• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What are the pros of keeping off-arm off disc?

disc-golf-neil

Birdie Member
In this video

IIRC, Ezra suggests Paul U tries taking his off arm off the disc and also mentions McBeth started doing this recently, but old footages seems to contradict that.

What are your thoughts on the potential benefits of removing the off arm from the disc? It seems like plenty of pros do it, like Simon and Eagle, and it doesn't feel like it's in the way at all.

Last edited:
Some people mess up their timing and or alignment by two handing and in extreme cases it can mess with balance.

People who learned to throw as children can get away with it because they have thousands of hours of practice to work around it.

People just starting out who do it 99% of the time have terrible timing and wonky posture that can be immediately improved by keeping the off arm off the disc.

It's all a person by person thing and there isn't a right or wrong to it more so it can impact people differently.

Some people mess up their timing and or alignment by two handing and in extreme cases it can mess with balance.

People who learned to throw as children can get away with it because they have thousands of hours of practice to work around it.

People just starting out who do it 99% of the time have terrible timing and wonky posture that can be immediately improved by keeping the off arm off the disc.

It's all a person by person thing and there isn't a right or wrong to it more so it can impact people differently.
Thanks. I'll have to give it a try after I'm done with the other tweaks I'm working on but it seems hard to do because I currently feel like it's a timing aid cue. Does it look to you like it could be interfering in my form in the latest video here?

Core philosophy: Do everything to simplify your throw. The least amount of unnecessary movements the better.

Alternative philosophy: Do whatever it takes to not make extraneous movements, but if a waggle helps you keep your timing, use the waggle.

Most pros, from my understanding, use the off hand to help get the disc where they want it in the throw. Kind of like a security check.
We know simon doesn't need it, cause when he throws the revolver, he doesn't do it, but he does it almost every other time he throws. The key is to get the off arm into position on time and keep it in time.

It's more of a waggle than anything. Help you setup sorta deal.

I'd not ever suggest it to someone to help them throw better if that's what you're asking.
Some people just have weird habits and if it doesn't hurt the swing timing and isn't complicated, why bother to change it?

It's weird stuff like.. for instance, paige's little flippy thing she does before putting. I see absolutely no use for that whatsoever, but its her waggle for putting the helps set her mind right. But you'd never encourage people to do that.

Thanks. I'll have to give it a try after I'm done with the other tweaks I'm working on but it seems hard to do because I currently feel like it's a timing aid cue. Does it look to you like it could be interfering in my form in the latest video here?

I think you can have a preference to touch the disc with your off-hand without it interfering, but...in your case I think it actually might be a hindrance that is keeping the disc too close to you and not letting you feel the correct wide upper arm angle that you want to target.

Your upper arm angle collapses and causes you to round and pull the disc around your body pretty significantly. This was the best image I could get to illustrate it:

123.png

If you click pause/play slowly through this section of your swing, hopefully you see what I mean.

I think you can have a preference to touch the disc with your off-hand without it interfering, but...in your case I think it actually might be a hindrance that is keeping the disc too close to you and not letting you feel the correct wide upper arm angle that you want to target.

Your upper arm angle collapses and causes you to round and pull the disc around your body pretty significantly. This was the best image I could get to illustrate it:

View attachment 328902

If you click pause/play slowly through this section of your swing, hopefully you see what I mean.
Makes sense, thanks. I'll try exaggerating the wide rail. I used to but then started focusing on not reaching reaching back too early and probably reverted a bit to more rounding.

Latest posts