• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Weekend experience & DG Image

Certain places are alot more chill than that though and you know where that place is and I KNOW I will see ya tomorrow night there!!!!!

First off, there's no such thing as a free ball golf course. Not to keep goobers away, but because expenses for a course are so great. But even a cheap public course costs enough[and usually has enough rules] that you don't get drunken shirtless Cletuses on the course. Anyone suggesting that ball golf has the same idiots on their courses as DG doesn't know wtf they're talking about.

Secondly [as I've already stated], its not a DG problem per se, its a societal problem. Its been made OK by sliding standards to be a complete a-hole to others and in public as a whole, and expect to garner laffs and yucks from your friends and the vidiot nation for doing something they think is so cool[example: throwing jugs of milk on the grocery floor].

Thirdish, its obvious that there's a full card's worth of the exact type of idiots the OP mentioned that have posted here in a negative way about the OP personally, most likely 'cause they feel he's dissing their peeps. Way to back up his post with d-baggery.

Sweet, can't wait for you to provide the land, baskets, concrete, and all the necessary amenitites. You'll have to have a staff on hand to prevent walk-on players, so it will need to be profitable, probably going to need a grounds crew, as well.

Thanks for almost getting my sarcasm dude.

I just keep coming back to the conflicting desires of some DGers that want it to be a respected "sport" and try to convince local parks that DG is such a great family activity versus those that don't see a problem with drinking and "smoking" in public.

I started this just to share a particular experience but I will say that more often than not whenever I participate in a DG "event" I've observed quit a bit of the original hippie culture coming out.

I don't want to seem like a "sheltered" elitist and don't mean to make generalizations but I don't know how else to say it - you can't act like "hippies" or "trailer park trash" and expect the mainstream public to take you seriously. DG just needs to decide what it wants to be when it grows up.
I guess that's why the X Games, Mixed Martial Arts, the NFL and professional wrestling aren't popular. :|

This makes it seem like its a few potheads that make the image bad. So why is DD having a tournament called the Glass Blown Open?
I know a lot of folks who hear this term but have never been to the GBO think that its a drug reference, but the name references the hand made glass blown trophies that have always been a fixture for that tournament. I might point out that it was the event's name long before DD got involved with it.

FWIW, I have talked to some involved with the ball golf community and while they say uncouth behavior on public golf courses is rare, its not all that uncommon to see such (including use of the very same green stuff that disc golfers are stereotyped for) at private golf outings. I in fact used to know a couple of women who were occasionally hired by such people to provide, umm.... "entertainment" at such functions.

I know a lot of folks who hear this term but have never been to the GBO think that its a drug reference, but the name references the hand made glass blown trophies that have always been a fixture for that tournament. I might point out that it was the event's name long before DD got involved with it.

LOL. It's like naming a course Stoney Hill. What are they implying? Then the newest hole is "420" feet. Is there a pattern?

("Stoney Hill" is the community name, by the way)

Times are changin...
Many feel that words are just words and that mj laws are unjust.
There is no longer a common standard.
Tatted, pierced, pot smokers are raising kids.

This isnt a parents vs non parents issue anymore....its a your standards vs others.
Truth of the matter is that the older generation doesnt deserve the respect given to gens past.
When "adults" have no respect for marrige (speaking in terms of divorce), cant live within their means, and have pill problems...how is the youth supposed to look up to and respect the older generation...

Not sure exactly what you mean by "the older generation"...but the plus 50 crowd aren't all pill popping folks squatting in a foreclosed house. Agree completely divorce has been too prevalent and too easy of a choice for a lot of people since the late 60's...that crap covers a couple generations.

Since being around disc, I have failed to comprehend what is "fun" about trashing signs, breaking limbs, and tossing beer bottles and/or Monster cans all over courses. And being so non-athletic/addicted/whatever having to stop every few holes to rest/burn one. This is the "crowd" that needs to grow up and stop giving the game a black eye, so to speak.

Last edited:
Lots of preaching to the choir in this thread. Odds are good that the savage hordes of bros causing chaos and mayhem on most courses will never bother to check out this place.

I agree tim and will not defend valdalism but lumping together drunkards and pot smokers together and with vandals doesnt help. It makes folks seem like betterthans.

I am almost 30. Most of my friends are good parents but when they get the somewhat rare opportunity to get out of the house they want to dg and smoke a lil. That doesnt make them bad people or parents imo.

Just like most issues lately, it seems that the divide is groing which leads to hightened emotions. Personally, ive been builing angst against the you g parenting generation due to their distaste and better than looks towards cigg smokers; when ever im outside of a public place smoking and folks walk up with their kids it seems they feel one shouldnt smoke around them.
While i am and have been a courtious smoker, i can see my agnst building and soon may not be out of distain :/

Lots of preaching to the choir in this thread. Odds are good that the savage hordes of bros causing chaos and mayhem on most courses will never bother to check out this place.

Funny thing is that for years i had been a competitive disc golfer and pdga member that rarely drank and took the sport more "serious"...over the last year or so, the better than attitudes on this board have driven me back to the other side.

I truley feel i can influence new players much more positively as part of them than by being a judgemental betterthan.

I understand why it's called that. I have asked many what they thought about when they heard the term used. They all said pot reference! Again this is an image thing, and I agree with what most have said on here. My crew is always bringing a trash bag and helping clean the course where we play. I don't tell people not to drink or smoke on the course and YES I DO GET ASKED IF IM A COP OFTEN just because I decline. Who da thunk it? I'm finally in a minority! Woohoo

I'm sure someone will dig back through my posts and point out the contrary - but I didn't mean to come across as a "betterthan". I honestly don't object to drinking or smoking as long as it's done discretely. It is afterall (at least for now) illegal in most public parks. Just ask some folks that I play with locally.

I wanted to point out the observation from a 17 year old. That she was concerned about the people she saw. No one threatened her, or was rude to her. She didn't interact with them at all as far as I know. It was her reaction to the "image" (what she saw) of the people coming to play DG. If the DG community doesn't care about that image - so be it. I'll continue to play with those that have similar outlook on life that I have and leave the others alone. Just don't complain when others jump to the same conclusion she did. What's the old saying - "you never get a second chance to make a first impression."

Not to throw stones but Craftsman, lumping all the older generation together is just as inappropriate as lumping all the youger generation together. I don't have drug or alcohol addictions, I have no debt problems, I've only been married once (over 25 yrs). In fact in my entire extended family I don't know of anyone that fits your description. Come to think of it, maybe I have lived a sheltered life, I wish everyone did.

Latest posts