• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is the best/your favorite disc retriever

For those who don't know, the Kwik Stick (I have the XL) now comes with replaceable screw on heads-arm and a hook. 14' reach. We have been pleased with it. There is also a 21' version called XXL.

In an effort to save my shoulder from throwing baseballs to retrieve my discs, I have decided to invest in Retrieval devices. I picked up a Kwik Stik XXL and a Slingshot. for the slingshot, I plan on using clay shot or sand filled balloons for ammo as to not damage the discs. The Kwik Stik comes with an attachment, but I wonder if I should Loctite the threads because it seems to unscrew itself very easily.

Better solution is to find wing nuts that fit the thread. I put one nut on each attachment. I screw the attachment in, and then tighten down on the wingnut to secure it in place. The wingnut makes for easy removal to switch between attachments on the course.

In an effort to save my shoulder from throwing baseballs to retrieve my discs, I have decided to invest in Retrieval devices. I picked up a Kwik Stik XXL and a Slingshot. for the slingshot, I plan on using clay shot or sand filled balloons for ammo as to not damage the discs. The Kwik Stik comes with an attachment, but I wonder if I should Loctite the threads because it seems to unscrew itself very easily.

I shoot slingshots as a hobby so I carry a slingshot to retrieve discs out of trees. My first choice is clay ammo, if that doesn't work I move uo to a 1/2" marble.
A slingshot works well if the disc isn't "wedged".
Always make sure you know what is " down range" because a missed shot can go a long way. Ricochets off of limbs can also be dangerous.

I shoot slingshots as a hobby so I carry a slingshot to retrieve discs out of trees. My first choice is clay ammo, if that doesn't work I move uo to a 1/2" marble.
A slingshot works well if the disc isn't "wedged".
Always make sure you know what is " down range" because a missed shot can go a long way. Ricochets off of limbs can also be dangerous.

Thank you for the info, definitely some things to keep in mind for safety's sake. do you think the felt balls could work for a disc that is not wedged?

Thank you for the info, definitely some things to keep in mind for safety's sake. do you think the felt balls could work for a disc that is not wedged?

No, 1/2" clay weighs 2 grams and it carries enough energy to free a disc that is barely stuck. I think that is the lightest ammo that will work.
A 1/2" marble weighs 2.8 grams and it carries enough energy to free discs that are balanced on limbs if you hit the wing.
Smaller diameter heavy ammo could penetrate the disc.