• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Totally new to the sport...looking for suggestions for bag.

Stefan

Totally new to the sport, being playing less then a month. And I currently own 7 discs, but looking for suggestions. Made a few mistakes so.
Got the Discraft Starter Set and purchased 3 others from local limited supplier.

So my bag at the moment:
Focus Pro D (175g)
Aviar Yeti Pro (175g)

Buzzz X (170-173g)
Mako3 Champion (180g)

Avenger SS X (173g)
Undertaker Biz Z (170-173g)
Corvette Champion (175g)

Got the Focus, Avenger,Buzzz and Taker in the starter, got impatient with the wait, and bought the Mako, Aviar and Corvette (big mistake).
Love the Buzzz and Avenger. Looking to get some putters to practice with, but limited options here. Like the Aviar for within circle, but prefer the Focus as approach. Can get a couple of Roach in Pro D and Bro and possibly a Nuke SS.

Looking for suggestions as again totally new. And have some overlaps already.
Getting around the 200-250 area for throws.

Nice read.
I'm looking to get more putters, but can't find any Focus. Would the Roach be a good options?

A Roach is fine.
But there's nothing wrong with sticking with your Focus, or Yeti Aviar.

Start with a putter that feels comfortable in your hand, using whatever grip and motion you naturally use.

How does the depth and profile feel in your hand? Do you prefer a stiffer putter, or softer blend?

Not saying all putters fly the same ('cause they don't), but putters and putting are much more about feel and confidence than they are about this mold vs. that mold.

As long a it's a relatively neutral putter (i.e. not very over or under stable), they're all fine. Just give yourself time to get used to it, and develop a feel for how it does (or doesn't) work for your putting style.

Last edited:
Like the Focus for longer putts, and the Yeti up close. Just having a hard time getting more Focus for practice and such. But can get a few Roach so..will see if I even like the feel.

The Mako3 I'm enjoying as well. Find it has a bigger fade then the Buzzz. Want another Buzzz for sure, different blend.

Hard to get discs here, and having to order online without feeling or trying is hard not knowing. There's a local that sells mostly Innova and Discmania.

FYI - Discraft's Focus, is basically a clone of the Wizard by Gateway. So if you like the Focus, but can't find more, see if you can find a Wizard.

You have a pretty good starter setup. I would encourage you to go out and play with the ones you have now....perhaps minus the Corvette. It is a little bigger disc that you are probably ready for. More discs and different plastic is not going to improve your game, and you are not likely ready to tell the difference. Get out, meet some disc golfers and have fun. You will know when you are ready for the plastic addiction.

So picked up 2 Roach Pro D and a Leopard3 G Star.
Really like the feel of the Roach, and the flight. Want to get some more practice in with them.

Going to work on what I have to try and improve. Corvette definitely taking a back seat.

So picked up 2 Roach Pro D and a Leopard3 G Star.
Really like the feel of the Roach, and the flight. Want to get some more practice in with them.

Going to work on what I have to try and improve. Corvette definitely taking a back seat.

Played a quick 9 tonight, didn't do great +9. Hit with a triple on hole 2. First OB. But my most used was the Roach. Used them for approaches and putts. Really like them. Didn't even take out the Focus or Yeti once.

That Leopard 3 will become your best friend. The guys on here all steered me the same way and my game improved like mad in a short amount of time because of their suggestions. Don't go nuts buying discs. I have almost two dozen sitting on a rack that were "no goods". (i'll retry them later on) I'd bag that Leopard, the Buzzz and that Aviar and focus on form and shot shaping. Incidentally my main driver DID turn out to be an Undertaker.....but much later on, as they suggested. I'm still working on my Destroyer. Baby steps. Take your time.

The Roach is a nice putter too. You'll probably shelve one of them until you need it, or for putting practice. I went with a pair of MVPs, one for throw, one for putt, then finally said "screw it" and just went to bagging one for both throw and putt. Less bag weight, less complication.

The Roach is a nice putter too. You'll probably shelve one of them until you need it, or for putting practice. I went with a pair of MVPs, one for throw, one for putt, then finally said "screw it" and just went to bagging one for both throw and putt. Less bag weight, less complication.

Really liking the Roach. Definitely will eventually get the Bro-D for putting putter. The Pro-D ones bang in quickly. I'm mostly using one to putt and just hold the other. Got a Zone for approaches which I love (love the Z line plastic).
I mostly use either a Roach or Zone for approaches, and maybe the Focus depending on wind. Find the Roach can get picked up by it.
Buzz and Mako3 I'm trying to really learn the shaping and feel of them. And I agree the Drivers aren't always the best. Trying to learn the form better, as I'm always trying to hard to overpower everything...we all want to hit that big driver of course.
Been using the "Taker and Avenger which I'm learning their flights as well. But definitely can't get the required distance (275 avg). Need to learn my "spin" vs just powering it.

Does anyone just do the one step BH?

Does anyone just do the one step BH?

All of my shots are sans x-step, including my teepad shots, which sometimes surprises my cardmates. My rationale is increased control with a minimal loss of distance, and I equate it to pitching a baseball vs throwing a ball from the outfield. Outfielders take steps and/or crow hop to fire the ball a long distance while pitchers wind up and deliver. In the outfielder's case, the brace comes at the end of the crow hop. In the pitcher's case, the windup sets the brace. I throw my discs like I'm pitching from the stretch (without the leg kick). This effectively makes it a two-step (the first step is backwards to load the spring and set the hips, then the next one crushes the can). By throwing this way, I never have to worry about a run-up or a foot fault. Definitely not trying to tell you how to throw, just giving my own anecdotes since you asked.

Oh and if you like Discraft putters, give jawbreaker plastic a try, unless you're one of those folks who only like putting with super rigid and slick putters. The jawbreaker Ringer GT is one of my all time favorite discs, but I also liked the JB Challenger and the JB Roach. Jawbreaker holds up better than Pro-D and has a slightly better grip (except in dusty conditions). I now use an even softer/grippy rubber putter (Daredevil Bighorn) which I prefer, but I do love Discraft putters in jawbreaker.

Being older, I was shown a way to throw that is easy on the joints but really rips a disc far without a run up. I don't know whether it's a "thing" or not but it works. I hold the disc at arms length in front of me as if I'm aiming. Then I keep the disc stationary while I "walk forwards and past it" until the disc arm is now at full reach back. Then I do the normal pull and follow through. Felt weird at first but after getting used to it the distance is very surprising and turned many pars into birdies.

Latest posts