neutralized much more effectively by course design than it can in ball golf. You don't find many ball golf holes where the total distance is 250 yards and a player with 250 yard distance absolutely can't get to the green. But there are plenty of disc golf holes of 400-500 feet in which the shape of the fairway makes it unlikely to reach the green even for a player with 500 foot power.

But on an 18 hole disc golf course, there are always going to be 18 opportunities to possibly have to make a putt from 10-20 feet. That's why I'd say it's more important and a bigger key to success to be a great putter from 20 feet or so than being able to throw 500 feet, accurately or not.

Someone could drop all their drives around the circle,but if they can't make the putt,their bad putting just trumped that good drive.

I don't care how good a person can throw,if they 2 putt most holes they are gaining nothing on the guy who takes 2 shots to get to the circle but drains the putt.

Second, imagine a 500-yard par four in golf. Bubba Watson hits his driver 340 on the hole and has 160 in, so he hits a soft pitching wedge. Luke Donald hits his driver 300 on the hole and has 200 yards left, and he has to hit a 5-iron or a 4-iron. Not only is Bubba able to drive it farther, but his second shot is closer AND he gets to to power down from the same distance. If those two are playing a 200-yard par three, Bubba's hitting a 3/4 7-iron while Luke is still between 4-iron and 5-iron. That tight 300' hole might require a Saint for the 325' power guy but the 450' guy can throw a putter or a slow, super-stable mid-range disc. In other words, power leads to an increase in accuracy because you don't need to throw as hard, and a 3/4 7-iron is much more likely to be accurate than a hard 5-iron.

And yet Luke is ranked 3rd in the world while Bubba is ranked 11th. Just sayin. :p

I've seen people who aren't egotistical about their drives throw no further than 225' but consistently beat all the big guns who get excited for the one hole a round where they can let one rip.

Really? I'm not aware of any highly-rated players that can only throw 225'.

Everyone seems to be throwing out all the hypothetical situations: if the hole was X ft but can drive Y then the this or that aspect is better. We can all construct a situation that supports our opinion. But what is the real distribution of hole lengths?

I would think that if you can dirve more than than 70-80% of the holes focus on putting. If you are stuck at less than 50% of the holes putting may keep you at par but par isn't good enough to be competitive.

And yet Luke is ranked 3rd in the world while Bubba is ranked 11th. Just sayin. :p
And Tiger and Rory are #1 and #2 (long hitters). And Bubba won a major while Luke routinely misses cuts or finishes well back in them.

The statistics paint a very clear picture in favor of a player's ability from 150-250 yards being a lot more important than being a better putter.

Putt,

That was
4477.easy_.png

My putting is ok I guess, but I do wish that I could throw a little farther.

It was really a simple question. Would you rather throw far or putt good?

Ball golf and disc golf are two different games,let's talk disc golf.

It was really a simple question. Would you rather throw far or putt good?

Ball golf and disc golf are two different games,let's talk disc golf.

Agreed, there has been a TON of ball golf talking recently I've noticed. Kind of annoying.

I think the most important throws are turly the 100'-200' throws. So the mid's, I mean, watching the best pros from these distances is WAY more amazing than watching them putt or drive.

So I say, Mid Range is the most important skill.

And think about it, Putts and midranges are used way more than distance drives...

Out of the two choices, I'd say putting hands down. But I agree with /\/\ about the approach game, especially on the longer/newer courses where par 4's and 5's are more common. If you can place your approach shot accurately to give you an easy birdie or the occasional eagle opportunity, that is where you can really lower your scores.

Tim S.

Latest posts