• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throwing putter - OAT

TimZ

Hi Guys,

I am having trouble on my up shot. I've noticed it even more with my new Nova.

When I throw a Nova (even with hyzer) it stands up and turns over so fast it makes my head spin. Making me almost totally sure I am having off-axis torque at the end of the throw. Rolling the wrist / turning the disc over.

I also notice when I throw my Yeti Aviar hard, I have the same issue of it turning over way too much.

Can anyone offer any suggestions or visualizations, in order to keep the line clean on these short to long putter throws? I'll working on getting myself video'd for a next time.

Video will help.

Without seeing video, are you staying balanced through the throw? Are you falling to the left or right or forward after the throw? What kind of grip are you using?

Lower your pull through speed and let the glide do the work. Once you get them flying straight slowly increase the speed.

If you turn over something like an Envy, that would almost have to be OAT, even on full power throws.

On upshots, are you using a fan grip or power grip? How about full power throws?

I'll be the counter productive one and say WELCOME TO THE YETI CLUB! Max weight yetis have more bead definition if that's something that interests you.

For a visualization, try throwing a reasonable sweep hyzer angle (like 10-20 degrees), and around or just after release think about having your palm face down towards the ground. Keep your swing plane true, and make sure your hand faces downwards so you don't yank on anything. Of course don't turn your wrist down aggressively with the disc in your hand still...it's more of a good mental check for keeping your line/planes clean.

Hi Guys,

I am having trouble on my up shot. I've noticed it even more with my new Nova.

When I throw a Nova (even with hyzer) it stands up and turns over so fast it makes my head spin. Making me almost totally sure I am having off-axis torque at the end of the throw. Rolling the wrist / turning the disc over.

I also notice when I throw my Yeti Aviar hard, I have the same issue of it turning over way too much.

Can anyone offer any suggestions or visualizations, in order to keep the line clean on these short to long putter throws? I'll working on getting myself video'd for a next time.

Wobble/flutter? If not, it's not OAT.

https://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/technique/bhproblemsright.shtml#right
Your grip doesn't give a clean release.
Possible Fix:
A firm grip is necessary to get good snap and keep the disc on line, while a clean grip is necessary for the disc to leave your hand with enough spin and on a clean plane. If your grip is too tight or too loose it may start to cause problems. A firm grip will force the disc to "rip" out of your hand and with enough speed will enough an audible snap as one or more of your fingers will slap against your palm when the disc leaves. There is no general consensus on what is the "best" grip as all discs have different rim shapes and people have different sized hands. A few things that are consensus amongst most pros.
1. All 4 fingers should be on the rim or under the flight plate.
2. Your thumb should be pressed firm on top, pinching the disc between it and 1 or more fingers.

I know that not everyone will find all grips comfortable and if you have success with a grip that does not have all 4 fingers on the rim, but if you are having problems with disc flutter, you may want to consider trying a change of grip.

You are overpowering the disc.
Possible Fix:
Flutter caused by too much speed and not enough spin is quite common, especially with midrange discs and sidearm throws. A common misconception is that you want your arm and the disc to be moving as fast as possible to get maximum distance. The truth of the situation is that Force = Mass x Acceleration and while you want the disc to be moving fairly quickly, it is more important that you are putting as much acceleration on the disc as possible as opposed to raw speed. This means that although it might feel that you are getting more on the disc if you are muscling it with your arm, you can get more force by having a quick, fluid motion that uses your shoulders to whip your arm through for more acceleration and more spin.

Try easing up a bit on the power if you are having this problem. That doesn't mean to weenie arm it, you still want a firm throw, but think about where your power is coming from. If you are turning over discs you shouldn't work more on quickness and finesse with a firm grip rather than trying to strong-arm it. Also keep in mind that slower discs will be easier to overpower so you may have to hold back even more with your understable discs as well as midranges and putters. If your discs are very understable, you might be ready for more overstable discs but remember that there are pros out there that can throw Aviars 400' without turning them over due to their quickness and fluid technique.

From another thread.read other parts of dgr link.