• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What do you say to a disc diving card mate?

i have really good disc finding eyes. and that is the worst.

The way I see it is if I won't swim to get it then its lost. I always call to try and return discs but if its in a pond and I don't have the guts to swim for it it's my loss finders keepers. I watched a buddy throw one into the middle of a big pond whoever finds that one is the man. Now bash if u want to lol.

If there's some sort of ink on a disc, I always try to get it back to the owner, no matter where I find it. That being said I'm pretty much on board with the above train of thought. It's one thing if you come across a disc in the process of playing your round, whether looking for your or a card mate's shot - I believe you should make a reasonable attempt to get the disc back to the owner if there's number or other ID on it.

However, going into water is different. The person who threw it in the water made a conscious decision to abandon their disc: whether that's because it was too deep, too nasty, too dangerous, too scary, too wet... pissed though they were when it happened, they just didn't think it was worth the hassle of going after it. The diver is making a conscious effort to salvage discs, and is assuming the risk/hassle that the previous owners were not willing to assume. A call back would be nice, but I have no mean words for a disc diver that keeps/sells stuff I wasn't willing to go after. If the wet disc was thrown in water by someone who foound it on land and didn't call, then the crime was committed by the first finder, not the diver.

I have unkind words for those who don't call phone #'s on disc found on land. This applies to tourneys, casual rounds, whatever... it's all disc golf to me.

Last edited:
Wow. Now some of you guys are making distinctions between wet lost discs and dry lost discs. There must be some cool law degrees being found in boxes of Captain Crunch. I may have to go buy me a box.

If there's some sort of ink on a disc, I always try to get it back to the owner, no matter where I find it. That being said I'm pretty much on board with the above train of thought. It's one thing if you come across a disc in the process of playing your round, whether looking for your or a card mate's shot - I believe you should make a reasonable attempt to get the disc back to the owner if there's number or other ID on it.

However, going into water is different. The person who threw it in the water made a conscious decision to abandon their disc: whether that's because it was too deep, too nasty, too dangerous, too scary, too wet... pissed though they were when it happened, they just didn't think it was worth the hassle of going after it. The diver is making a conscious effort to salvage discs, and is assuming the risk/hassle that the previous owners were not willing to assume. A call back would be nice, but I have no mean words for a disc diver that keeps/sells stuff I wasn't willing to go after. If the wet disc was thrown in water by someone who foound it on land and didn't call, then the crime was committed by the first finder, not the diver.

I have unkind words for those who don't call phone #'s on disc found on land. This applies to tourneys, casual rounds, whatever... it's all disc golf to me.

How is it different though when you think about it? According to the logic you're using, they technically abandoned their disc on land when they stopped looking for it.

Only way I can see getting angry over someone not returning a disc, is if you lose it during tournament play (other than putting it into water you know you won't get into). In a tournament you don't get unlimited amounts of time to get the disc back, so if someone snatches it that is playing behind you, I can see the issue there.

Outside of tournament play, if you lose the disc, and abandon looking for it, you gave up your right to complain about the disc in question. Yes, the right thing to do is return the disc if possible, but it is not an obligation. I've lost atleast 12 discs (not all by my own doing) in my short time of play. I never expect to see them again, I gave up looking and I will/have replaced the disc. Sure some may have sentimental value, but if they had that much sentimental value, maybe you shouldn't run the risk of losing said disc.

I have returned discs, and I will do so again. If I lose a disc, I replace it myself, if they want to return it to me, I'll trade them a disc for it. But to say, it's mandatory to return discs, is silly in itself. Not everyone has the same mindset, and we have all lost discs, if you see someone using the disc, mention it was yours that you lost(if you tagged it), if they are willing to return it, good for them, if not, then that's when you question the type of person they are. Don't question them when they don't call or text you to return it, maybe they are a really busy person?

Outside of tournament play, if you lose the disc, and abandon looking for it, you gave up your right to complain about the disc in question. Yes, the right thing to do is return the disc if possible, but it is not an obligation. I've lost atleast 12 discs (not all by my own doing) in my short time of play. I never expect to see them again, I gave up looking and I will/have replaced the disc. Sure some may have sentimental value, but if they had that much sentimental value, maybe you shouldn't run the risk of losing said disc.
This is stated perfect. I also agree though that it is always nice to be called or texted when you lose a disc and I will always do the same but for all these people who have their panties in a bunch over people who find discs and don't return them well it is your fault in the first place you lost the disc. It sucks but who said life was fair?

Does this "abandoned property" law people are citing apply specifically to discs, or all types of personal property?

If I find something that's not mine---especially if I expended effort to find it---can I immediately declare it abandoned and claim it? Even if I don't know the circumstances that resulted in its being where I found it?

wow, a sad face of the sport that this attitude of inconsiderate behavior is so popular. Blows my mind how people over the age of 4 can think "finders keepers" is an acceptable way to live life. Despite all this, if i find your disc, i will still call you and try to get it back to you, despite it appearing that the majority of you won't do the same for me or anyone else. I won't be one of the a-holes who steals.

Wow. Now some of you guys are making distinctions between wet lost discs and dry lost discs. There must be some cool law degrees being found in boxes of Captain Crunch. I may have to go buy me a box.

I kinda' hope they're right. I have big plans for this Abandonment Law. I have my sights set on better things than just old discs. And I may need these guys to defend me in court.

It is always the right thing to do to offer to return someone's property to them. You have no idea the circumstances which brought the disc to that place. The only thing you know is that it's not yours.

The right thing for the disc owner to do, if the retrieval is extraordinary---like in gator-infested waters---is to offer a reward. Whether you accept the reward is up to you.

I personally don't accept a reward, at least not in cash, If you wanna buy me a beer well that's another story :)

Proverbs and opinions aside, there is that thing called the law. I know, it's only good when you need it, but it's also there when you break it :D

You know, we learned as very young children that we dont just take things that dont belong to us. Why dont you go fish your disc and leave the rest?

Why don't I go fish my disc and leave the rest? Well, there is a very simple answer for that, while I don't think down on anyone who pulls a disc out of possable gator infested water and keeps the disc, there are at least 2 guys that go out on a rusty little row boat and fish the shallows for discs, they do not play themselves but I'm pretty sure they sell the found discs on line without making any calls, I've lost a bunch of discs in the water down here that I was unable to find and only got 2 calls back so I know others find discs and do not call, so I figure it's better for me to fish out any discs I find and call the # on it if there is one rather than have somebody else fish it out and sell it at least the owner will get their disc back if I find it, if there is no # on it then I will keep it and if I can get a new player to come out to try disc golf I will let them borrow those. If I come across someone that says thay lost said disc I would let them know I found it and give it back to them(however that has only happened once) but I have returned all but 2 I found with a phone # on them and those 2 when I called there was no one with the name on the disc at that #.

I kinda' hope they're right. I have big plans for this Abandonment Law. I have my sights set on better things than just old discs. And I may need these guys to defend me in court.

Me too! ;)

The next time I see a car parked on a street in the same place for more than 3 hours in the rain, I am going to claim it as abandoned. There is no way anyone would think it's OK to leave a car out in the rain like that!

Me too! ;)

The next time I see a car parked on a street in the same place for more than 3 hours in the rain, I am going to claim it as abandoned. There is no way anyone would think it's OK to leave a car out in the rain like that!

Here we go again... :popcorn:

A disc and car are not comparable. I am not saying don't return discs I am saying be reasonable with the discussion of returned discs.

A disc and car are not comparable. I am not saying don't return discs I am saying be reasonable with the discussion of returned discs.

Why not?

A chucker caught stealing a pack of gum from a grocery store can be arrested and charged with simple theft.

A d-bag caught stealing a car in the grocery store parking lot can be arrested and charged with motor vehicle theft.

Either way the d-bags and chuckers are claiming something as their own that did not belong to them prior to breaking the law.

The value of stolen property only correlates to the punishment handed down to the people dumb enough to steal items that do not belong to them.

A misdemeanor and a felony. That's a big difference.

A disc is more like the pack of gum, not the car.

I'm curious what should make discs different, anway? Isn't this the right thing to do for anything you find, anywhere? A wallet or a runaway dog or a car left in a parking lot or a phone or anything else of value? If you know it's not yours it must be someone else's; if it's reasonable to assume it has value and fairly easy to ascertain the owner, shouldn't you try to return it?

While I do agree with you on the principal of this issue, and have made efforts to return both discs I found with #'s on them, I think this is being a bit overly dramatic.

I have never thrown my wallet, dog or car over a potential hazard or even thought about doing it. I dont bring my wallet with me when playing so I cant lose it, I leave it locked in my car. I dont park in illegal or restricted parking lots as I dont want my car towed. While my dog does have my name and number on his collar, I have yet to pack him in my bag and chuck him over hazards.

There is inherent risk when using items to play sports. Softballs and baseballs get hit over the fence, sometimes into woods and sometimes kids take them. Should we prosecute people who find balls? How about golf balls? Many a golfer hit them in the woods or water and give up on them. Have yet to find a single golf ball with a name & number on it. Balls go flat, get holes, things happen all the time.

I am not saying it is right or wrong, just that when we make decisions on what to throw you have to at least consider the fact it might get lost. It may stay stuck on the bottom of the pond forever, it may get found by somebody else, it may not get returned. Sure it would be nice to get back, but if it doesn't and I am the one who threw it in the water I have to take some blame for putting myself in this position. I wont lose sleep over a lost disc, but I would over a lost car, wallet and my dog.

I guess I am not as entitled as a few of the posters here. Those who take no blame for the situation and want to make whomever finds their misplaced disc out to be the good guy or the villain. If I am willing to risk losing a disc, I need to know I also risk the chance of never seeing it again.

Either action will result in an arrest if caught by a local Law Enforcement Officer.

Since this is about finding discs, a LE Officer will never arrest some one for not returning a found disc. So the stealing a pack of gum isn't even a true comparison.

Latest posts