• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What am I doing wrong?

Sounds like you are throwing discs that are too fast for you, and looks like you are trying to release them too flat. It is a lot easier to get a disc nose down if you release it hyzer and flip it up or over, or if you release it anhyzer. It also looks like you aren't accelerating explosively during the disc pivot. It is almost like you are slowing down at the last instead of speeding up. Have you tried learning to drive putters and mids first, and then stepping up to drivers?

I'm not sure about the speed of my discs. In the video I threw all champ plastic. Beast, Valk, Viking, Wraith. The higher speed discs seem to stay lower more consistently (such as my Vulcan).

I have beautiful throws sometimes but It feels like I m rolling the dice whether or not I,m going straight, to the right, or to the left.

I feel like it is a weight transfer issue or my hip orientation but I cant nail it down.

Pm sidwinder22 with those and get his advice

What is far?
With all due respect that isn't good form. I'm not saying that to be mean...just that it really doesn't look right.
It looks like you are spinning and releasing around your hips instead of actually properly pulling through.

Agreed with all the above, between the grainy camera resolution it looks like a huge frisbee curl around instead of bringing the throw through the core. The upper arm is collapsed too close to your chest so your elbow doesn't get forward of the shoulder for a good whip of the lower arm. Also you are opening the hip before weight transfers to the front leg. You need to brace your spine on the front leg. Dropping your throwing shoulder in the backswing and letting the arm loose should help you get more over the disc and allow you to swing through your core. Also stay off the rear heel, you are trying to load too much back which slows you down where you should be accelerating. There's tons of vids in this section that will help you, I'd start with this one and throwing putters/mids.

What they said. It should be more like starting a pull start lawn mower, where you pull through your center of gravity.

But those are all pretty fast discs you are using that are going to be more difficult to control. Some knowledgeable folks on here recommend avoiding all those discs until you can throw a midrange disc 300 feet, and a fairway driver (teebird or leopard, for example) 350 feet.

Also, a lot of people seem to think it is easier to "feel the hit" with a larger diameter, and heavier, midrange disc. So why don't you at least try that? Something like a buzz flies well on a low line. Most people would recommend a comet though. As far as timing, you really can't overemphasize the need to slow down the start of your run up and pull, so you can accelerate suddenly at the very end. To me, it feels like moving in slow motion for the majority of the pull.

Thanks for the advice!

I will be posting up some better quality videos shortly however it is storming here. I had the camera set to limit video quality for texting and forgot to remove it for the throws.

As for my distance. I can throw most of my drivers 350+ with consistent distance it is my accuracy that suffers so tremendously. Very tight wooded courses destroy me off the tee-pad because of a huge inconsistency in my aim.

Also, a lot of people seem to think it is easier to "feel the hit" with a larger diameter, and heavier, midrange disc. So why don't you at least try that? Something like a buzz flies well on a low line. Most people would recommend a comet though. As far as timing, you really can't overemphasize the need to slow down the start of your run up and pull, so you can accelerate suddenly at the very end. To me, it feels like moving in slow motion for the majority of the pull.

I agree with this, other than the comet part. I'd go with a 180+ FLX Buzzz for the purpose of feeling the hit. 180+ for more weight to feel, FLX because it's the easiest to really dig your grip into. Buzzz because it's large diameter, and unbeaded. I really don't think I feel the hit well with beaded discs.

I agree with this, other than the comet part. I'd go with a 180+ FLX Buzzz for the purpose of feeling the hit. 180+ for more weight to feel, FLX because it's the easiest to really dig your grip into. Buzzz because it's large diameter, and unbeaded. I really don't think I feel the hit well with beaded discs.
I prefer beaded discs. Also not sure I'd recommend a 180g FLX Buzzz for a beginner, due to the over-stability, and the flexing/warping of the disc which may make it harder to throw other discs and drivers that don't flex.

I would recommend getting one of the Buzz's in a 167 to 170. The reason being It's easier to control and since it's not heavy you really don't have to kill it to get it to do it's job. If there is anything wrong with your throw it's more than likely you since the disc is in this weight range.

All my discs range from 167 to 170 because they are easier to control,And If I do make a mistake it's much easier to make a correction,because I know it was me and not the disc.

Latest posts