• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throwing High with Nose Down

you have just confirmed for me that "fighting with your head" is an aiming thing. throwing flat at a higher level is much much harder to keep nose down on higher lines, your much better off throwing either hyzer or anny actually.

as opposed to your question, basically aiming correctly brings intent to throw the disc successfully nose down and on lines. you cant throw 600' nose up with no turnover unless its nose down for most of its flight path.

generally throwing higher needs to be more focused on "intentionally" throwing it high with nose down. or in other words, "just go for it".

So my tendencies to try to throw flat and straight unless I'm going around obstacles actually hurts me, I'd be better off to work hyzers or annys for more disance and throw straight/flat when i have to? Is that what I'm sorta hearing here or am I still missing the point?

Crosseyed0811 said:
So my tendencies to try to throw flat and straight unless I'm going around obstacles actually hurts me, I'd be better off to work hyzers or annys for more disance and throw straight/flat when i have to? Is that what I'm sorta hearing here or am I still missing the point?

Yes and no. If you can throw flat and straight, awesome if it works for you. I have an easier time placing shots when working hyzers or anhyzers. Its easier for me to work different lines to range my shots rather than vary my power a whole lot. In this sense, I can throw my same predator on a 400 ft shot with a slight fade at the end or a 350 ft hyzer and, mechanically, it is the same shot for me. Its a matter of the line taken to get there. For me, the less I have to vary my power, the more consistent I can play.

Now when it comes to throwing high, throwing flat and straight is virtually impossible. You need to work a hyzer or anhzyer to get the height on it, otherwise the disc will stall.

kern9787 said:
Crosseyed0811 said:

Yes and no. If you can throw flat and straight, awesome if it works for you. I have an easier time placing shots when working hyzers or anhyzers. Its easier for me to work different lines to range my shots rather than vary my power a whole lot. In this sense, I can throw my same predator on a 400 ft shot with a slight fade at the end or a 350 ft hyzer and, mechanically, it is the same shot for me. Its a matter of the line taken to get there. For me, the less I have to vary my power, the more consistent I can play.

Now when it comes to throwing high, throwing flat and straight is virtually impossible. You need to work a hyzer or anhzyer to get the height on it, otherwise the disc will stall.

That has been what I've thought I was trying to do. See, I'm asking all the wrong questions and you guys are giving me loads of knowledge. Thanks! :)

your better off throwing from some sort of degree of angle rather than throwing flat yes. trying to throw flat hurts your intent. your better off throwing hyzer and working it over or an anhyzer working it over.

youll find you are way more consistent doing that than flat.

Yeah the part about aiming higher with and "intentionally" throwing nose down is huge. All I am thinking about is forcing that nose down. The body takes over with the weight shift and such because of practice.

I am not sure if it will help but I know Blake had posted some images of how to aim through points in the air. That might be useful if anyone knows where that post is.

zj1002 said:
I am not sure if it will help but I know Blake had posted some images of how to aim through points in the air. That might be useful if anyone knows where that post is.

apexthrow1.jpg

apexthrow2.jpg

Taken from Blake's Thread: Throwing through the apex vs. throwing to the apex.

I think I'm starting to understand...that I know nothing of throwing lines... I am ashamed to admit it. I don't even know where to start here, but these pictures and the other thread (beato had another picture there) have revealed to me I'm missing the game here. I've always taken the straight line approach when available, played the natural fade. This might be why I've always gravitated back to the Teebird as my main driver. Would I be better off changing my fairway driver up to something like an Eagle to work on learning how to throw more this way, or would my Leo's do fine? I feel like a complete noob now lol!

BTW, I've still not gotten to the course to throw with any of this stuff in mind, I've just been thinking about it at work all day.

I, too, have had difficulty throwing nose down with height. What helped me is to intentionally OAT the disc over on a hyzer-flip. It's difficult to replicate the precise amount of wrist roll everytime and it's more of an experiment but it has helped...mostly on distance lines though.

Crosseyed0811 said:
I think I'm starting to understand...that I know nothing of throwing lines... I am ashamed to admit it. I don't even know where to start here, but these pictures and the other thread (beato had another picture there) have revealed to me I'm missing the game here. I've always taken the straight line approach when available, played the natural fade. This might be why I've always gravitated back to the Teebird as my main driver. Would I be better off changing my fairway driver up to something like an Eagle to work on learning how to throw more this way, or would my Leo's do fine? I feel like a complete noob now lol!

BTW, I've still not gotten to the course to throw with any of this stuff in mind, I've just been thinking about it at work all day.

A teebird or leo are capable of working lines, but it doesn't come as naturally to those discs as others. A dx eagle-x comes highly recommended in regards to learning to work different lines as it is one of the most versatile fairway drivers you can come across.

Crosseyed0811 said:

I only use distance lines for...distance...

don't change your disc. Certain discs are better are certain lines but the disc won't matter. That type of line isn't always practical. In Austin there is only one course where I can throw pure distance lines more than 1-2 times a round. I can still throw just as far straight at a target, but I can get more "potential distance" when I air it out. That doesn't mean it is a reliable shot, and in most cases its best saved for distance contests. It does allow me to throw some huge anhyzers around objects that most people can't reach, but I need a good win. Watch any video up on dgplanet, most of them are throwing straight flat shots. Nikko would be an example of one of the top pros who throws a ton of flex lines successfully.

zj1002 said:
Crosseyed0811 said:

I only use distance lines for...distance...

don't change your disc. Certain discs are better are certain lines but the disc won't matter. That type of line isn't always practical. In Austin there is only one course where I can throw pure distance lines more than 1-2 times a round. I can still throw just as far straight at a target, but I can get more "potential distance" when I air it out. That doesn't mean it is a reliable shot, and in most cases its best saved for distance contests. It does allow me to throw some huge anhyzers around objects that most people can't reach, but I need a good win. Watch any video up on dgplanet, most of them are throwing straight flat shots. Nikko would be an example of one of the top pros who throws a ton of flex lines successfully.

I wasn't talking about just the distance lines, if you go to the thread that was linked with that picture you'll see beato talking about different lines on tunnel shots. I've actually been watching videos from USDGC vids I've got here and the like and honestly I'm seeing most of them work some sort of slight anny or hyzer on most shots. Or I thought I was... Like I said earlier in the thread I'm not a distance line thrower. I'm not looking for field distance, I'm looking to quit throwing shots that are nose up and stall on teh golf course when I try to throw anything other than a low line drive. That's what I thought we were talking about here?

That's what I was talking about cross, but throwing high with nose down is talked about most commonly with distance lines.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b6/Staplesbubble/tunnel.jpg

Edit: for the life of me I can't get this picture imbedded...

This is the picture I was speaking of. I would generally attempt to throw flat and straight down the middle. Typically with very little success to be honest.

That is just a way of eliminating half the fairway. Helps you focus in on the apex/breaking point. I use it to help me focus on some lines, mainly anhyzers

That's just the thing, I've never understood what people meant when they would say things like an Eagle is much better at shaping lines than a Teebird. It made no sense to me because basically all I would thow is straight and flat, or a "plain" hyzer or anny if I needed to go around something. Or FH with the same lines. I'm now seeing what they mean, I've never attempted or even thought of shaping a line like that.

Oh, and thanks kern, I actually missed your suggestion about a DX Eagle-X. I actually have one I was thinking about taking to PIAS tomorrow, maybe I'll hang onto it...

tunnel.jpg

Depending on the length of the hole (its hard to tell with the lines on it), I'd personally probably throw a hyzer flip at this. I'm assuming basket is dead straight down the fairway, and not tucked off to a side, as that would make a difference for me.

The reason I'd prefer a hyzer flip on that, from the looks of it at least, is that by doing so, I'm still throwing a straight shot, but pending disc selection, I won't see as much fade at the end. In essence, I can throw a straighter shot easier than trying to throw flat and straight.