• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What should I stock my girlfriends bag with?

cocopop

Bogey Member
My girl has recently started golfing with me and she is starting to love the game. It has been about 5 years since I was a beginner so I have very few beginner friendly discs to give her. She has, of course, little power or control. She is naturally athletic and is very competetive.

I started her with mostly understable discs. Her bag currently consists of:

Drivers:
Champion Road Runner- She hates it! It is surprizingly overstable for her!
Eclipse- She kinda hates it! Overstable for her, but not as much as the RR?!

Mids:
Buzzz- This one seems to be her favorite. Flies pretty well for her, but she doesn't get any distance with it.
Stingray- The one she throws best, but it isn't a driver so she wants to only use it as a mid.
Impact- Her second favorite. If she doesn't know what to throw, this is the one she goes for.

Putters:
Soft Aviar- I am stuck on Aviars, so thats what she gets! She putts pretty well for a beginner so I don't think she needs anything here.
Magnet- Just a backup disc for her.

I want her to enjoy the game as much as I do, so I am taking her to the disc golf store nearby to pick out a few discs. I don't want her just to pick out "Pretty" discs that will just screw up her game, I want her to get a collection of discs that will improve her game, (Cuz lets face it, the more she likes to play, the less shit I'm gonna get for going myself!)

She's stubborn as a mule, so giving her advice on her form or technique is just not gonna happen!

Anyone been through this? Any suggestions?

I think it's Quest that makes drivers in the 120 - 140g weight class. My friend Andi is pro and she uses these. These maybenefecial is she doesn't have a lot of arm strength built up yet.

Gateway has ultralight stuff also, my wife, daughter & little sister all throw their stuff & love it. As far as advice & form, etc have her watch the Discraft pro clinic videos.. better yet have another female suggest them to her lol.

Right! I forgot about ultralight discs. Gateway has alot of ultralight stuff. I'm not too familiar with their stuff, what would be a good beginner driver for her from gateway?

Thanx for the reply guys.

Don't mattter what disc you put in there if you stick a necklace or a ring in the bottom of the bag.

Back on track, how bout a nice light SS Avenger?

I have a whole set of Ultralights made by Quest. They range from 120g-140g.
So far I have seen a Raging Inferno DT, Inferno, TBone, Rock-It, Backbone, and a Wildfire in the Ultralights. Mine are made out of the cool Nike plastic. I throw and Ultralight Inferno sometimes when my arm is worn out!!!

My wife likes the Ultralight Inferno- it is superlight, very understable, and has a lot of glide. She also throws a 150g Leopard, a 150g Roc, and an JK Pro Aviar-x Putter (got a girl's name on it, adds to the cool factor!!!)

I bought my girlfriend a beast, leopard and shark that were 145 and under...she put another 50' on her toss from the start. It's made my rounds much easier. Much less waiting throw to throw, since there are less throws. For the record I can throw her 145 Beast farther than I can throw my 167 beast....it now stays in the car.

I love the Gazelle!! Actually, I don't use anything else anymore. My putter is a Polecat but I rarely ever use that. When I was just getting started, it was too much info for me to remember over stablity, under and all that plus being a female, I really had to concentrate on my power.

We probably don't want to see what Sidewinding has to say! ;-)

Anyway, based upon a lot of what I've read in many forums here it would probably be a good idea to keep it simple. I tried a lot of discs right away when I started playing and found the most improvement happened when I decided to practice with just a couple molds.

A lot of posts have said just to learn to throw an approach/putter before even considering moving on to mid-ranges and drivers. So to that end, my wife is starting with a 150g DX Aero from Innova and my 4, soon to be 5, year old daughter has a 110g Polecat from their EDGE series of discs.

But if you need to go to a driver, I've read a lot of good things about the Arch Angel for a good learning driver.

I wish you and your lady all of the best. It's a great sport to play as a family.

Last edited:
Gazelle.

Period.

I've seen this disc change the game of so many women for the better that I'm sold. It is simply the best disc I could possibly recommend.

Repeat: Get her a Gazelle.

Gazelle.

Period.

I've seen this disc change the game of so many women for the better that I'm sold. It is simply the best disc I could possibly recommend.

Repeat: Get her a Gazelle.

Is this a guarantee? thats expecting an awful lot from a disc ...

Discflinger? The question is pending: what should he stock his gf's bag with? Thought you would have weighed in on this one by now...

My wife throws a Monarch and a Cheetah pretty well. Your girlfriend may like those. She's thrown the Gazelle too, but it doesn't fly as well for her as the Cheetah.

I know a bunch of other people wanted to say it but didn't have the guts or balls . . . but to answer your question . . . "a sixpack of beers". I got you covered Geoffro and discflinger.

I am just kidding anyways, but I do know someone wanted to say it.

I picked the sport up with my wife 3 weeks ago, I hope she can get into it enough to where we can go out and play together. I might take myself to some of the tougher courses and only take her to the ones without forced carries like water and such, but I do hope to be able to play along side of her. If I can get her interested there will never be a vacation that doesn't involve bringing at least a couple of our discs. If not, I might be hard pressed to get much disc golf in on our winter vacations.

My wife is not very athletic nor competitive, but I bought her the three pack from Sportsauthority and it came with a Aviar P & A, Shark, and a Leopard.

I have personally found the stingray to be an easy disc to throw also. As she get sbetter you might want to add in some discs that have a nice overstability to them to make it easier for those right to left holes.

i traded for a 145 teebird for my girlfriend not to long ago and its now her go to driver. took alot of plastic to get her bag the way she likes it though. jsut dont let ehr talk you into trading to many of yours for new plastic for her. lets just say my collection is alot lighter than it used to be before the lady friend started playing

What weight is the roadrunner that you let her use?..I'm surprised it's overstable unless it's a heavier weight. Whatever you get her, make sure it's around the 150 weight class. Leopard,chetah,gazelle maybe even a sidewinder would be good for a driver. Cobra,shark for mid, again lightest you can find. A kite also would not be bad, fairly understable with a lot of glide.

Latest posts