• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tips for going lefty?

BrotherDave

Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Since my right arm is on the DL for a month or 2 I was wondering if anyone had advice learning to throw with the off hand? I'm planning on just using mids and putters since I won't have any D anyway.

Just reverse everything. When I went righty I turn my wrist 90 degrees so I don't turn the disc over. It might work for you, at least it does for me.

One of the regular here had surgery on one of the tendons in his hand and he played lefty for a few months. His score was not as bad as you may think.

He even got a left handed ace!

It helps if you try and do as many non-DG things as possible with your off hand to help condition it into being used. Hold your dinner utensils with it. Use it to click the buttons on the remote control or cell phone. Deal yourself a game of solitaire. Shoot free throws. Whatever you normally do with your dominant hand, flip flop it.

I drive Righty but Putt Lefty I am Left hand dominate, write left throw ball left bat left. I found when working on oppisite hand just practice the Dan Beato video is good also the Climo video. break it down to each movement.

You're talking forehand I presume? You might have to draw me a picture but I think I know what you are saying, put hyzer on the disc.

mirror your grip

Each time you set your grip (for awhile, anyway), set it up in your dominant hand first, then mirrot that grip with the off hand. This lets you check to make sure the grip is correct.

To strengthen your off hand (so you can get snap and control) squeeze a tennis ball whenever you've got time. Surfing the web, watching TV, etc.

Distance comes quicker than accuracy and consistency. Get your footwork down (maybe shorten it to three steps until you're consistent). Mid-range is tricky, you may need slightly different discs than you're using righty.

I didn't have an injury, but I decided to play this whole year lefty to develop an all-around game. It's been tough, and I have a hard time with both hyzers and anhyzers, but it's coming. Six months in I'm a much, much worse player lefty than righty, but I didn't expect it to come easy.

Good luck.

being ambidexterous(sp?) it came naturally for me.... i would suggest to start out by just putting left handed then work your way to approaches.... lead yourself up to driving with it.

Latest posts