• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Western Michigan in July- any tips?

WastedSpace

Bogey Member
After missing last year's annual disc trip with the fellas (would have been our 18th consecutive year), we're back at it and heading to Michigan. Flip was the impetus, but we'll be playing up from Grand Rapids, and then taking in the Mason county courses.

On our list: Shore Acres, Breakers, Flip, Beauty/Beast/Goliath, Whiskey Hills, Labyrinth, Leviathan, Wild Haven (which is as far north as we're planning to go.)

There's a couple of big questions:

- What's the story with Leviathan? Any idea if it will be open by mid-July?

- Whiskey Hills looks underrated, but fun. Thoughts?

- GLOW is an important tradition, and we always find something great. Interested in Wild Haven, but can't seem to find any info outside of dgcr. Website under construction, no contact info. Supposedly two courses, but seems as though Little Bigfoot has been in the works for a while. Is it worth it to head out that way for good rounds and glow? Any other listed courses that would be good to glow?

- If you had to choose, Breakers or Shore Acres?

We're planning on some type of VRBO around Ludington, and probably just crashing in a bivy at Wild Haven.

Courses we're missing? Anything else we should know? Any tournaments to avoid? Ticks? Poison ivy, etc.?

Thanks for the local knowledge!

After missing last year's annual disc trip with the fellas (would have been our 18th consecutive year), we're back at it and heading to Michigan. Flip was the impetus, but we'll be playing up from Grand Rapids, and then taking in the Mason county courses.

On our list: Shore Acres, Breakers, Flip, Beauty/Beast/Goliath, Whiskey Hills, Labyrinth, Leviathan, Wild Haven (which is as far north as we're planning to go.)

- GLOW is an important tradition, and we always find something great. Interested in Wild Haven, but can't seem to find any info outside of dgcr. Website under construction, no contact info. Supposedly two courses, but seems as though Little Bigfoot has been in the works for a while. Is it worth it to head out that way for good rounds and glow? Any other listed courses that would be good to glow?

We're planning on some type of VRBO around Ludington, and probably just crashing in a bivy at Wild Haven.

Courses we're missing? Anything else we should know? Any tournaments to avoid? Ticks? Poison ivy, etc.?

Hey WS. West Michigan is a true disc golf destination....you guys are gonna have a blast.

Wild Haven- Terrific couple courses. Mike "Wildman" is likely available through Disc Golf Scene. If you don't have much luck, hit up Central Scrutinizer on here via PM. I am sure he can get a hold of Mike for you. They have had solar lites on their baskets in the past and if camping on site, I am sure glow is in play. I will let someone local (I am from SE Michigan) weigh in on other glow opportunities.

Leviathan- Not sure what is up.

Shore Acres over Breaker....IMO

Whiskey is a terrific course and a lot of fun. I would not miss it.

Poison ivy is pretty prevalent, obviously to be avoided. We do have ticks in Michigan, but not a huge issue....and I am not sure how bad they are on the west coast. Tournament schedule is comprehensive and available on Disc Golf Scene. This site is used extensively in Michigan is is a very good resource for league, tournaments and a second set of directions.

Listed is a very good beer and disc store in Ludington.

https://www.facebook.com/pmexpeditions/

I will let some locals weigh in with any additional info.

Have a great time guys, the golf will be fantastic.

Don't forget to get down to the Lake for a sunset and a swim.....it is a a Great Lake!!

Last I read on the Scene was Leviathan was losing 9? holes due to a school expanding I believe. Dont recall a time table on when it will open again nor what holes will remain from the original.

So, not disc golf, but if you're into hiking/wilderness camping, you could do worse than to hit Sleeping Bear Dunes. Probably too out of the way, but serious epicness (N. Manitou Island is one of my fave places in the world).

I would add Whitehall into that mix as well

Agree with Shore Acres over Breakers BUT, Breakers is a good time if you have the time.

IMO, i would skip Grand Rapids courses as there isn't much goodness there but starting at Paw Paw in Holland, then shore acres, breakers, Whitehall, north would be a good route.

I'll second Whitehall. Really fun course. I played it 3 years ago on my trip to Flip. Well worth it and very close to Henderson Lake Nature Center which is very nice too.

I've never played Breakers but really liked Shore Acres on that trip (only had time for one)

I'll be taking a similar trip in early June but Flip will probably be as far south as I go. I too am curious on the status of Leviathan. I have a thread about my trip in the road trips section that I'll report back on once I start my trip. There's a lot of great info on that thread, although most might be a little too north for you. Worth a read just in case.

Presumably you're flying into GRR and adventuring out from there? You won't really pass many great courses between the airport and the lakeshore, Hammond Hills and Fallasburg are both excellent courses worth visiting but they're back tracking 20-30 minutes off the route directly to the lakeshore.

I'd rather play Whitehall over Breakers or Shore Acres personally, but to answer the original question if I had to choose I'd probably go Shore Acres, it's a bit more challenging and plays through the woods more. Breakers is a bit easier more relaxing round.

From a tournament standpoint, you should mostly be safe from big stuff by staying west, Mid July is the "a-tier swing" with River City Open in Grand Rapids July 9-11, CCR Open in Holt July 16-18 and DGLO July 23-25.

Stuff closer to your route to be aware of:
July 17 Sleeping Bear open at Myles Kimberly
July 25-26 Fundraiser Tournement at Wild Haven

Thanks all! Good info.

Wolfhaley, I read your thread a bit back- I got my first ace at Diamond X (sure do miss that pink CE Valk) on a road trip to a wedding in 2002. Basically the reverse of your trip, but lots more Montana. Also hit Vallarta-Ast that trip, and like Diamond X, it changed the way I looked at courses.

Yep, flying into GRR Saturday morning 7/17 and probably heading straight up to Wild Haven for a couple rounds (if two courses) and then glow. Crash onsite. What about Northend on the way up?

Also, anyone know if there's bathrooms at Wild Haven? Any kind of shelter if it pours? Since we'll be staying around Ludington for a couple nights, we'll be packing as light as possible when it comes to camping.

7/18: Head back to Ludington area. We'll probably be a bit whipped from travel/Day 1/late night glow. What should we play? Should we be fresh for Beauty/Beast? Or more so for Whiskey due to the terrain?

7/19 & 20: Play around Ludington (Mason, Whiskey, Flip, etc.) We're talking about playing Flip twice, so probably making a day of it.

7/21: Heading back to Grand Rapids for late afternoon flight. Was thinking this would be the Shore Acres or Breakers Day (or Whitehall?)

We're not fast. Definitely two rounds in a day, but the third would depend on the courses, and certainly not after glow. Especially since most of the courses seem to be 24 holes. Kind of seems like we wouldn't even have time for Leviathan even if it was open.

Based on this, what do you think makes the most sense for 7/18-20? Always quality over quantity.

Last I read on the Scene was Leviathan was losing 9? holes due to a school expanding I believe. Dont recall a time table on when it will open again nor what holes will remain from the original.

That would suck.

I recommend bringing a hoodie or light jacket. It can be surprisingly cold around Ludington even in July lol.

^This bot is full of it. Pools are money pits.

Sounds like a great trip, WS. In the area of Flip, the Country Dairy Farm Store was a pleasant surprise. Good food and ice cream in an area that doesn't have a ton of options.

It's been a few years since I've been up that way, but I've always really enjoyed my time on and around Michigan's west coast.

Out of curiosity, what did Vallarta-Ast change about the way you look at courses?

Thanks all! Good info.

Wolfhaley, I read your thread a bit back- I got my first ace at Diamond X (sure do miss that pink CE Valk) on a road trip to a wedding in 2002. Basically the reverse of your trip, but lots more Montana. Also hit Vallarta-Ast that trip, and like Diamond X, it changed the way I looked at courses.

Yep, flying into GRR Saturday morning 7/17 and probably heading straight up to Wild Haven for a couple rounds (if two courses) and then glow. Crash onsite. What about Northend on the way up?

Also, anyone know if there's bathrooms at Wild Haven? Any kind of shelter if it pours? Since we'll be staying around Ludington for a couple nights, we'll be packing as light as possible when it comes to camping.

7/18: Head back to Ludington area. We'll probably be a bit whipped from travel/Day 1/late night glow. What should we play? Should we be fresh for Beauty/Beast? Or more so for Whiskey due to the terrain?

7/19 & 20: Play around Ludington (Mason, Whiskey, Flip, etc.) We're talking about playing Flip twice, so probably making a day of it.

7/21: Heading back to Grand Rapids for late afternoon flight. Was thinking this would be the Shore Acres or Breakers Day (or Whitehall?)

We're not fast. Definitely two rounds in a day, but the third would depend on the courses, and certainly not after glow. Especially since most of the courses seem to be 24 holes. Kind of seems like we wouldn't even have time for Leviathan even if it was open.

Based on this, what do you think makes the most sense for 7/18-20? Always quality over quantity.

Last time I was up to Wild Haven, there were not restrooms, nor shelter. I think there may have been a porta potty on site.

I think Whiskey is probably the most physical course out that way. Though both Beast and Beauty do not lack for elevation.

If you are staying in Ludington, a day at Mason County is a nice day. Close drive, pack a lunch. If you find you have time left over and your feeling good, the local Ludington courses can make nice filler.

I think Whiskey is probably the most physical course out that way. Though both Beast and Beauty do not lack for elevation.

If you are staying in Ludington, a day at Mason County is a nice day. Close drive, pack a lunch. If you find you have time left over and your feeling good, the local Ludington courses can make nice filler.

Everything he said is spot on.

Camping at Wild Haven is pretty awesome. If the sky is clear, expect to see a lot of stars at night. Yep you can glow and party all night long if you're up for it, the baskets were lit up last time I was out there. Speaking of baskets he has nice new Innova 28s. Just check with Mike beforehand to see what he has going on and if he still has baskets lit up. Recommend the OG course for glo, it's a lot more in the open and a bit less rugged. There are camping spots all over the property so you can get pretty secluded out there.

Thanks for all the replies and good info. Would love to have a sky full of stars for glow, though moon will be getting towards full (also not bad for glow!) Then, turns out we're staying just a couple miles away from Whiskey Hills.

As for Vallarta-Ast (and Diamond X): my only disc golf experience at that point had been in Washington state, and I had never seen courses like these. For Vallarta-Ast, it was the distinct, mowed fairways, wood chips pathways and greens, and cool landscaping. Just a completely different feel from the courses I had played to that point, which were park like (with big ass trees), or more wooded (with big ass trees.)

Really looking forward to this trip!

Gotcha, thanks for the reply!

If you are spending any time in GR, hands down the best course IN Grand Rapids is Johnson Park.
Brewer is okay, Jaycee is good too. Everything else is so-so. And probably crowded too.
The closest course to the airport (Gerald R Ford) is Cascade Twp Park. It is only good enough to say it is a course that has baskets. The layout is horrible. Terrible flow, no real signage to speak of. BUT, in a pinch, and you only had an hour to spare before getting on that plane, yeah, sure go ahead.

And ditto to most of what ru4 said above. I would pick Breakers over Shore Acres.

Latest posts