• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] To catch a Predator

Predators have been my go to since 2014 or so. Initially picked one up to fill the overstable fairway slot, but that slot isn't what the predator magic is all about. I still bag the very first one I bought. 2013 elite z w/huk stamp. It has served my well for 8 years now. It's hyper flip to straight, considerable amount of turn without dumping, and as long as the wind is down, it will gradually come back to the left. I bag 4 to fill most any shot I need, but I still bag a Firebird. My most overstable predator serves to use for my straighter pred shots when the wind is up, but not for a meathook. It cannot compete with a Firebird as far as I'm concerned. Preds have a huge low speed fade, but I plenty of high speed turn and glide when seasoned slightly. I can push them past 500 (Nearly as far as my wraiths) but I throw them consistently on 425' or so actual golf shots. With a little bit of time, it's closer to a thunderbird with more fade than it is a Firebird. The only downside to bagging predators is you MUST be willing to build a good sized stash. New runs are not equal and they're getting a bit pricier.

I used to pump em out there pretty far too, the glide helps em keep up with straighter 10 and 11 speed discs. If you ever do want to try and boot the firebird for another pred, the cryztal flx ones were super beefy. I never threw them pre injury but I currently top out around 375 with a lightly used pred but would have to throw overhand or flex shot to push a cryztal sparkle much over 300'.

I get pairing it with a beefcake OS utility disc. I bag a Komodo as well as preds now. And when I did bag all preds, I usually felt I wanted something a little more OS when I played at sea level.

Curious... Are there any predator clones out there? Recently grabbed an old elite Z predator from pias. firebirds & their infinite disc + millennium copies still just arent doing it for me. The predator I grabbed had plenty of forward penetration but then consistently dumped hard. I want to go back to throwing predators. But first, is any other company out there making a clone of it? I love the way a predator feels in hand compared to a firebird. I think the diameter is slightly wider and thats what my hand loves but I'm still not the biggest fan of discraft's plastic.

Tsunami is the same mold right?

Tsunami is the pre-tooled pred mold if that makes sense. The pred, wildcat and OG talon were released at the same time and initial consensus was the Pred needed to be more overstable so they retooled it slightly.

I actually dug up an old tsunami thread I started years ago the other day looking for something else just yesterday.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/...5&t=2328&sid=bddfded512bf882195fbd26f5df5b470

its good to see that my attention stunk even worse when I was 20. :\