• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What should I use?

cacriswell2

Par Member
I have a dx dart and an r pro aviar and i just can not put consistently with either one. Currently I have been using my 180 buzz to put with and have been doing a lot better on putting. What putter do you think I should get?

What happens when you miss? More practice? Do you like the shape of the aviar? does it "feel good in your hand"? How long have you been playing?
Most putters act very similar inside of 30 feet so it's really about what "feels better" for you.

Putters I like:
Challenger
MagneTT
KC Aviar
Aviar P+A
Pure

Stop putting with your buzz now before you build any bad habbits. I can list 1,000 reasons you shouldn't putt with a midrange.

I have been playing for about 6 months and my buzz just feels the best in my hand compared to those other two discs. I would like to find a putter that felt more like it. Thanks for the help

"felt" like a Buzzz in what respect?
low profile?
wide diameter?

if low profile I think there are a few
some that come to mind would be the Vibram Ridge and the Discraft Ringer

JR said:
For even lower profile than those Innova XD and Latitude64 Spike or the little higher Pure.

if you're looking for low profile, these mentioned above are good, as well as the Vibram Summit.

If it works for you, by all means keep at it. You might think otherwise in the future, but putt/throw with whatever feels comfortable for you.

listen to mr booter's sarcasm and not homebrew's positive reinforcement. unless you plan on never ever missing, don't putt with your buzz

I play on a short course where when I use my Buzz, so it's often close enough to putt with it so I do occasionally. You should use whatever you want to putt with as it's your game, but the problem with a Buzz that I see (mine's Z plastic) is that it doesn't fall flat like a stable putter and is thin/slick enough to slip off the chains easier.

I personally really like the Gateway Wizard, but that's really nothing like a wide low profile putter. There's a Discraft putter out there, maybe it's retired, but a friend of mine has it (thought it was the Zone which I guess is still in production) that felt almost exactly like a Buzz to me. So really I'm sure many people have the same preference.

caleb91 said:
So putting with my buzz is really bad for me? And yes I like the big dimeter and low profile

If you want to putt in all kinds of weather and wind with just one disc and across your career a Buzzz will exhibit a lot of bad tendencies later on. I'd say that i've not had enough arm straightening speed and wrist power before this summer to get putters out far enough. So i jump putted and long putted without jumping with 150 class mids to make up for the lack of power. I just couldn't get putters out to say 100' with accuracy because i was too close to my power generation limit to have any repeatability with a laser putt thrown high to compensate for gravity drop.

Things are different now with better arm power. And there are techniques that increase putting power. Look at Nikko Locastro putting. Knee and waist bend to weight shift forward and getting the disc farther back and firing everything forward and up increases putting distance quite nicely. If you add wrist snap and finger spring you'll add even more. But do that with a Buzzz at longer distances and it will start to drift left with the fade and if there's wind it will change the height and sideways placement of the Buzzz more than a putter that isn't flipped or lifted by the wind. Blow by distances can easily get painful with Buzzzes because they already are with longer putters. Which is a positive problem really. Putters just aren't as touchy about overpowering and that will become a problem later on if you really practice form and power generation.

With those disclaimers i've putted ok with Rocs and Buzzzes and know people that are ok putters with those. I know a good putter that uses Roadrunners and Beasts depending on the wind. From zero wind to howling winds. The only time he uses putters is to throw nose up slowing down throws that need to drop by the basket if they miss because there's a steep drop behind the basket. Or he's in a rut with the driver putting (rare these days). I've witnessed several no miss when putting at any distance rounds from him. They've included over 40' putts. He's forced to throw highish flattish to hyzer stalls to limit blow by distance. He has a good power control. So anything can be learned because he does this by the seaside and we have a lot of wind. The thing is that he suffers more from the higher winds than putter putters. Except when the winds get so ridiculous that the wind overpowers even the beefiest putters. Yes it has happened although i haven't yet tried a Zone in those howlers. Even Gators can't handle all the conditions we have here so i have used drivers to counter the wind but they have a higher risk factor than regular putters thrown upside down.

OK Thank you. So i was looking at putters online and the XD and classic roc looked good for low profile big diameter. Anyone have experience with these discs or any others you would recommend?

Both are good the Roc will fade more and not blow by as far because it is also slower thanks to the bead. Pure and Spike are low and fast as well that means that they will also blow by far like floaty discs that miss brakes do. That is Ion. Floaty disc with brakes is called a Rattler. Ions and Rattlers are tall.

If you are putting with a buzzz blow bys are probably common. an XD will not blow by worse than a buzzz.

Blow bys are also more based on form and how hard you putt. A stable disc tends to bounce and skip more than a less stable disc after it hyzers.

Ion is not low or high profile. The rattler is pretty high. The ion seems shallower than a Wizard or beaded aviar.

Relative to Buzzz, XD, Spike and Pure Ion is tall and so are the other discs you mentioned. The OP mentioned his affinity for shallow discs. Rattler is ginormous for those liking shallow discs.

The Aero could be a good disc for you, its very wide, not too deep and will fly more like a putter than a buzz and get you accustomed to how a putter feels and maybe after awhile you will make the transition to a putter

XD feels almost exactly like a mid range. Won this Disc at a tourney and never used it just because it didn't have the recognizable name but this disc is so easy to release out of my hand. Great, great approach disc also. Highly suggest it.

nthomas said:
XD feels almost exactly like a mid range. Won this Disc at a tourney and never used it just because it didn't have the recognizable name but this disc is so easy to release out of my hand. Great, great approach disc also. Highly suggest it.

+1