• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

UDISC ups price to $30/year - does DGCR still have a free mobile app for scorekeeping?

Free versions tend to disappear rather quickly. As for "upgrading the app", who really thinks that the $30 version is categorically different from the $5?

One who is being bled by leeches may choose to view them as medicine. Another option is to pull out the old salt shaker and start plucking them off.

Looks like I can still filter out already played courses on Udisc without paying. I rarely use it, but when I do it's usually to check for any courses missing from the dgcr directory for a given area. I'll occasionally use the map feature, but usually can find my way around without it.

So the free version does what I need it to do. If they were to put everything behind a paywall, I'd quit using udisc entirely.

Well, I will be renewing, but then I get my money's worth out of it.

IF DGCR could build something similar, it would be more than worth it.

I too will be renewing.
We use Live scoring 3 times a week (2 bag tag rounds, 1 random doubles). Live scoring really raises the quality of the rounds. Everyone loves it.

I'm definitely not happy about udisc doubling their price, but I don't think there is an alternative app that offers live scoring.

Does Infinite Discs still run a scorecard app? They used to back when I was also using EasyScoreCard. They used to give points for rounds, courses uploaded, reviews, pics, etc.

May be time for them up their game....if they are still even in the game.

I too will be renewing.
We use Live scoring 3 times a week (2 bag tag rounds, 1 random doubles). Live scoring really raises the quality of the rounds. Everyone loves it.

I'm definitely not happy about udisc doubling their price, but I don't think there is an alternative app that offers live scoring.
Ultimately, they make my choice easy since I rarely use the app. Doubling the price means they need a lot more people like you that actually depend on it regularly. Seems like a huge tradeoff that will be close to net zero gain in revenue with an overall decrease in users/exposure.

Ultimately, they make my choice easy since I rarely use the app. Doubling the price means they need a lot more people like you that actually depend on it regularly. Seems like a huge tradeoff that will be close to net zero gain in revenue with an overall decrease in users/exposure.
And a corresponding decrease in costs. I would assume their aim is to increase the revenue per user, even if that results in fewer users.

BTW, I agree, they are not going to bring in any more money in my opinion. I was not all that happy with the last price increase, but even today, I used UDisc to look for courses for my next disc golf day. (found 2 not listed on DGCR, one private, one public)

As a pretty much all recreation player, I know UDISC is needed for tournaments. Do I need to pay for it to play them?

I'll add one more thought to the mix. I'll pay an extra $15 per year if that's what it takes to keep something ad-free. At least they haven't added those to the free tier yet, but it seems like maybe that's something they might be considering...

So you'll pay twice as much to avoid the ads that the free one doesn't have? I'm confused...

Not that it matters in the long run. The free versions will disappear as soon as they hit their revenue targets. They are banking on hitting them earlier at $30/pop.

#greedisntgood

As a pretty much all recreation player, I know UDISC is needed for tournaments. Do I need to pay for it to play them?
That isn't quite true. A bunch, if not the majority, of tournament and even league play use PDGA Live. Some tournaments use uDisc as a secondary method of scoring.

That isn't quite true. A bunch, if not the majority, of tournament and even league play use PDGA Live. Some tournaments use uDisc as a secondary method of scoring.
Thanks for the clarification I know on DGN they mention UDisc a lot

So you'll pay twice as much to avoid the ads that the free one doesn't have? I'm confused...

Not that it matters in the long run. The free versions will disappear as soon as they hit their revenue targets. They are banking on hitting them earlier at $30/pop.

#greedisntgood
My point was that the free one doesn't have ads YET. It's possible that this is part of priming the consumer base to add them.

I hear people mention add for DGCR yet I really never see any. But then I don't often use the app, I use DGCR to plan my trips and keep track of my courses played. I use UDisc when out collecting.

I'll add one more thought to the mix. I'll pay an extra $15 per year if that's what it takes to keep something ad-free. At least they haven't added those to the free tier yet, but it seems like maybe that's something they might be considering...
I have been using the free app for a few years and never have even noticed any ads.

That isn't quite true either. Most SANCTIONED tournaments use PDGA live scoring. Most UNSANCTIONED tournaments use UDisc. In my area, there are likely more unsanctioned options on any given weekend than not. Non sanctioned leagues also use UDisc, for the most part.

Well, DGCR is now $30 a year too..........

Just paid that, they better get things rolling better.

GIVE ME BACK THE TRIP LOGS