Water discs question

cdelapp208

I am going to go on vacation later this summer on a lake and I want to be able to practice disc golf while there. Would it work for me to throw someone like a wahoo or dragon over and into the lake, and then go retrieve it on my kayak? It seems like a good idea to still be able to practice while there. I don't know if it is though. Also which is better for this, the Wahoo or the Dragon? Or is there a better option?

I forget what the cutoff is I'm sure someone here knows off the top of their head but all base plastic discs float below a specific weight.

Throwing into a lake actually sounds like it would be a lot of fun. I heard someone who did something similar used sort of a floating buoy as the target and would swim to where their disc landed and play it from there until finishing the 'hole'. I think Hydras were their choice.

Regarding the actual discs, Wahoo will fly about like a beat destroyer. Best for people in the 325-375 foot range. Come sin 175 importantly too. Dragon is good for 200-275 feet and is a fun hyzer flip above that. It is only 150 and does not like headwinds at all.

Another option is the Discmania Mermaid. It works nicely in the 275-325 foot range, and starts off straight to fade. It will develop some turn when beaten in but it keeps the fade regardless, and is fine in a headwind (especially when new). It is around 160-165 grams. The Innova Hydra is a good small diameter midrange that is shaped like a putter and is a solid option. It's straight to fade and doesn't really beat in due to how blunt it is. 170-175 grams as well.

I found a Wahoo coming to shore at high tide. Threw it a few times, eh. On my second round threw it back into the water so that somebody else could find it, and give it a go.

I own a Dragon and a Mermaid.

I can confirm that the Dragon floats, but it has always been a finicky disc for me. Especially in the wind, it is very difficult to control. Maybe 25% of the time, it does exactly what I want. The other 75%, not. (full disclosure - I'm also not that great of a disc golfer, so your own mileage may vary :LOL:). Mine is getting pretty beat up now too, so I'm sure that doesn't help either.

The Mermaid was a more recent purchase. Like kumerow said, it seems to work better in the wind and behaves a bit more reliably overall. I'm not 100% sure that I have actually thrown it into the water yet though, so although it's obviously supposed to float I can't back that up yet with personal experience.

Throwing a disc out into the water intentionally, then going out with your kayak to get it EVERY time, sounds like a ton of effort for what it's worth. Isn't there a field around somewhere you could use instead? Even a beach with water on one side would give more reps for less effort. But to each their own!

I own a Dragon and a Mermaid.

I can confirm that the Dragon floats, but it has always been a finicky disc for me. Especially in the wind, it is very difficult to control.

The Mermaid was a more recent purchase. Like kumerow said, it seems to work better in the wind and behaves a bit more reliably overall. I'm not 100% sure that I have actually thrown it into the water yet though, so although it's obviously supposed to float I can't back that up yet with personal experience.

Throwing a disc out into the water intentionally, then going out with your kayak to get it EVERY time, sounds like a ton of effort for what it's worth. Isn't there a field around somewhere you could use instead? Even a beach with water on one side would give more reps for less effort. But to each their own!
It just seemed kind of fun. Especially if I have nothing to do. I'm sure I could find a field but it seems more fun to do it over water. 😂

It just seemed kind of fun. Especially if I have nothing to do. I'm sure I could find a field but it seems more fun to do it over water. 😂
Hey, I respect that! :ROFLMAO:

If it's water that you can clear with a good drive, honestly that might be a really good way to practice both physically and mentally.

Unfortunately it's more than 1,500 ft to the nearest piece of land which is a little sand bar. I can't throw that far 😂. I'll probably buy a mermaid from what you all said. Once I do it I'll respond back on here how it went. 😁

If it's water that you can clear with a good drive, honestly that might be a really good way to practice both physically and mentally.
I do wish I could do it that way though. On a small pond maybe. There are a lot near my house so I'll look for some.

buy more than one. then you get the fun of keeping track of them while paddling. actually sounds pretty fun

Do you think that you'd be able to throw from the kayak? I feel like forehand would work better from the kayak

Sounds like you'll be getting a lot more kayaking practice than disc golf practice. Plus, practice with discs you wouldn't otherwise throw, is of limited use. But, hey, if you're having fun...

My experience is that I once had a Dragon, and it was one of the worst discs I ever threw. I've had a Wahoo that was finicky, but floated at max weight, and flew great from time to time. I know someone who throws one really well.

Blizzard discs are supposed to float at 138g or below, but it's an adjustment to throw discs that light. I accidentally discovered that my 157g blizzard wraith floats, and it's now my go-to water disc.

Footnote: Before someone chimes in, I'm in the unique situation of often playing a high-risk water hole, with the opportunity to eventually retrieve any floating discs after they return to shore. I'm of the general opinion that floating discs are of limited value, but in my case, I have a good use for them.

I don't get all the dragon hate, decent disc until it warps, after that it's a great fast turning thumber disc.

Glow in the dark squidgie are also fun. Super flexible and fun for playing catch with

Latest posts