• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is the best/your favorite disc retriever

Bhopkins1311

Bogey Member
What is your favorite disc retriever. Ive seen the disc gater, golden retriever, disc dog. What do yall recommend. what is easiest and most efficient.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Ive used a couple and haven't like them. Either myself or my buddy's German Shepard are better.

I've talk to a couple people that did like the golden retriever though.

I've got a Golden Retriever for water, and have only found it to be a good tool for getting discs out of clear, un-stirred, flat bottomed areas of water. Even then, you have to have the patience of a fisherman (which I don't). A friend of mine has a Disc Gator with extension poles and it works much more efficiently.

Been through quite a few, still looking for the best:

Disc Gator: Outstanding grip. In fact, the grip is too good when getting discs out of schule. Can get stuck on branches. Side note, the "pole" option they sell is pretty much worthless. Breaks apart too easily.

Disc Dog: Nice that it is lightweight and compact, but I have found that it does not grip as well as I had hoped.

Quic Stic: Very durable and compact. Nub on the end is ok. He is working on a different attachment. Depending on how that goes, this will probably end up being the main one I use.

Orange Ring Golf Ball Retriever: Great option. Used it for about 3 years. Downside is durability. I probably went through 4 of them in the 3 year period. The ring works surprisingly well on discs with no modifications needed.

RexArm: Heard good things about it. I have not used it yet, but have one on order.

If the Rex Arm does not work out like I hope, I will probably find a way to easily swap out between the nub on the Quic Stic with the Gator (Depending on disc retrieval situation) until the new attachment for the Quic Stic comes out.

Last edited:
The Rex arm pole is a lot more sturdy than the Disc Gators pole. You can tell the difference just by holding it. The hook doesn't grab it quite as well as the gators clip does, but you can usually drag it up to shore easily. It drags the disc fine, it's just hard to lift it with it. I carry a Rex arm and a golden retriever, between the two you can get most anything out.

From all my research and you guys i think ill get a disc rex.. If anyone has reviews of experiences please post

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

I bag a Disc Gator w/11' tent poles and a Golden Retriever. The Gator is deployable in a greater variety of situations, and almost always quicker to use. The only situation where the GR is a better option is when the disc lands in the water more than 12' or so from the shore, and it's clear enough to use. By clear enough, not only do I mean visibility so you can see where to throw it, but also lack of submerged obstacles like rocks, branches, and vegetation that a GR can get hung up on, or that can redirect a GR around your disc as it draws near.

Gators also work great for trees, thorny lies, under fences, etc.

I use a Fatmaxx tape measure. Works great for trees if it isn't too windy, easily reaches 20 feet or more if you lean the tape against lower branches. Also good in water if there isn't too much current.

I have the disc gator and golden retriever and both work just fine. If a disc is close enough I go with a disc gator as it is faster than unrolling the sting on the golden. I also use the disc gator to get discs out of bushes and trees so it has more use than just for water.

The golden retriever is great in clear water. If you can see the disc in the water I can usually get in only a few tries. Murky water or water with a lot of weeds is hard as you can bury the disc by stirring up dirt.

You can get lucky with the golden sometimes in dark water if you know where the disc is but it works best when you can clearly see the disc.

I liked the rexarm at first, but after a few months it's gotten where it doesn't telescope well. I've been very careful with the thing, I try to clean it off before closing it, I don't slam it on the ground to close it. But I've got several sections jammed together that won't open or close. It's not bending like I see gators do, it just won't telescope anymore.

The only place you have to worry about losing a disc where I normally throw rounds is up in a tree. Luckily, there are bamboo poles located throughout the courses :D

A Fatmax weighs the equivalent of 3 to 3.5 discs, which could be a deal breaker if I'm already loaded to the max. Still, I'd probably try one out if I regularly threw on a course with a lot of hazards.

Been through quite a few, still looking for the best:

Disc Gator: Outstanding grip. In fact, the grip is too good when getting discs out of schule. Can get stuck on branches. Side note, the "pole" option they sell is pretty much worthless. Breaks apart too easily.

Disc Dog: Nice that it is lightweight and compact, but I have found that it does not grip as well as I had hoped.

Quic Stic: Very durable and compact. Nub on the end is ok. He is working on a different attachment. Depending on how that goes, this will probably end up being the main one I use.

Orange Ring Golf Ball Retriever: Great option. Used it for about 3 years. Downside is durability. I probably went through 4 of them in the 3 year period. The ring works surprisingly well on discs with no modifications needed.

RexArm: Heard good things about it. I have not used it yet, but have one on order.

If the Rex Arm does not work out like I hope, I will probably find a way to easily swap out between the nub on the Quic Stic with the Gator (Depending on disc retrieval situation) until the new attachment for the Quic Stic comes out.

Update:

When I got the RexArm, I thought it was going to be the one. Has good size, good function, and appears to be durable. However, the telescoping joints are not durable and mine and a friends RexArm did not last more than a few months.

To clarify on the Gator pole, it is worthless in the thick brush. If using it in the open or in water, it functions ok.

I am back to using the Quic Stic. Looking forward to the new attachment coming out.

I use a Fatmaxx tape measure. Works great for trees if it isn't too windy, easily reaches 20 feet or more if you lean the tape against lower branches. Also good in water if there isn't too much current.

I'll second this. I've got a 50 footer and it does weigh a bit in the bag. After you get a knack for extending it without collapsing you can easily get any disc out of a tree.