• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] What to step up to?

Hitting those distances with those discs, you should be able to throw pretty much whatever. BUT if you aren't used to the bigger rims a thunderbird is a good stepping stone on the way to faster discs.

Also, I expect your just not used to the wraiths rim and it's throwing off your follow thru if it's that beefy. If I'm wrong, hold onto that thing. I havnt been able to find a star wraith with any good over stability in awhile.

Honestly I have to say you got this one right. I took out my Wraith and DDX earlier and the rim just doesn't feel right. I'm definitely not use to a wider rim. I think I'm going to try a Pro Thunderbird and work my way up.

I assume you're hyzer-flipping the Leopard? I'd try a Saint or a Northman next, or maybe a Champ Roadrunner.

You may benefit from a high speed driver (12+), but you seem to have a good thing going with your form. I suggest continuing to step up the speed gradually.

I cycle Pro Leopards, but bag a Star to beat in and stay that way for a while. The one I mainly use right now hyzerflips flat then gradually turns and comes back a little. Although I did notice more turn out of it today, but that's probably from the trees I was hitting. Couldn't seem to catch a break today :(

Honestly I have to say you got this one right. I took out my Wraith and DDX earlier and the rim just doesn't feel right. I'm definitely not use to a wider rim. I think I'm going to try a Pro Thunderbird and work my way up.

Keep throwing the wide rims a bunch in the field. They won't feel normal for a while, but the nice thing is that throwing them more makes the speed 9/10 stuff almost feel like a fairway driver. Then eventually you'll be able to throw the 12's without thinking about it. The worst part about learning to throw high speed stuff is that "I need to crush this disc" feeling. The more you throw them, you'll just realize your normal throw power is enough to get them to do their thing.

I cycle Pro Leopards, but bag a Star to beat in and stay that way for a while. The one I mainly use right now hyzerflips flat then gradually turns and comes back a little. Although I did notice more turn out of it today, but that's probably from the trees I was hitting. Couldn't seem to catch a break today :(

Oh man, I had one of those rounds this weekend. :wall: I gave up after 15 holes and did field work. especially frustrating because last time I was able to play (last time it wasnt pouring rain...) I was hitting my max distance RHBH and I figured out how to forehand to 350, which was a big gain for me in distance and control. This weekend? a lot of plastic hitting trees, bad wind reads, slippery pads, and just couldnt get firing on all cylinders until I was well into the fieldwork..

As for next disc.. flipping a seasoned pro leopard to 375 is a different kind of throw than throwing a Trespass flat. If you want to hyzerflip something, you gotta look at very understable discs with as clean as your form is. You're looking at Star Terns and Mambas I think.

If you're used to throwing flat and hard, or you want to try it, then I think a lot of these high speed driver suggestions might work for you - Trespass, Sorcerer, Champ Tern, Destiny, DDX...

Hope your next round is better!

I crossed paths with an open level player this week and talked discs a bunch while playing. I was saying how I like how my DDx and Wraith fly but I struggle to consistently get them any farther than my FD. He handed me a Star TD (10/6/-2/1) and recommended trying one out, said it can crush nearly as far as those two discs but the rim is significantly easier to grip. I just ordered one to give it a shot.

Last edited:
If you're wanting discraft you might try an undertaker or a surge. Surge is a bit wider rim but not real wide like the warpspeeders. You're going to have to get used to a slightly wider rim if you want fast. Faster isn't always better.

If you want to keep fairly small rim leopard>>>tl>>>teebird>>>>thunderbird/pd

Innova laid out the progression pretty well. Valk>>>beast>>>orc>>>wraith>>>destroyer. You don't see many pros goin past the destroyer for a boss, etc.

If you're wanting discraft you might try an undertaker or a surge. Surge is a bit wider rim but not real wide like the warpspeeders. You're going to have to get used to a slightly wider rim if you want fast. Faster isn't always better.

If you want to keep fairly small rim leopard>>>tl>>>teebird>>>>thunderbird/pd

Innova laid out the progression pretty well. Valk>>>beast>>>orc>>>wraith>>>destroyer. You don't see many pros goin past the destroyer for a boss, etc.

Yep, yep...and Destroyers are more reliable "stable" than the Boss too.