• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What disc do you use for long, narrow, straight, tunnel type fairways?

I was fooling around with some discs yesterday, and I took out my 168 Pro D Destryoer. Its been beat in some , and has landed on concrete a few times. I was shocked that this disc flew straight as an arrow for almost 300ft. Its now my new straight, tight fairway, tunnel disc. For shorter shots I use the Buzz.

I do my best to avoid drivers on tunnel shots. Sharp edges of drivers seem to bounce much further off the fairway if they knick a tree compared to blunt mids and putters.

I'll add that if I had a magic bag in which of my discs were available in all plastics I would throw soft plastics like FLX or r-Pro to minimize bounce as well on those tight shots.

I CANNOT make the Star SL go straight. I am in the minority? That thing hyzers every time I throw it. Managed to get a straight line for the first time the other day with it (172 g Star), on like the 20th time.

I believe you are in the minority. That disc is super straight when thrown flat.

Hole #6 at Nevin Park.

view_image.php

I threw my Roc.

I threw my Python on this hole. For tunnels like this I'll throw my Python or Scorpion and hyzer-flip them. For narrower tunnels or tunnels with really low ceilings I'll use my Shark or my Stingray.

I haven't taken the time to read all the replies to the original question, so I'm sure my response will overlap with others'.
I don't like throwing drivers on any tightly wooded hole. If the tunnel is really tight I will reach for a stable putter or a stable mid.

For tunnels ranging from really tight to fairly open I would throw:
Stable putter (dozens to choose from)
Stable mid (Comet, etc.)
Overstable mid (Roc, etc.)
Stable fairway driver (like a Leopard or a Stalker, etc.)

Comets or Rocs are a good, safe bet. I don't think I would ever reach for something faster than an OLF on a tunnel unless it was ridiculously wide.

Depending on length, I use my KC Pro eagle or Z stalker. Both fly straight but I tend to rely on my eagle for straight shots. Also use my very old and very beaten DX shark, although its turned into a very understable disc. Lose it to the right when thrown hard.

STALKER. maybe my found pro teebird if its the winter and i don't wanna shatter my stalker. can discs shatter in the winter at, say, 25 degrees if they smack a tree, specifically z plastic / champion?

STALKER. maybe my found pro teebird if its the winter and i don't wanna shatter my stalker. can discs shatter in the winter at, say, 25 degrees if they smack a tree, specifically z plastic / champion?
it's much more likely to happen with DX type plastic, your Stalkers should be fairly safe

Good! about all i thow is z plastic! all my drivers including fairway are z/champ, and then a z buzzz. one star, one esp flx, the rest are dx/pro d

I haven't taken the time to read all the replies to the original question, so I'm sure my response will overlap with others'.
I don't like throwing drivers on any tightly wooded hole. If the tunnel is really tight I will reach for a stable putter or a stable mid.

For tunnels ranging from really tight to fairly open I would throw:
Stable putter (dozens to choose from)
Stable mid (Comet, etc.)
Overstable mid (Roc, etc.)
Stable fairway driver (like a Leopard or a Stalker, etc.)

Comets or Rocs are a good, safe bet. I don't think I would ever reach for something faster than an OLF on a tunnel unless it was ridiculously wide.

Pretty sound reasoning. I don't drive putters much for some reason but I usually use mids like a Nebula and a QMS for this. It's not the tightness of the tunnel that scares me as much as the thickness of the rough. If the rough isn't too thick I have no problem throwing Stalkers, TLs, Teebirds, etc. b/c I have a pretty good get out of trouble game.

Champion Panther 168g. Just give it a light snap and put the outside tip down. If I aim low I slide in for birdie, and if I put out a little more power or catch a glide I'm running at ace. If there's a headwind I'll use a max weight Champ Panther.

168 - 171 EliteX Stratus. I throw with a hard hyzer, so it will generally flip up and fly pretty flat. Either that or I will throw a Blowfly. With the right release, those things will glide for a good while.

Nice advice Biscuits. That's a great way to use a Stratus. I do the same sometimes, especially uphill. Welcome to the DGCR forums.

Depends on the ceiling. If I've got height to work with, a worn Wizard or a Roc. If it's longer, and theres a ceiling, usually something I can flip up (JLS, QJLS, Leopard, maybe a Pro Beast). If it's really long and the ceiling's low, I might forehand roll a Firebird.

soft pro rhyno. If you don't hit a tree you can make it as far as any midrange. If you do hit a tree it will taco and hit the ground instead of bouncing off. However super soft rhyno's are hard to find.

I think you should be asking Redneck Machismo. We all know how much he loves any course that has trees.