• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] What is the Rattler for?

ViolaBouquet

Eagle Member
I have yet to own, or throw a Rattler. I don't know what the reason would be for putting it in my bag (especially because it would lake up so much space).

What do you use the Rattler for?

I use an elite pro rattler for upshots mainly and short drives if im feeling it. On upshots it has very low fade for me, it just sits straight down when it runs out of speed. It's great for running the chains. A very intuitive disc, it does what i think it will.

It also is surprisingly stable on drives. A nice smooth throw with some height gets it to 250 for me no problem.

And it isnt gigantic or anything. Its a small diameter but a bit deeper/taller than your average putter. I fit it in the putter pocket of my fade crunch along with 2 aviars.

If youre intrigued by lids or just want a sweet approach disc i recommend it.

You could probably get your answers in any of these threads.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35875

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39284

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16104

I've recently put one (along with a Sonic and a new Polecat that I've yet to throw) in my bag, and I've been loving it. There aren't a whole lot of better options to throw when you need to get out of trouble and have little to no movement for a throw. They're also great for me up to 200' knowing they will not go more than a few feet past the basket. One of the best finesse discs out there.

runs...with little to no blow by
runs...with almost zero fade
get out of trouble...has lots of glide...can go with just a wrist flick
some hyzer approaches
some anhyzer approaches

catch

I frigging swear by the Rattler

it is awesome

it's not fast
it won't go far
it's pure stable...does the line that you ask of it

I don't putt with it

you can take longer runs right at the chains and not miss by much. i like them for trickier greens where missing by a few extra feet can make a big difference. i don't carry one all the time at the moment but will toss one in the bag from time to time. as mentioned above, they are nice for low power shots out of the schule where you may not have enough room to get a strong throw. best thing i can recommend is - get one or two and try them out. they are slower comets. also fun for playing catch before a round. lids are awesome.

I should PM this but is the yellow rattler that you posted in that group an example of the one you gave me the heads up about in the PM?

I use mine from about 170 feet and in for all of the reasons that ManU said. It is an excellent approach disc but I don't like it as a putter. It is just so darn predictable, even if my throw is offline it still seems to land fairly close to the basket since you get no fade or skip away. I think everyone should have a lid-type disc in their bag.

I have yet to own, or throw a Rattler. I don't know what the reason would be for putting it in my bag (especially because it would lake up so much space).

What do you use the Rattler for?

Deadly Ace Runs! It is a great disc if you can throw lids well.

I never would have known had I not left my putters in my practice basket. Ended up using the Rattler the entire weekend.....and it was awesome off the tee.

Last edited:
It's similar to a pure in flight minus the glide the pure has right?

Except it's a perfect bowl for discin' dogs lol

No way a Pure has more glide than a Rattler, lol. The Rattler is a great lid, I really liked the stability of it but it was ultimately too deep dish to knock the Rattler out of my bag.

The Rattler's more like a Comet (as GLong said above). It's super slow, super glidey, neutral in flight with a very slight fade, and enjoys some height to do its thing. It's also not a fan of bad form at all.

A Pure is more like a Buzzz.

BroD, I think you meant its too deep dish to knock your Polecat out of the bag.

BroD, I think you meant its too deep dish to knock your Polecat out of the bag.

Derp on my part, correct. My brain is still thawing out from the tourney I played in yesterday.

Just in time to numb it for the Super Bowl!

I just had a friend give me my first PC Friday, an R-Pro. I've fallen for my Rattler and Sonic so I'm more pumped (like a giddy schoolgirl) to try it than I am the D1 and D4. Too bad I won't get the chance until next weekend at least. With the Rattler and Sonic kind of on opposite ends of the stability spectrum, I really am hoping the PC will slot right in the middle.

i have thought about trying a birdie. the grip is a little better IMO. when i don't throw the rattler for a while it takes me a little practice to get it dialed in again. the birdie is also just a touch more low speed overstable compared to the rattler.

Really like Rattlers, I'm on my 3rd. I used to putt with one but found it to be really good for straight up shots with hardly any fade. The older ones turnover if I really yank them. For me they are good up to about 100'.