• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What driver?

jase

Bogey Member
The title says it all. What disc would you prefer. I am in need of a new driver and wondering what one to get. I want it to be over 170 g. The discs I already have for drivers are a Beast and a Roc. Help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.[/blue]

Whoops. Didn't get that color code right did I? :roll:

i think the close command is [/color]

before i give any recommendations...

how far do you throw on average with the beast?

what is your preferred line? (low line drive, big s-curve, etc.)

what is your preferred angle of release? (flat, hyzer, anhyzer)

Yeah need some info on yer style...
I throw a lotta Innova's that have a -1 high speed turn, and then end up overstable....I just use different discs for certain things.

But my friend that i play a lot with prefers Very Overstable discs that he throws with a lotta Anhyzer. Different styles to get the same thing done.

Tell us what you are comfortable with and it'll make a recomendation even better suited for yer style.

on average i throw around 250' with my beast. my preferred line is a low line drive

i guess next question... champion/pro line beast or dx?

imo, w/ 250' power, the beast is probably too fast of a disc to get max D with. i throw about 350' and i consider them too fast for me... but a lot of that is my throwing style.

generally, i separate drivers into groups that i recommend as minimum power levels.

225-275'
cheetah, gazelle, leopard, xl, polaris ls, raven, sabre, bomb

275-325'
cyclone, eagle, teebird, valkyrie, xs, jls

325'+
wildcat, beast, viking, orc, illusion, talon, flash, predator, crush, spirit, reaper, x2

the two components of consideration are stability and speed. i would just be wary over discs that are overly fast or overstable... as they can lead to tendencies you may end up spending a lot of time having to repair in the long run.

the actual d difference will likely be around 10% between each group.

jase said:
on average i throw around 250' with my beast. my preferred line is a low line drive

That's about what I throw. Right now when I want an accurate, straight shot I reach for my Leopard. I've also had good luck with the Cheetah and XL.

P.S. Do they have many courses around Watertown? My mom's from there so I end up going there for family reunions every couple of years.

From what it sounds like to me, a cheetah or a gazelle would work well for you Jase (go with whatever Blake suggests though cause he really knows his stuff :D ). These are pretty much the same disc (though I've found the cheetah is a bit straighter with its left fade coming a bit later in its flight). These discs are very controllable, straight fliers with a slight left fade at the end. They aren't nearly as fast as your Beast but with good technique you shouldn't have any problems getting them out to 250-275'. When I started I threw Gazelles and now that my technique has improved I still throw my Gazelles when I need a good controlled 300' fairway drive.

Latest posts