• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What Is/Was Your Favorite Now Extinct Course?

BuzzSharpe

Par Member
By today's standards, it would be considered a Green level wide open bore, but I loved Bryan Park, north of Greensboro. It was the first North Carolina course that I played, after returning home from LA, where I had discovered the sport when it was about a year old. I found Bryan Park in early 1983, and didn't get to play it long, before it was bulldozed, to make room for cricket fields, or some such. It ranged in distance from 60' #16 to a longest Hole of 220/230-something, running alongside the forest, with pretty, planted Formosa trees defining the green.
Private, nine hole Hidden Valley, adjacent to the not so hot Massey Palace nine holer in the Bellemont community south of Burlington was an excellent wooded layout. Its coolest Hole was number 5, I think. Though deep in the forest, the Hole was fairly open, running alongside a creek on the left, with a green, green grass fairway and featured a slideable hanging basket.
As a pair, both courses made for a decent, fun, challenging 18, and were part of The Homegrown Tour. Massey Palace had a cool hanging basket in a very well defined green and one jammed into a four trunk tree. Targets ranged from nice new manufactured baskets to homemade washtub receptacles and tees were well placed rubber mats. Good open and wooded variety, elevation differentials, with several water hazards and a basket placed in a barn loft door. Benches scattered throughout and a couple of tarp shelters along the way. And closely convenient to Cedarock/Wellspring.

I never got to play Laurel Springs but it sounded like a cool place to play some of the premier events back in the late 80s with some shots lofted down into a grid of Christmas trees.

I never got to play Laurel Springs but it sounded like a cool place to play some of the premier events back in the late 80s with some shots lofted down into a grid of Christmas trees.

I tried to play Laurel Springs once back in high school. This was in 1996 or so, and I think we had a 1994 PDGA course directory (the old fashioned paper version). We drove the hour to Laurel Springs and then spent half an hour wandering around trying to find the course. Eventually we stop at the general store and ask the people in there if they knew anything about it. "Oh yea, I always liked watching those guys throw those frisbee things. Well, they took it out last year, sorry kids."
Bummer.

I tried to play Laurel Springs once back in high school. This was in 1996 or so, and I think we had a 1994 PDGA course directory (the old fashioned paper version). We drove the hour to Laurel Springs and then spent half an hour wandering around trying to find the course. Eventually we stop at the general store and ask the people in there if they knew anything about it. "Oh yea, I always liked watching those guys throw those frisbee things. Well, they took it out last year, sorry kids."
Bummer.

My brother had a similar experience, but drove up the week after the baskets had been pulled.

Half of my favoritest courses ever are extinct, or nearly so.

Still Waters Farm in Govan, SC was an awesome 10,000 foot course, open and wooded and water and it changed my mind about USDGC-style rope, which I thought was heretical until I played it.

Gran Canyon in Brooksville, though a different version is now open as a temp course once a year. Same property, but not the original course.

Flyboy isn't really extinct, but it's almost impossible to play now.

And Hampton Park, an annual temporary course in Charleston, SC, for which there are rumors that it has seen it's last tournament.

That's 4 of my 6 all-time favorites. For which the lesson is, you don't want me to love your course too much.

Kandahar. Half way between Highland and Fenton MI. It was set on an old ski hill. Some developer bought it and wanted to put houses on it. RIP DG course.

Kandahar. Half way between Highland and Fenton MI. It was set on an old ski hill. Some developer bought it and wanted to put houses on it. RIP DG course.

Hmmmm.....as a Michigeezer, I have to admit, I never played this course. Might have been before my time.

Lost a couple gems this year. Belle Isle and Bonnie Brook, a real shame that Detroit disc golf is again on a shelf. Pease Park in Austin had a special vibe.

I only have about a dozen tombstones on my list, and about a third of those were old layouts that have a replacement. I honestly can't find a single course amongst them that was decent, much less a favorite.

What exactly is flyboy? Its so legendary it seems like a mythical creature

Wish I could have played Flyboy Aviation, or that someday I'll have the privilege on the rare occasion that it opens again for an 'invitational' (Hint to Kelly! ;)) I could probably set the record high score, but it'd be worth it!

Last edited:
What exactly is flyboy? Its so legendary it seems like a mythical creature

Even moreso to those of us who have been there.

Flyboy is a private course in fly-in community that was once open to the public, and at or near the top of the Top 10. Due to various incidents and circumstances, it's only available now when the host can open it up---perhaps a couple of times a year?---and only by invitation or connections.

I've played 3 extinct.

Hornet's Nest is the one I'm going to miss. How much will depend on the new layout once it's up....

Hmmmm.....as a Michigeezer, I have to admit, I never played this course. Might have been before my time.

Lost a couple gems this year. Belle Isle and Bonnie Brook, a real shame that Detroit disc golf is again on a shelf. Pease Park in Austin had a special vibe.

Not before your time. It went in sometime in the mid-nineties I think, and was only open for about a year. I believe that they had one PDGA there. Shame to hear about the Detroit courses. I moved from MI to FL in 1999.

What level of extinction are we talking about here? Are we talking courses that are actually no longer in the ground? Or just extinct old layouts like Bracketts, or courses that are "extinct" like no longer officially "listed" like Flyboy?