• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Thumb placement... the secret to better backhand?

Aim For The Chains

FROLF OFF!
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Noticed that changing the placement as well as the amount of pressure can impact the throw significantly.. Share where you put your thumb and why- Seems like lots of pressure from the tip of the pad further from the rim gives more power and speed while closer to the rim and less pressure provides control..

If you are throwing 500+ where do you put your thumb vs. upshots?

my guess is there are 2-3 people on here that can throw 500+ on demand

I like to keep my thumb on the top of the disc. And I believe moving your thumb around is just going to change the nose angle.

I read the thread title as "Thumb REPLACEMENT... the secret to better backhand?" Oops! :gross:

I try to keep my thumb flat and straight forward. Like holding a golf club, but with just the right hand. Or, like casting a fly fishing rod.
I used to stick it out a little bit towards the center of the disc, but I wasn't getting enough power from that grip, and it was just dragging too much on the release.

I throw 450 feet on demand and here's my thoughts on thumb placement -

look at where the top of the first bend in your index finger touches the rim. now look at that little arc of lighter stuff in your thumbnail. the place where the bend is in your index should be exactly below the the tangent line of that arc.

:thmbup:

look at where the top of the first bend in your index finger touches the rim. now look at that little arc of lighter stuff in your thumbnail. the place where the bend is in your index should be exactly below the the tangent line of that arc.

well said.

This^^, except the part about throwing 450' on demand. I can do it about 1 out of 10 throws right now :doh:.

Pictures? Im a visual type of guy.

Pictures? Im a visual type of guy.

This is the grip I use, and I am pretty sure this is what he was saying.
thumb01.jpg

Pictures? Im a visual guy

you guys.. I was joking... I can't really throw 450 on command. Just 400'

I was watching some videos of Dave, Nikko, Paul and Matt the other day and there was one wide open 510 hole and all of them came up about 50-70 feet short. Im beginning to think that even the pros can only throw around 450 on average.

Pretty sure you don't try and line things up using your lunula as well.

Yes I looked up that word.

And Golf distance is different than just distance. Disc selection is completely different and they normally use a different throwing technique as well.