• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Sole Thoughts

spinnin' discs

Bogey Member
In need of trying a new putter, I went out to my local disc golf shop this weekend and purchased a 173g X-Link Soft Sole. Previously, my primary putter was a 170g DX Aviar, and my putting style is more push-putt oriented, with a slight amount of spin depending upon distance. This being my first time trying the soft rubber from Vibram, there is definitely a mental factor to overcome with the floppiness of the disc. This putter has LOTS of glide. It's like it has a parachute on it. Typically with my Aviar, I have to put a little power on it to get it to the basket. This is not the case with the Sole. On my first attempt, throwing it like my Aviar, it glided off way to the left and missed the basket by about 5 feet, putting only 15 feet away. After some adjustment, however, this disc can been thrown both far and accurately with minimal power. A light push is enough to get the Sole to glide 30 feet into the basket. Driving wise, the Sole flies like a typical traditional putter. The rim is similar to the Ibex, and the flight path is similar as well from my experience. There is something to be said about the soft rubber's ability to "hit and stick", and throwing it full force and hitting the post or outside of the basket results in an anti-climatic soft 'plink' noise and the disc dropping straight down without any bounce or roll. Overall, I think the Sole is a great disc, and will be kicking out my Voodoo from the bag. The ability to get the Sole to the basket accurately with little power from any distance and minimal bounce outs is definitely a plus. Any other thoughts on this disc?

I wish it had the same diameter of its other siblings. However, I imagine that the slightly larger diameter gives it some of the glide that it has.

I love the sole. I carry the maple hill medium/firms. I have firms and mediums at home in my practice basket. They're glidey with a little bite. Hit and stick goodness. I like the hand feel of the firm but the way the medium grips/folds. They sound gimicky, but they're rad. Broken in they'll float US. They'll always land flat. M & F are my fave. My form ain't good enough to approach with sifts but softs sue grab chains.
and they look cool as can be.

love the firm sole i carry three. 2 172 as my main putters and a 167 as long jump putter. i throw the other vibram putters and just use the sole for putting.

The sole is a lot like the Aviar mold. great glide little bit of turn then fade at the end. it is my go to putter. amazing distance putter.