• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What kind of footwear should i wear in ice and snow?

KCPROROCQUE

Im not so much interested in gore tex or style of boot, but cleats vs. hiking shoes. Im sure cleats are more beneficial but will they cause me to loose footing on the cement tee pads? There is a tourney in Lewisville TX this weekend and we just got hit by a little bit of that storm that is beating up the northeast. Most of the cement has already melted but the grass will probably still be covered with ice/snow. Should I invest in some football cleats?

I wear boots and gaiters. But I play in real man snow.

Cleats will be useless in ice and snow. Just go with you have, watch your footing and stay dry.

OVERKILL

Cleats would be overkill. IMO Plus if they are like the ones I remember (w/replaceable cleats) they would be extremely slippery on concrete tees.

Stick with a light-weight boot.:thmbup:

I love these:
http://www.rei.com/product/774966

They're not so pointy, and they have a bit of give to them so teeing off from a non-concrete surface is unlikely to hurt it. I can walk on my carpet floor without tearing it up. I have no problem teeing off from concrete tees with them either.

we're talking TX here..... i would say stick with the merrels or other grippy soles. vibram, contragrip, etc.

you would be surprised. I put on my ice skates and skated in the street! we r getting more snow tonight. North Dallas

I'm in Ottawa so we get real winter. I play in goretex pants, gaiters, Columbia boots and these....which are so awesome

5017316t_v1_m56577569830990486.jpg

I play in Merrells with YakTrak brand shoe chains, they don't have spikes like the ones above, so they do a little better if the tees are clear, and still give great traction even on really smooth ice.