• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throwing shoes?

BrotherDave

Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan
Diamond level trusted reviewer
I stumbled across these while thumbing through an Eastbay catalog, shoes specifically made for the track and field sports of javelin, discus, and shot putting. I wonder if there's any crossover potential for DG here?

I remember seeing one guy at a USDGC a few years back that changed shoes for his drives, can't remember his name. I think he just changed into some tennis shoes for driving but I can't remember.

2m81vmu.jpg

These are good for throwing.

I throw shot put and discus at Iowa State and I assure you those shoes would be terrible for disc golf. They are designed to be turned on quickly with very little grip on the bottom. And the ones without spikes are not designed for javelin. Nike has had that on their website for years and it is 100% wrong.

^what this guy said. they would be terrible for disc golf.

Lots of people throw shoes, ask apothecary.

(Vibram)

I would wear boots if I'm from where you are (Location: Broken Footsville).

I tend to thrash any tennis shoe on my home course. Those keens would last ~3 months, if my ankles survived (roll them on moutainous, muddy course).

I throw shot put and discus at Iowa State and I assure you those shoes would be terrible for disc golf. They are designed to be turned on quickly with very little grip on the bottom. And the ones without spikes are not designed for javelin. Nike has had that on their website for years and it is 100% wrong.

Exactly what I wanted to know, thanks. I'll just stick to the ol' Merrel's then.

I have to admit that it feels good to give useful information to someone with nearly 7000 more posts than me with my measly 5.

I have to admit that it feels good to give useful information to someone with nearly 7000 more posts than me with my measly 5.

Good hustle, n00b. ;)

Seriously though, thanks for the input. Around these parts, I don't ever think the schools can spell track & field much less play it.

I had a slight curiosity if some of these shoes had a sole that would provide a nice artificial pivot point that you could wear solely when driving. Maybe I'll get some Heelys and bust some 360 degree drives. :rolleyes:

Think of oily and frozen firm vibram putter rubber. That is the type of material on the soles of these shoes. Some have a little more grip but they are still designed to spin quickly on concrete. I would probably slip during the run up if I tried throwing in them and I've been wearing them for 7 years.

What if you used a standstill, just stepped into the throw?

You would have to be perfectly balanced over the ball of your foot just to keep from falling over from the weight shift. They slide on pavement far too easily to handle the straight line force needed to drive. You could probably do a wicked 540 after you threw though. Assuming you are still vertical. Just my opinion, but very bad idea for a disc golf shoe. Plus they are a pain to get on and off.

Sounds good. I prefer my wooden Dutch shoes anyway.

Latest posts