• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Towels, a problem for rookies

And pick up every dead leaf in the forest on your way past. :p
Hey, it's one way to leave the course cleaner than you found it. ;)

Maybe I missed it, but Birdie Bags work super well when it's wet enough for multiple towels. You use the towel to get most of the water off and then the Birdie Bag to really dry off the part of the disc you're going to throw.

Microseude and microfiber are very different.

For damp conditions I keep a small microfiber towel in my pocket to dry my fingers before throwing, but it never leaves my pocket so it shouldn't be collecting leaves and debris.

Otherwise I just add grommets to dish towels for wiping discs.

And pick up every dead leaf in the forest on your way past. :p

One of the less noticed advantages of a backpack bag is that you can hook a towel on it high enough that you don't have to worry about it dragging on the ground.

I found some microfiber towels at Target in the automotive section that have been the bee's knees. They're not the normal "fuzzy towel" style texture, but more of a waffle knit, kind of like you see on some dish towels. They have all the absorbency and quick drying of normal microfiber, but are way less prone to picking up leaves. Unfortunately, they were marked down for clearance, so YMMV.

Also, no need to get fancy with a grommet kit, just poke a hole in the corner and push a carabiner through. Holds up fine.

Why purchase when you can just pick up random ones you find on the course? ;):sick:

LOL, so true. I think next to beer cans, lost towels are the 2nd most common item I see on the course. Beware picking one up though, you never know what it was used for. :gross:

http://www.heavydisc.com/2014/01/beware-bad-towel.html - Beware the Bad Towel, people.

In all seriousness, I've always stuck to just carrying multiples of "dish" type cotton towels. As long as you ziploc them in the rain, they just work better for me than microfiber. They're more absorbent, leaving the disc completely dry instead of moist and clammy. You can leave the soaked ones in a box in the car to be thrown in with the wash when you get home, or even toss them altogether if they're filthy/stinking because they're only a buck each.

I'm sure some of the high end, more expensive microfibers are probably better than what I've used and perfect for golf, but basically I haven't taken the time to fix what isn't broken.

My solution is to carry a cotton towel on the outside of my bag and a microfiber inside. The cotton towel takes the dirt and debris and a lot of the water off, then the microfiber gets the disc nice and dry without getting a bunch of crap stuck in it.

I just keep my towels, which are standard dish/cleaning towels, in a side pocket of my bag. Don't get wet, don't drag on the ground, clean discs, does make that pocket direty, but I just use the same one, so I don't mind. Sometimes I seem to play really well on days I need to wipe my discs after every throw. I think it forces me to think about the next shot and what disc to use, and makes this consistent ritual before each throw that kind of focuses my mind.

For me it's all about the 100% cotton coarse fiber towel from the dollar store. Can't beat the price and you never have to worry about picking up all the debris from the course.

Latest posts