• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Weird Quirks

When I'm setting up for a putt, I go through all the "pre-motions" like a push putt, but my actual putt is mirrored after Des Readings style...in other words, a spin putt. Ive had lots of players call me on it, especially when I blow an easy one, but if I don't do it, it feels weird.

Also, I don't hold the disc with my non throwing hand during my run up. Been called on that one too.

I lightly lick my index, middle, and ring fingers and then immediately dry them off on my pants leg before each throw/putt.

I need them to be a little bit moist, but not wet.

I do almost this exact thing. Super gross, but i dont even realize im doing it until its done

When I'm settling into my putting stance, I kind of do these circle motions with my elbows to loosen up a little. Best way to describe it might be like a chicken flapping its wings, which really makes it sound weirder than it looks.

Congratulations, you just made me flap my arms like the wings of a chicken while I was pooping.

I'm with the people who need to have the stamp of the disc oriented a certain way. My thumb should be at 12:00 and the rest of the hand works its way in clockwise.

Also, I don't hold the disc with my non throwing hand during my run up. Been called on that one too.
^That's actually good, that offhand will never limit your reach back. I wish I had this habit... I keep my offhand on the disc for far too long. And when I try to keep it at my side, my entire timing is off.

As for quirks...

-I too must have the stamp right side up for me to read.
-On my Vibrams I always place my thumb directly to the right of the name on top of the disc for hyzer or straight shots and to the left for anhyzer or flex shots.
-Before each drive I point my right arm and disc out at the basket and hold it for a second, sort of like Babe Ruth calling his shot.
-I arrange my discs from slowest to fastest (putter-mid-fairway-distance) and by stability in each type (under to over stable).
-Unfortunately, I'm super OCD about using one brand of discs at a time (first Innova, then Lat 64, then Gateway, and now Vibram). However, I have four MVP discs and some Comets on the way and once the weather warms up a bit (I do LOVE Vibram rubber for the cold) I am going to force myself to carry a mixed bag (gonna do a bunch of fieldwork and some rounds to pick what discs work the best for me)... A bag that fits my game, not my OCD.
-I always use the same putting routine. Step up to my marker, point the disc where I'm aiming, one practice pump, and then breathe in deeply and putt as I breathe out.

On my vibram discs I have to put my thumb on the rim nameplate or else I can't throw. I guess mentally I think it gives a bit more grip.

i eat sh*tty gas station burritos before every round.

I talk to my disc while its in flight

I do too but only one disc in my entire bag.

I also spent most a tourney last year talking to imaginary friends. Well, the rest of the card thought they were imaginary...

This thread's alot more fun then the last one i was on.

If it's a putt 30'-35' I whisper to myself.."You can make this, don't be a b*tch..." Seriously..... Lol Something not as odd, I spin whatever disc I'm throwing on my right hand... even though I'm left handed. People call me out on that a lot.

I recently started a new putting routine where I pretty much don't look at the basket until I am starting my putting motion. I get my body in-line with my target, look down and get my grip right, visualize my putt, and then as soon as I look up I zero in on my target and putt. It helps me not over analyze the putt/distance and just putt.

I hold the discs in my hand so that I can read the words on them, or so that the stamp isn't upside down.

It's not so that I don't use the wrong disc, it's because it messes with my head if the stamp is upside-down. Like a mild OCD.

EDIT: To clarify-

RIGHT
qscloSe.jpg

WRONG
oH3d7fR.jpg

i do the exact same thing

I hold the discs in my hand so that I can read the words on them, or so that the stamp isn't upside down.

It's not so that I don't use the wrong disc, it's because it messes with my head if the stamp is upside-down. Like a mild OCD.

I do this as well or I feel like I have no chance of making the putt. I also pump four times before I putt but I count it off "one, two, one, two" and putt on three the second time, don't ask me why.

If it's a putt 30'-35' I whisper to myself.."You can make this, don't be a b*tch..." Seriously..... Lol Something not as odd, I spin whatever disc I'm throwing on my right hand... even though I'm left handed. People call me out on that a lot.

I'm right-handed but I spin discs on my left hand.

I recently started a new putting routine where I pretty much don't look at the basket until I am starting my putting motion. I get my body in-line with my target, look down and get my grip right, visualize my putt, and then as soon as I look up I zero in on my target and putt. It helps me not over analyze the putt/distance and just putt.

My buddy does this too! He's not a very good putter though, I question his method regularly.

As for myself, before each putt I adjust my pants at the waist, up or down a little, even if they dont need it.

I also drink a beer before each tourney round.

I have a lot of the same quirks/OCD stuff others listed in here, so I'm glad I'm not alone. All stamps have to face me when in my hand, but all of my Vibram discs have to have the logo at 12:00 and the name at 6:00. It's like the logo is my pointer when I line up my shot.

I pump my throwing arm up and down vertically before a drive, even though I'm throwing a backhand 90% of the time. It's almost like I need to move my sleeve back further up my arm/shoulder.

I count the discs in the main part of my bag after I hole out each time, mainly for fear of leaving a disc behind. Always right to left, and in fours. 1-2-3-4....5-6-7-8....9-10-11-12....and then my last Wizard 13.

I pat/check for my mini in my back pocket while walking to the next hole even though I just put it in my back pocket.

I call out the score after each hole for me and everyone else in my group, whether they want me to or not. I won't do this in tournaments, but I want to.

I always stand on the back left corner of the teebox before a forehand drive(RHFH) or stand on the back right corner of the teebox on a backhand drive(RHBH). To collect myself for a second and feel the wind. If there is any at all.

If you ever watch a good free throw shooter, their routine is the same, every single time. Once you get into a putting routine that works for you, you should never deviate from it.

I agree, normally I just do my 3 pump thing and sink putts. Yesterday I was in my own head about it and it screwed up my game. I'm normally a confident putter because I have my routine that works.

I have a friend that snaps before each drive

I do the same. I won't throw until I can get a good "snap" from my fingers. That way I know my fingers aren't too moist from sweat/rain/condensation from the beverage or too slippery from dust/dirt to negatively affect the throw.

I too have to have the disc text/graphic facing towards me on putts. I use a G9i Wizard for lot of up shot and on that one the Wizards hat had to be pointing to the right. Gives it more spin.

My putt routine is out there too. I straddle push putt with a slight staggered stance 95% of the time. I step up to my marker, plant both feet on my line more than shoulder length apart. I step my left foot back about 10-15 inches. I spin the disk in my right hand until the my disc is right side up. Fan grip and squat low.

Then I drop the disc all the way flat to the ground with my hand under it, lift it six inches to a foot off the ground. This lets me know to keep my disc parallel to the ground (or slightly nose up). I swing my arm pendulum style 3 times and on the third one...bam. Also, when I release the disc I take a few inches step with my left foot I put back. On long stuff it'll come all the way off the ground.

If it's a long putt I'll pick at the outside of my disk with my left hand tilting it up. The extra power I need for long putts can cause nose down issues so I keep doing that to make sure I release it nose up.

I also arrange my disc in my bag. It's got 3 sections. 4 discs go in the backup/breaking in/trying out left side. 2 extra putter go on the right side. The divider in the middle holds my 5 drivers and 2 mids. My Wizard I use for upshots goes between the drivers and the mids to separate them. More than anything else it's to help ease my selection (middle is disc I'm using) and count my disc after holes to make sure I have not lost anything.

LetName the player by the quirk!

Most of the time I rub my fingers in the dirt in front of the tee box. Then I wipe my dirty hands off on my right pants leg. When I putt, I hold two putters but only putt with one of course. I like clacking them together a bunch of times before putting.
Who am I?

Latest posts