• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trying to avoid disc overlap

BrotherDave

Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan
Diamond level trusted reviewer
I want to lessen the number of discs I carry to about 8-9 so that I can improve instead of having a million discs I can't throw well. Based on Blake Takkunen's article on disc selection overlap https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/discoverlap.shtml I've narrowed it down to these choices:

Star TeeBird, 174, for stable control driver.
Champion Boss, 175, for Distance driver.
Star Sidewinder, 172, Understable Driver.
Star StarFire, 175, Moderately Overstable
Star Max, 175, Very Overstable.

dx Roc, 180, and Star Skeeter, 169, for Midranges
dx classic Roc and dx XD for P&A, both 175.

Those that didn't make the cut: 172 Champions Beast, Monarch, and Roadrunner. 175 Champions Valkyrie, Wraith, and Orc. 174 Champion Groove, 178 Ch. Aero, 172 Warlock SSS, 169 Star Destroyer, 175 Stars Xcaliber and TeeRex, 171 Star Spider, Elite Z Xtra (weight unknown).

God Bless anyone with advice or opinions on this. Yeah, I know I need to try more Discraft, they're just not sold much locally so I've been iffy. I feel my midranges are a little weak, like to add a Stingray one day. Thanks.

Looking at the disc comparison chart at http://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.com/disc_golf_flightguide.html ,
you'll see Overstable, Stable, and Understable across the top, Slow/Fast Mids, Very/Pretty Fast Drivers, Wicked/Warp Drivers.
Let's say you want ten discs - a putter, and one disc from each category. What do you have, and what do you lack?

You are very heavy in the Wicked/Warp Drivers - 14 of your discs fall into this row.
For your Wicked/Warp Overstable Driver, pick one of the following: Boss, STARFIRE, Max, Xcalibur, TeeRex.
For your Wicked/Warp Stable Driver, pick one of the following: BEAST, Orc, Wraith, Groove, Destroyer
For your Wicked/Warp Understable Driver, pick one of the following: SIDEWINDER, Roadrunner, Monarch, Valkyrie

You only have one disc in the Very/Pretty Fast category - the Stable TeeBird.
For Overstable, I'd suggest: FIREBIRD
For Understable, I'd suggest: LEOPARD (although its not THAT understable - maybe an Archangel would be better)

Your other discs are considered Fast/Slow Stable Mid-ranges.
Choose one of the following: Skeeter, ROC, Aero, Spider
For Overstable, I'd suggest: Pig
For Understable, I'd suggest: STINGRAY (although I personally have a lot of success with my COBRA).

My recommendations are in CAPS, and these are discs I own and throw quite a bit.

Nine discs like this will theoretically give you the widest range of speed and stability with minimal overlap. The bag I carry follows this pattern, except that I have no Overstable Fast/Slow Mid (but the Spider I use certainly behaves overstable for me!)

I would recomend a Surge SS more controlable than Sidewinder and longer just My opinion

My Sidewinder is the only disc I've aced with and therefor has a special place in my heart as well as my bag. Surge SS looks like a cross between a Wraith and a Beast. I've never gotten into my Beast, don't know why. I used to love my Wraith till I beat it in too flippy.

For Overstable, I'd suggest: FIREBIRD
For Understable, I'd suggest: LEOPARD (although its not THAT understable - maybe an Archangel would be better)
Nice recommendations but I'm curious about the Firebird one though, it seems kind of one dimensional being a fairly slow, hard fading disc. Do you throw sidearm because it seems good for that but I don't know for RHBH. The Leopard is definitely gaining consideration as my next fairway driver. I just got the TeeBird yesterday so I'll probably branch off depending how I like it.

Lots of info though, good stuff. Nice find on that Marshall Street chart, that's handy having all the discs in one chart like that.

The Firebird is generally considered a "true" overstable driver and is therefore recommended for your overstable slot. I use my overstable disc (a Banshee, just my preference) for windy days, sidearms, overhead shots and spike hyzers. Besides that, the setup you mentioned in your initial post seems fairly solid. Some might suggest that once your TeeBird wears in a bit to pick another one up and cycle them to have discs of the same mold in varying stabilities.

The Firebird is generally considered a "true" overstable driver and is therefore recommended for your overstable slot.

So... my Max is a "false" overstable driver? I'm a wee bit confused on that one.

I want to lessen the number of discs I carry to about 8-9 so that I can improve instead of having a million discs I can't throw well. Based on Blake Takkunen's article on disc selection overlap https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/discoverlap.shtml I've narrowed it down to these choices:

Those that didn't make the cut: 172 Champions Beast, Monarch, and Roadrunner. 175 Champions Valkyrie, Wraith, and Orc. 174 Champion Groove, 178 Ch. Aero, 172 Warlock SSS, 169 Star Destroyer, 175 Stars Xcaliber and TeeRex, 171 Star Spider, Elite Z Xtra (weight unknown).

God Bless anyone with advice or opinions on this. Yeah, I know I need to try more Discraft, they're just not sold much locally so I've been iffy. I feel my midranges are a little weak, like to add a Stingray one day. Thanks.
You have a good start, just keep working with it. Switching to minimalism can be frustrating at first, but once you spend more time working with the discs in your bag and executing a variety of shots with them the game just gets a whole lot easier.

I think you will find after awhile that you only need one putt and approach disc. There isn't a whole lot of difference between a Classic Roc and an XD.

You will also probably find a better midrange set-up. Both the Skeeter and Roc are good discs, but I'd compliment the Roc with something less stable or the Skeeter with something more stable.

I wouldn't carry both a Starfire and Boss, as for me they overlap a lot. If you have a clear use for both of them, then that's great. You might find that you don't use one of them a lot, which is a really easy way to figure out that you don't need a disc in your bag.

Very Nice selection.

Unlike previously stated there is no reason to add to that, you have everyshot covered. You can Minimize further by:

Using a Roc as all of ydour midrange duties, if the Roc is too stable to handle anhyzers and straight shots with no fade then hold onto the skeeter until the Roc gets beat in, then you can buy a new Roc and have one for stable and understable.

If Im not mistaken the XD and CLassic Roc are the same mold just the Classic has a bead. Regardless you could go to one mold here.

Drivers look good.

Teebird is versatile enough to handle all of the fairway duties, no reason to add a leopard to compliment it, much like in midrange, if you want something less stable here the teebird will break into a understable fairway, however they will hold great anhyzer lines straight out the box.

Max can handle your headwind duties and although I dont throw them I have heard it makes great for overhand and forehand.

Sidewinder is a great understable slot and can serve as a good roller.

Boss = distance shots

Starfire will compliment your bag nicely as your moderate stable driver. Some will say that the teebird does this, but I personally think you should keep both.

Your concept of how to put together a bag, assuming you belive that article (which I do) is spot on. Whether or not thosespecific discs are the best choices will depend on your skill and how far you throw.

Your concept of how to put together a bag, assuming you belive that article (which I do) is spot on. Whether or not thosespecific discs are the best choices will depend on your skill and how far you throw.

I don't have the biggest arm (yet) but I don't have a puny one either. I typically throw anywhere between 290-340 ft, have thrown my Boss over 400 ft when the occasion called for it. I feel my form is fairly good but I'd like to add more control to my power, especially fine tuning all the main BH shots (hyzers, annys, hyzer flips, etc) I hoping the TeeBird will help me learn all this the quickest. I might add a TL or something like it to complement the Teebird or I'll probably just beat in the Teebird first.

Really appreciate the feedback guys, thanks.

I don't have the biggest arm (yet) but I don't have a puny one either. I typically throw anywhere between 290-340 ft, have thrown my Boss over 400 ft when the occasion called for it. I feel my form is fairly good but I'd like to add more control to my power, especially fine tuning all the main BH shots (hyzers, annys, hyzer flips, etc) I hoping the TeeBird will help me learn all this the quickest. I might add a TL or something like it to complement the Teebird or I'll probably just beat in the Teebird first.

Really appreciate the feedback guys, thanks.
IMO, the Teebird isn't a very good disc to use to learn that stuff and the Champ version makes it a bit worse. Something like a DX Gazelle, DX Eagle-X or D Cyclone will be way better. The TL will work better than the Teebird, but not nearly as well as the other discs I mentioned.

I'll also echo that you may want to look into a different disc for your very overstable slot. The Max will probably work almost all the time but if you ever get into a really strong headwind and/or you improve your distance you might find it won't hold a hyzer as well as some other discs like the Z Predator, Champ Firebird or E Spirit.

That is a great bag and almost identical to mine but it's missing one thing...a slow stable putter for shorter up shots. Sure you can use the Skeeter or XD inside 100' but these are pretty fast discs. You will have much less chance of flying too far past the basket with one of the many putt & appraoach discs that have copy-catted the Aviar. I like the beadless aviar for short approaches and putting. It always seems to land within 10 feet even if you mess up.

I say add the Pro Pig. It will handle monster winds and is a good sidearm approach disc within 100'.

Really, the choice of putter is a personal thing. I used the XD for a few years when I started because I liked the feel of the low-profile disc. Once I got tired of the long blow-bys the XD gives you when you miss I buckled down and got serious about getting comfortable with the Aviar. At first the XD stayed in my bag for long putts and short approaches, but soon I learned that I really did not need a disc in-between an Aviar and a Roc and the XD's hit the shelf.

I also had a Stingray for turnover drives and rollers, but after a while I noticed I never threw it. I beat up a Roc that was great for turnover mid shots and I beat up a Cyclone that was great for turnover drives and rollers. So I could carry Rocs and Cyclones in various stages of wear and get rid of the Stingrays. It was all part of the process of figuring out how my bag would work. At that point I only needed four molds to cover all my shots, which was a cool bag...Aviar, Roc, Cyclone, X-Clone. :cool: Since then all the high-speed drivers have showed up and now I have to carry seven molds. :(

I've got some sweet fly dye XClones for ya if you wanna go back ;)

[...] I beat up a Roc that was great for turnover mid shots and I beat up a Cyclone that was great for turnover drives and rollers. So I could carry Rocs and Cyclones in various stages of wear and get rid of the Stingrays.
I wish I could keep discs in my bag long enough to get beat up... but I keep tossing them in lakes.

ERic

That is a great bag and almost identical to mine but it's missing one thing...a slow stable putter for shorter up shots. Sure you can use the Skeeter or XD inside 100' but these are pretty fast discs. You will have much less chance of flying too far past the basket with one of the many putt & appraoach discs that have copy-catted the Aviar. I like the beadless aviar for short approaches and putting. It always seems to land within 10 feet even if you mess up.

Yeah, I played all day yesterday and the blow bys were killing me. I really like my Warlock, I think I'll just get a firmer one and stick with it. I can't stand beaded putters, for some reason aviars and me just don't get along.

IMO, the Teebird isn't a very good disc to use to learn that stuff and the Champ version makes it a bit worse. Something like a DX Gazelle, DX Eagle-X or D Cyclone will be way better. The TL will work better than the Teebird, but not nearly as well as the other discs I mentioned.

I'll also echo that you may want to look into a different disc for your very overstable slot. The Max will probably work almost all the time but if you ever get into a really strong headwind and/or you improve your distance you might find it won't hold a hyzer as well as some other discs like the Z Predator, Champ Firebird or E Spirit.

Ooh, I was hoping you wouldn't bring up DX or D plastic, I play wooded holes a lot. Of course, if it's a learner it wouldn't matter much since I'll be in my field with it. Someone will have to explain to me about differences between the Eagles. Cyclone does look tempting, is it molded like the Eagle? I had a DX Eagle when I first started playing that I instantly warped with frequent tree smacks. I had no form and couldn't throw for shat but I remember thinking the rim seemed oft-putting to me. Probably less of a factor since I've grown in DG wisdom.

Latest posts