• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Total noob asks a question

zensuit

Par Member
I'm 49. I used to play Ball Golf and was a legit 1-3 handicap, not bad but compared to the really good guys I sucked.

I found Disc Golf this year and play mostly on a really tight, wooded, technical course.

I'm playing mostly with a couple of Buzzz and a couple of putters and scoring in the mid to low 60's. I'm still developing my drive so I'm relatively short but I can throw it far enough to handle most courses that aren't super long. I had some Ultimate experience so I can throw a disc backhand and sidearm and throw Hyzers and Anhyzers.

I watch group after group of expert level players throw as hard as they can off of every tee. Then I hear them at the putting area discuss their poor scores.

So here's the question:

Do you need to throw with power always to develop enough confidence to eventually bust out some low scores?

Or is this like Ball Golf where everybody tries to hit it long and very few people can?

Just curious,

Z

My $.02...I believe the phrase "drive for show, putt for dough" applies to both ball golf and disc golf. Getting big distance is a plus, but I've always felt that accuracy, consistency, and a good short game will help you more when it comes to lowering your score. I don't have a big arm like a lot of other open players, but I feel that my short game is pretty solid and I've never had much of a problem being consistent out on the course...which is what allows me to be at least somewhat competitive with my peers. It also helps to be well-rounded and be comfortable throwing many different types of throws (including those trick shots that a lot of people think you'll never actually use in a round).

I can't drive more than 300ft so I have really worked on my short and approach game to make up for it. Just make sure you have a good putter and work on you second shots and your putts. A big arm does not always get a big score.

i dont have a big arm either, so i just play short courses.

easy solution to the problem :)

300 ft

300 feet is a surprisingly long way. I suspect few people actually throw that far consistently. I appreciate the replies. I'm loving this but it's just like ball golf in that when you have a truly bad putting day you might as well pack it in!

Z

The 1000' holes are what seperate the men from the boys. Even if you throw 300' it will take 4 good throws before you can start putting.

I'm playing mostly with a couple of Buzzz and a couple of putters
Z

you may consider investing in a long distance driver because if you can learn to throw that consistant you will get more distance than with your Buzzz

Accuracy will keep you out of the shule and keep your scores lower. Length comes with practice. Watch some of the recommended clinic videos and then find an empty field to practice "driving for show." You'll be surprised at the results. You must have pretty good timing to be a 1-3 hndcp ball golfer and that will eventually translate to good timing in DG which is a large part of long driving. Try some of the beginner drivers and see what works for you.

300 feet is a surprisingly long way. I suspect few people actually throw that far consistently.
Not really. A lot of DGer's can throw 300'.

400' is more of the "magic" number distance. Throwing that distance consistently is much more rare.

ERic

I have never accurately measured my drive, but I doubt I consistently get past 300'....250+ with consistency is more like it, but I do find when playing with guys that can outdrive me I still compare fairly at the end of the round. Accuracy and consistancy, I believe, win out over long drives.....BUT both would be nice!

If you are long and accurate you have a leg up but if you don't know where your drive is going you will have some trouble scoring. If you can consistently put your approach shot close you will score well.

I agree with what others are saying, but I will add that once you gain a decent amount of accuracy and distance, it is better to throw the slowest speed disc that you can reach the pin with, especially when trying to hit gaps - comparable to using different clubs in golf so that you can use the same power swing every time

you never want to use "max" power, but throwing everything 90% or so allows for a more consistent release - if I can throw a mid range 300 and a driver 400, but the hole is only 290 ft., then I will use a mid range to make the shot (especially technical shots - wide open hole and I can play an easy hyzer with a driver instead)

Whatever age you are, if you're new to the sport, you have nowhere to go but up in terms of your drive distance. I wouldn't write this off yet, no matter how old you are. As you drive more, you're technique will improve and more spin with result in more distance. Lesson learned: when you get out-thrown by either a little girl or a senior citizen (I have been by both), you need to work on technique, not strength.

Many posters would agree, I think, in copying the ball golf ritual of the driving range. The nice thing about disc golf (one of the nice things:)) is that you don't need a driving range. Take some drivers out to an open field and throw, throw, throw. Nothing will improve your distance like this practice.

my thoughts

I agree with what others are saying, but I will add that once you gain a decent amount of accuracy and distance, it is better to throw the slowest speed disc that you can reach the pin with, especially when trying to hit gaps - comparable to using different clubs in golf so that you can use the same power swing every time

you never want to use "max" power, but throwing everything 90% or so allows for a more consistent release - if I can throw a mid range 300 and a driver 400, but the hole is only 290 ft., then I will use a mid range to make the shot (especially technical shots - wide open hole and I can play an easy hyzer with a driver instead)

I think that the goal for any disc golfer is to be able to throw both long and accurately and that is certainly possible. I agree with what bazkitcase has to say about throwing at 90%. You do lose some accuracy when you throw all out as hard as you can. The goal is to continue to push that ceiling up, so that what is 90% for you is gradually turning into longer throws as you continue in the sport. I don't belive in "drive for show, putt for dough". That makes it sound like driving is not as important as putting. You have to be able to drive long (and accurately) to set yourself up for the putt. There are many courses out there that don't have very long holes and on those your putting is very important to having a low score. The more difficult and what I would consider higher caliber courses have holes that are much longer than the 250-300 foot holes found on a lot of courses. Stand down the barrell of a 600-1000ft+ hole and you won't be thinking that driving is just for show.

Not really. A lot of DGer's can throw 300'.

400' is more of the "magic" number distance. Throwing that distance consistently is much more rare.

ERic

This is true. What you come to expect to be the norm is all determined by who you play with and what you see on a regular basis. I am a big beliver in playing with as many different throwers as you can and on as many different courses as you can. It will really make you better. Ask people questions about what they are doing and what they are throwing and pick up what you think will help you. I think that I have developed my game by doing this more than anything else. Play tournaments and minis as often as you can...and not at the same place every time with the same people every time.

Rusty...couldn't have said it better!!!.....I am one of the "weeny-arm" guys compared to most in the tourneys I play...however....my short/technical game keeps me in the match. If you play wooded courses mostly, distance is good, but accuracy is vital. I've actually beaten much better players than myself simply by staying in the "fairway". They get in open holes and can throw 350-400', where I can throw 275-325'. BUT....on the 300' TIGHT holes, or doglegs, they can't do the finesse shots that I USUALLY can do well on. Also, having the variety of shots in your bag <thumber, roller, forehand putt> is very key.

This has been fun to read. I did go out in a park near my house late yesterday and throw drivers (Archangel and Eagle) until I started to see a lot more glide. It really is timing and having a consistent release. It's almost as much fun to watch a high anhyzer from the Archangel as it was to hit a big draw in ball golf. I've been throwing the Buzzz as a driver on purpose because my arm speed hasn't been up to snuff. But if there are mythic 1000 foot holes out there...well...better get to work.

My arm is now rubber, my shoulder aches and my knees are sore. And the neighbors think I'm out of my mind.

It's fun being an old guy.

Thanks for all of the helpful replies.

Z

Latest posts