• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenDodge

Vibram Company Rep
Hi All,

I figure it is time to start an official Vibram Disc Golf thread. Feel free to post any Vibram DG questions and comments on this thread and I will do my best to reply in a timely manner. My first bit of news is that I have started a Vibram DG blog. We've got a couple cool pics over there.

Enjoy. http://vibramdiscgolf.posterous.com/

Steve.

True but then the Vibram logo is vertical.

But hell, itd be upside down for france...doh.

Its a really tight shot of Curt Schilling's bloody sock from Game 2 in the 2008 World Series. His shoes are the dark blue.

Steve, just wanted to say that I've tried just about every putter out there and the Ridge is the best thing I've ever thrown and has probably taken at least 2 strokes off my average since I picked it up.
So when am I going to see a Vibram mid range disc?
And as a wacky suggestion that probably won't go anywhere...with the Captain America movie coming out next summer, how sweet of a cross-marketing promotion would it be selling Cap discs? Seriously, call Marvel Entertainment, they'll be giving away a Ridge or VP with with every happy meal sold and disc golf can then take over the world:)
Too ambitious??

They could change Cap's 'mild-mannered' name to Steve Dodgers.

Seriously, though, Marvel ain't gonna stand for no yella Vibram lug in the middle of their beloved CA shield.

They could change Cap's 'mild-mannered' name to Steve Dodgers.

Seriously, though, Marvel ain't gonna stand for no yella Vibram lug in the middle of their beloved CA shield.

Good point, good point...the logo would have to go from the middle of the disc...small price to pay:)
Quick...before Innova or Discraft get the idea and turn what could be a cool disc into the latest speed 27, overstable driver that no one is going to be able to throw:)

First, I wanna say my VP is like Linus's blanket.

4559524862_b53b433041.jpg

=
3281229635_052fd967b7.jpg

If you try to take it away from me I will hurt you.

Second, I think making a disc to compete with a Roc or a Buzz is a poor marketing decision.
These discs are the most popular models from thier respective manufacturers, and best selling as well, trying to take market share from proven winners is going to be an uphill battle, at best.

I would think filling in the gaps in the others weak points would be smarter way to sell discs.
Start with making the fastest disc on the planet. I dont think Innova or Discraft has used the maximum allowable wing configuration yet, maybe see what your engineering team can come up with in that area.

The fastest clean throwing driver, and the best putters in the biz could easily cement Vibrams position in the industry.

How about some DG specific Five Fingers shoes with a toe scuff plate ?

Because making putters to compete with Aviars, Wizards, Challengers, Magnets, XDs, Magics, Voodoos, Spikes, Pures, Sinus, Rhynos etc etc. is an easy road?

I must rspectfully strongly disagree. It is way better to put out quality product than the 'newest & greatest'. Vibram is just getting into the disc golf game, so they are wisely starting with the more easily-manufactured items (putters) and (hopefully) gradually working their way up from there. Jumping headlong into a warp-speed driver that then turns out to have issues relating to its manufacturing would put them back to square one, or possibly even square minus ten.

Ease our pain, Steve. Stay the course. Go the distance. If you build it, he will not necessarily come. *insert cheesy Field of Dreams quote here*

What in the world is next for Vibram in terms of discs?

Also, how many and who does Vibram sponsor?

Those are the two questions I want to know.

Steve - When are you going to make soft discs like the prototypes that VeganRay has? How about something that's at least a LITTLE bit soft, if not super baby nipple rubber puke soft.

\/\/

How about some DG specific Five Fingers shoes with a toe scuff plate ?

Better scuff protection on the upper side of the toes would be nice. I keep wrestling with whether to wear my Five Fingers to the dg course because there isn't enough toe protection in the upper to handle the toe drag when I'm driving. Actually the first time I wore them to the course I nicked the upper over the big toe when I dragged my toe on concrete. Maybe the version with the kangaroo leather upper would work better?

But back to disc golf as a topic, so far I've had fairly good experience with my Summit putter. My only complaint about it so far is that it has given me some fairly bad rollaways on missed putts. I really would like to see Vibram produce a rubber driver. I suspect the rubber's durability would make even more of a difference with the sharper edges of a driver.

Steve - When are you going to make soft discs like the prototypes that VeganRay has? How about something that's at least a LITTLE bit soft, if not super baby nipple rubber puke soft.

\/\/

I think I've thrown one of those at the Phenix store, I couldnt believe how soft it was. I cranked it into the wall and it just kind of made this flat sound and fell straight down about 2 feet away from the wall. I'm not sure I would use it full time, but if you're worried about the trees taking you away...

Have you tried not dragging your toe when you drive?

I suffer from the same problem on my FH drives, I've ripped the toes out of 4 pairs of Nikes in the last couple of years. Unfortunately, it can't be helped:)

Yeah, all my shoes have holes in them too.

The soft is close to the floppiest of r-pros (the prototype stuff). They are great for hilly approaches, precarious basket positions, big fat anhyzer or hyzer shots or anything else where your disc may stand up and roll.

:)

I think Steven said they would be out soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.