• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Valley June 27th release

Will the Valley, Notch and Arch only come in the new "micro chunk" color scheme or will they do some normal colored/style runs also?

Looking over the selection at DGCenter, most the Valleys they had were one solid color, or nearly so.

Valley is solid-color. I have a green, which is regrettable, but it does seem to stick out at night, because it's a lighter color.

The elastomer seems pretty nice for the newer runs. Has good grip and durability, like it should have... I've found the Valley to be a very consistent disc. It's not as fast as I thought initially, but it's still very consistent. I have a much better idea about where/when the Valley is going to turn over versus a Trak, which was sort of a guessing game, though both discs are very straight. The Valley is very solid for forehand and controlled driver shots.

Valley is solid-color. I have a green, which is regrettable, but it does seem to stick out at night, because it's a lighter color.

The elastomer seems pretty nice for the newer runs. Has good grip and durability, like it should have... I've found the Valley to be a very consistent disc. It's not as fast as I thought initially, but it's still very consistent. I have a much better idea about where/when the Valley is going to turn over versus a Trak, which was sort of a guessing game, though both discs are very straight. The Valley is very solid for forehand and controlled driver shots.

How would you rate it on the Innova scale now?

I have two of them. A 155M and a 174M.

Im quickly loving the 155M. It can flip up at full power for me and just glide straight and stable before a 10-15 foot fade. If I put it on a slight hyzer release it will hold that all the way through the flight too. The 175 is a different animal. That is super in the wind and doesn't flip up on me at all unless I put it on a good anhyzer release but it will work out of it to still finish left. I like it.

I'd rate them at 8 5 -.5 and 2

How would you rate it on the Innova scale now?

I'd say 7 5 -0.5 1. I'm starting to get more turn out of it with usage. I have a 171 medium. It seems a little faster than the Trak, but I don't know if it's a speed 8, like the Ascent. It definitely has a lot more beef than the Trak. Not a-scared of a headwind with the Valley.

Got the Valley in and took it with me over the weekend. Have to say I'm underwhelmed after a handful of throws. Nothing close to the ratings reported on either of the sites I looked at, and no flight even close to that shown on the bottom of the flight plate. Were I to rate it now, I'd say it's 7/4/0/2, which is nothing I need or want.

I'll toss it another few rounds, likely only as a second throw so I can compare it directly with other discs I carry. Perhaps I'll figure out how to work it into something useful.

Got the Valley in and took it with me over the weekend. Have to say I'm underwhelmed after a handful of throws. Nothing close to the ratings reported on either of the sites I looked at, and no flight even close to that shown on the bottom of the flight plate. Were I to rate it now, I'd say it's 7/4/0/2, which is nothing I need or want.

I'll toss it another few rounds, likely only as a second throw so I can compare it directly with other discs I carry. Perhaps I'll figure out how to work it into something useful.

That was the concern that a lot of folks had too. Wouldn't be something that they need or want... have to say that it's more consistent than the Trak though. I've liked it so far, but I still have a soft Trak for fairway shots and approaches. I also use the unLace from the fairway when I need to make a really great shot to make up for a bad tee shot.

If it's meant as a replacement for the Trak, it would work for that, I'd say. I use the Trak as a long mid-range, and the Valley could certainly replace my Trak. The thing is, I'm not certain I'm going to keep carrying the Trak for the little use that it got--I can power down a TL for those same shots.

My son also has a new Valley. I'll toss his for comparison. Perhaps it's just inconsistency in the molding.

Have you ever been amazed by a disc after a handful of throws? I know I haven't.

The more I've worked with the Valley the more I see how it can become a pretty good staple in my bag. I can trust it more than my River especially in the wind. I really like throwing the 155M. I'm one of the few that will go throw in the field though so I've got probably well over a 100 throws on both my 155 and 174.

Have you ever been amazed by a disc after a handful of throws? I know I haven't.

The more I've worked with the Valley the more I see how it can become a pretty good staple in my bag. I can trust it more than my River especially in the wind. I really like throwing the 155M. I'm one of the few that will go throw in the field though so I've got probably well over a 100 throws on both my 155 and 174.

I trust the Valley a lot more than my Trak. It can probably replace the Ascent in my bag, as well.

It's supposed to be modeled after the Lace, so it's weight distribution in more in the rim of the disc. In order to do this, they improved the wing shape on the Valley.

The results are still coming in, but it's supposed to hold an anhyzer line or right-turning line through its flight (the way a Lace does). I haven't experienced this yet, but it definitely handles a headwind well, which is what I like.

Yes, I have. I also know that if I've thrown a disc a certain number of times and it doesn't perform in a fashion I find useful--and more useful than any other disc that flies in a similar fashion, then it isn't going to suddenly exhibit new characteristics and become a star disc in my bag. I've been doing this for a few years and have thrown enough different discs enough times that I know how long it takes for a disc to prove useful or not. (Two throws with my Ibex was all it took to get a spot in my bag, btw.)

And with the way my Valley has flown so far, the only way it would stay in the bag is to replace the Trak, a Teebird, or a TL. It doesn't fly as well as the Teebird or TL, so the Trak is the only disc vulnerable--and that disc isn't a given to stay in the bag, anyway.

So, with enough more throws to provide direct comparison to what I already carry--and to see if hitting more trees will change things up or if I figure out a line that it really likes and carries on much better--I'll decide whether to keep it in the bag or not.