• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tournaments for new Old guy

It was not sanctioned. I thought the might throw up a doc on dg scene. Nope. Just payouts, after party. I knew it would not be rated, but figured I would participate and observe
It was not sanctioned. I thought the might throw up a doc on dg scene. Nope. Just payouts, after party. I knew it would not be rated, but figured I would participate and observe
Look up other rated tournaments on the course you played. Find the layout you played (short/long) then match your score to one of the players in the tournament. Not 100% accurate but should give to a general idea of your rating for that event.

It's whatever you want. I'm an old newb, too. I kinda want to understand the PDGA rating system, even though I compete against myself and don't feel competitive.

I played a local C-tier thinking I could extrapolate a rating. No go. It was fun, and I had a sense I was somewhere in the middle of the pack. TD never even posted final scores, so I didn't learn anything.

More recently, I figured out I could get PDGA sanctioned league nights. That is a single round rather than 40 holes over a whole day or whatever. This morning I can see my first points and see how my round was rated. The unexpected benefit that I see, besides showing up and adding some cash to the event, is getting an idea about what I should/could be shooting on some smaller, local courses. Put another way, I shot one over last night, but that is a 788 rated round. That's a novice sort of rating, but I can now see that par on that course is probably around 800. I can see that I need to set an interim goal of -2 or -3.

Soon I'll have a real rating. That will give a TD something to go on, and they can place me where they want me based on how they think things should run. I'm definitely not the old guy that used to be competitive, but I sort of don't care who is on my card. Nothing wrong with showing up, paying, and supporting the local scene.

If you're ever curious what your non-sanctioned round would have been rated had you shot it in a sanctioned round, you can go to Disc Golf Scene, go to the course in question, go to events, find the latest past tournament with similar weather as your round, follow the link to the PDGA's page for the event, turn on "show round ratings" and look for somebody on the page who shot your score. This is assuming they played from the same tees and everything as you did.

Edit: I see that juddster had the same idea!

Look up other rated tournaments on the course you played. Find the layout you played (short/long) then match your score to one of the players in the tournament. Not 100% accurate but should give to a general idea of your rating for that event.
Extra holes, alternate pins. Didn't seem worth it

ru4por alludes to what I'm bout to say, but perhaps in a way that's less empathetic to someone new to the tournament side of disc golf.

That was incredibly helpful, thanks for taking the time to explain that.

I'm a late-starting beginner too (have thrown discs badly for a number of years, but just starting to take it more seriously). Knowing what to expect or possibly aim for helps me set some goals as I get close to retirement.