• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Two Putters: Inside & Outside the Circle

Do you use different putters depending on distance?

• Total voters

U_NICED_ME

* Ace Member *
Anyone using two putters? One for inside the circle and one for outside the circle? I noticed in Borg's bag he has a 172 g putter for 30+ putts.

I've wondered a few things:
1. Should I use a lighter putter for better "D"?
2. Should I use a more stable putter to prevent occasional turnovers for the extra 'oomph' I'm putting on it?
3. Should I just learn how to do all putts with my main putter?

I throw an FLX Challenger for all my approaches and putts. Ya get better acquainted with one disc.
Sucks for distance drives. It wants to sink, but thats a good thing in my book.

I do. I have a S Ion and a M Ion. Any putt I feel like I have a realistic shot of hitting chains I use the Medium. Long putts and approaches are Soft territory b/c they "stick" to where ever they land better.

As far as your 3 questions go, I don't think there's an absolute answer or right way of doing it. But for me:
1. Yes. I use a slightly lighter putter, not much, just a few grams.
2. You mean mask OAT? No. If you have to put extra 'oomph' on it you should be putting it on a hyzer line for safety's sake IMO, and anybody should be able to do that with their putter.
3. That's the way to go if you can cut it.

No. You would have to dedicate equal practice time to each putter, and would be less confident in both putters

Distance doesn't matter, the line you need to putt on does. I have three putters that I carry with me every round. They all get used in different situations, mostly depending on the putting line I need to hit. Distance in terms of the line does make a difference but in general it is not about distance.

I do. I have a S Ion and a M Ion. Any putt I feel like I have a realistic shot of hitting chains I use the Medium. Long putts and approaches are Soft territory b/c they "stick" to where ever they land better.

As far as your 3 questions go, I don't think there's an absolute answer or right way of doing it. But for me:
2. You mean mask OAT? No. If you have to put extra 'oomph' on it you should be putting it on a hyzer line for safety's sake IMO, and anybody should be able to do that with their putter.

Makes sense. And, no I haven't been putting my putter on enough of a hyzer line probably when I'm going for long putts. It looks stupid when I try to go for a long putt and wind up sending it high and right.

I am going to try the lighter (it would be from 172 to 169g) on a more hyzer line and see how it goes. Thanks.

I was thinking that it would be better to use a putter that is less stable for long putts so it doesn't hyzer out too quickly.

You're probably right. I think I'm just so busy trying to get the disc to the basket that I'm not thinking as much about my form.

I throw an FLX Challenger for all my approaches and putts. Ya get better acquainted with one disc.
Sucks for distance drives. It wants to sink, but thats a good thing in my book.

Yea, I am definitely getting acquainted with my putter. I love it actually. I just wondered if it might make a difference to try something a little different for the long putts. My accuracy with them sux.

I answered 'yes' but there is a caveat. I use the same mold. I have two putters that are the same, I just use one for long putts and one for shorter putts. I actually carry a third for long approaches and drives. It is a mental thing, I just like every disc I carry to have a very specific job. I don't mind carrying extra discs since I have only one (large) bag and I always keep it prepared for any course or situation. I like the idea of two putters, but if you want to simplify your game there really is no need for it.

I use the same mold, Voodoos, both inside and outside of the circle. However I use the HPP Voodoos for up shots because the soft ones I use inside the circle would get too beat up with as many trees as I hit :/

i say yes....
but its not for any purpose other than functionality and creating a separate purpose with each shot; discs do different things at different ranges.

when you realize there are 4 different functions (and shots) of putting you realize that one disc may not suit all 4 or your own personal physical limitations and/or throwing style. it amazes me how picking up an ion or skeeter (or dart) makes people realize that there is a putting range that blurs the lines of a short approach; they extend their accuracy in the max ranges and they realize they have the skill to target up to 75' (100' for some).

Gimme: 0-10
Putt: 10-40
Short Approach Attack: 40-100'
Approach Putt: (any putt not attacking the basket)

The realization of these 4 distinct shots allows you to determine your own disc needs.

Once again...(great)ly impaired minds think alike!

I use a soft first run 165g Ion for distance ups and putting (unless very windy then I use soft 174 or medium)

Medium ion 174 for 20 feet and in

Both are shaving strokes for me and increasing my effective range

Once again...(great)ly impaired minds think alike!

I use a soft first run 165g Ion for distance ups and putting (unless very windy then I use soft 174 or medium)

Medium ion 174 for 20 feet and in

Both are shaving strokes for me and increasing my effective range

I can't wait for MVP to make another run of light Softs, I have one but it's strictly a wall hanger, it's my Russian ikon. I'd love to have a light one to mix it up, especially for some jump putts. Right now I'm using a 172 S and a 175 M. :hfive:

I use tons of putters, but all the same mold, voodoo,

I have a super beat soft for annys or quick turnovers, a decently seasoned for straight or late turnovers (also my main putter), and a hpp for hyzers and long drives. Then I have tons of backups/practice putters (I'm up to 12 voodoos now total)

So, yes if you mean discs, no if you mean molds.

I can't wait for MVP to make another run of light Softs, I have one but it's strictly a wall hanger, it's my Russian ikon. I'd love to have a light one to mix it up, especially for some jump putts. Right now I'm using a 172 S and a 175 M. :hfive:

Yeah
They need to re-issue the lights. I didn't like my light soft at first but I am getting used to it. I might even buy a lightweight medium if they existed.
It'd be cool if they redid the nutty orange/red rim too....easy to differentiate in the bag.

Last edited:
Inside the circle (more like 40', depending on terrain):
Pro Rhyno thrown as a push putt with standard weight transfer. The Rhyno's overstability is like a crutch to lean on for a large margin of error when throwing a putt, which I find good for shorter putts.

Outside the circle:
Star Dart from a standstill or with minimal weight transfer. I find the Dart to be as advertised: a point-and-shoot disc that requires no thought or technique. I despise it for being so mindless (the putting motion, anyway), but keep being shocked by the (significantly higher) % of long-range putts I make with my Dart compared to any other putter.

My bag's putter pocket fits two discs, so I can easily use a Rhyno/Dart tandem. For tweener putts, I'll grab both, walk to the lie, and quickly select what feels more natural.

Anyone using two putters? One for inside the circle and one for outside the circle? I noticed in Borg's bag he has a 172 g putter for 30+ putts.

I've wondered a few things:
1. Should I use a lighter putter for better "D"?
2. Should I use a more stable putter to prevent occasional turnovers for the extra 'oomph' I'm putting on it?
3. Should I just learn how to do all putts with my main putter?

I will have to concur with the individual that said there's on absolute to your question. This is something you will have to tinker around with to see what feels good according to your style of putting and gives you confidence. This past season, in about 8 months (March late October) time I've change & used 7 different putters, 2 mids as my putter, and tinkered around with weights ranging from 165-175; which has cost me about a dozen tournaments and many league wins . All this is say what I said in my second sentence.

I am happy to say that I have now settled on 3 putters, 2 mold. 173 grip line pure for driving < 300 ft. or putting on hot sticky summer days. 173 zero line pure for putting regardless of distance. Anything about 80 ft. or so I am putting and going for the birdie b/c even if I was to throw an approach shot I would leave myself with an easy par shot and the way I see it, is if I'm gonna leave myself with an easy par then I might as well go for the birdie and worse case scenario, an easy 7 ft. par shot. Lastly, I have my 172 sinus AP for any big head wind putting regardless of distance. I only use these putters simply b/c I am familiar with them, understand their flight path and behavior, and b/c the pures feel friggin' awesome in my hands. All my putting is with one putter unless mother nature dictates otherwise. I release all my putts flat and I know the majority releases them with hyzer.

Find a putter that feels good in your hands and compliments your putting style (it's flight path) and just go out there and practice putting from every possible angles and situations. Do what you have to do to make more putts and lower your scores, that's what it all boils down to.

Latest posts