• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

VA / WV / PA / OH / MI

Mike C

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Thinking about going on a road trip sometime over the next month. About a week, maybe a bit longer. I have a few courses planned out, still trying to figure out what all I should play in VA / WV, and if I go to MI I have no clue where I'll throw outside of the two I've chosen.

Anyways here's a rough itinerary.

Day 1 - Drive to Meadows of Dan, VA in the morning to film a round at Primland. Drive north through VA and WV, stopping at one or two more 18 hole courses depending on time. Spend the night in WV.

Day 2 - Drive to Deer Lakes, then two mile run extension. Play Moraine's shortest tees if there's time, then camp at Moraine State Park.

Day 3 - Film Moraine Golds as soon as the sun is up. Head west to Ohio after the round, either driving all the way to Canton, meeting up with friends and throwing a round at Arboretum, or stopping by East Liverpool for a round. Either way, ending the night in Canton at my friends place.

Day 4 - Deis Hill Blues in the morning, north to Springwood Camp Club DGC to see if its 9 or 27 holes currently, swing by Wildwood in Louisville, then finish up filming Portage Lakes longs.

Day 5 - Arboretum (Hopefully all 24 holes are up) and Oak Ledges, then drive towards flip city, grabbing a motel whenever I get sleepy.

Day 6 - Film Flip City and Leviathan. Maybe see if anyone at MVP HQ wants to do some field work for fun.

Day 7 - Drive back home, possibly swinging by Idlewild on the way.

I'm trying to do a mix of 4.5/5+ rated destination courses, and my personal favorites from the OH/PA area. I've got a few ideas to fill on the VA/WV leg, but I'd like to hear from some others that are more familiar with the courses there.

Last edited:
Armco Pk in Ashland, KY which is very near SE Ohio and on the way to WV/VA is a great stop with 2 courses.

Why Two Mile? Depending on whay day, I could probably catch a round with you if you're down. Sounds like a killer trip.

Make sure you film some rounds with DGCR members. And have a great, safe trip! :thmbup:

Thinking about going on a road trip sometime over the next month. About a week, maybe a bit longer. I have a few courses planned out, still trying to figure out what all I should play in VA / WV, and if I go to MI I have no clue where I'll throw outside of the two I've chosen.

Anyways here's a rough itinerary.

Day 1 - Drive to Meadows of Dan, VA in the morning to film a round at Primland. Drive north through VA and WV, stopping at one or two more 18 hole courses depending on time. Spend the night in WV.

Day 2 - Drive to Deer Lakes, then two mile run extension. Play Moraine's shortest tees if there's time, then camp at Moraine State Park.

Day 3 - Film Moraine Golds as soon as the sun is up. Head west to Ohio after the round, either driving all the way to Canton, meeting up with friends and throwing a round at Arboretum, or stopping by East Liverpool for a round. Either way, ending the night in Canton at my friends place.

Day 4 - Deis Hill Blues in the morning, north to Springwood Camp Club DGC to see if its 9 or 27 holes currently, swing by Wildwood in Louisville, then finish up filming Portage Lakes longs.

Day 5 - Arboretum (Hopefully all 24 holes are up) and Oak Ledges, then drive towards flip city, grabbing a motel whenever I get sleepy.

Day 6 - Film Flip City and Leviathan. Maybe see if anyone at MVP HQ wants to do some field work for fun.

Day 7 - Drive back home, possibly swinging by Idlewild on the way.

I'm trying to do a mix of 4.5/5+ rated destination courses, and my personal favorites from the OH/PA area. I've got a few ideas to fill on the VA/WV leg, but I'd like to hear from some others that are more familiar with the courses there.

Make sure you film some rounds with DGCR members. And have a great, safe trip! :thmbup:

If you do go to Idlewild let me know. Not sure anyone wants to see my fat, tree hitting self on vid, but I'm game.:thmbup:

Blockhouse is pretty much right on that route. You could even camp there.

Actually nowhere near his route. Going from Meadows of Dan to Pittsburgh will be the I81 section of VA. Greenfield, Mountain Lake, and Rocklands would be the top possibilities. Woodshed/Whipping Post or Walnut Creek not too far out of the way either.

I would try Greenfield based on being more convenient than Mt Lake.

Woodshed and Whipping Post is considered Paw Paw. The Blockhouse is the new name for the Grange.

Why Two Mile? Depending on whay day, I could probably catch a round with you if you're down. Sounds like a killer trip.

I've never played it, its close to courses I'm going to, and its an unusually long 9 hole. I've been curious about it for years.

still trying to figure out what all I should play in VA / WV

Assuming you are going up 29 and/or I81, Walnut Creek and Rockland would be strong candidates, and nicely break up your trip that day.

While the Paw Paw courses are fun/challenging, it takes more time/effort to get to/from them than you might realize ...

As far as WV goes I wanted to swing by Orange Crush, then go up 250 to The Black Course. Multiple courses in each location that sound worth checking out, not too bad of a detour from the part of PA I want to visit.

Assuming you are going up 29 and/or I81, Walnut Creek and Rockland would be strong candidates, and nicely break up your trip that day.

While the Paw Paw courses are fun/challenging, it takes more time/effort to get to/from them than you might realize ...

Good to know about Paw Paw, thanks. Still gonna be hard to pass it up. The guy I used to check out new courses with the first few months I played disc golf, we both added it to our wish list 3 months into playing DG. That's how long its been on my radar :)

I was just looking at Walnut Creek when I saw this post. Rockland has flown under my radar being a 3.75, checking out its page now. Thanks for the suggestions!

I've never played it, its close to courses I'm going to, and its an unusually long 9 hole. I've been curious about it for years.

I'm in Pittsburgh. It's nice, very different from the usual nine hole. Obviously you know the quality of courses here. I'm serious about playing a round with you. Depending on day of the week, numerous leagues could be going on.

Maybe we can do 2 mile together then. That or Deer Lakes. The latter can be confusing not knowing where the baskets currently are.

It's not really that close to any of those courses. Linbrook is another long, epic 9 holer. Some great throws there, and is right of 79N on your way to Moraine. 2 Mile Run, while also a great 9 holer is well off the route you're planning.

As far as WV goes I wanted to swing by Orange Crush, then go up 250 to The Black Course. Multiple courses in each location that sound worth checking out, not too bad of a detour from the part of PA I want to visit.

Good to know about Paw Paw, thanks. Still gonna be hard to pass it up. The guy I used to check out new courses with the first few months I played disc golf, we both added it to our wish list 3 months into playing DG. That's how long its been on my radar :)

I was just looking at Walnut Creek when I saw this post. Rockland has flown under my radar being a 3.75, checking out its page now. Thanks for the suggestions!
I really like all the courses mentioned in this thread. Paw Paw is my favorite of the bunch, but Orange Crush and Black Course would be an epic combo and is right on your way.

It's not really that close to any of those courses. Linbrook is another long, epic 9 holer. Some great throws there, and is right of 79N on your way to Moraine. 2 Mile Run, while also a great 9 holer is well off the route you're planning.
Yeah I like Linbrook better than 2MR as well as it being closer.

If you have time for a round in Toledo (I'm presuming you're taking a direct route from Canton to Flip) hit me up.

As a West Virginian, I think you have made a wise choice. Seth Burton and Orange Crush are fantastic! Both courses have two sets of tee pads and two sets of baskets so you could play a variety of layouts. It's close to the interstate but plan to spend most of the day there. Those courses have some distance and elevation.

Moundsville has a pair of courses as well with a third (The White Course) being installed. The Yellow is fairly easy: almost a pitch-and-putt style for beginners. The Black Course is pretty serious. Par has been as high as 72 out there and it's a great layout. Prepare for more elevation change and a ton of distance! I would highly recommend calling the park ahead of time to see what shape the course is in. Black can be rough around the edges if no one is maintaining it.

Bottom Line: If you have an option between Fairmont and Moundsville, definitely check out the Burton/Crush combo. More variations in shots, close to I-79, and two stellar layouts!

Latest posts