• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What was your latest breakthrough?

Monkeypaws

* Ace Member *
Premium Member
I 've had a rough patch with mids: kept pulling them to the left (LHBH).

Took a selection of neutral kids out to the soccer field (Core, Warship, Buzzz, Compass). Kept working on it until I hit the problem: releasing too low was leading to rounding. A higher release line had me throwing longer and straighter.

Been a while since I found a thing to improve and successfully nail it down.

Anybody else?

Moving the hips over one leg to the other is weight transfer!

SlowPlastic's insight helped me figure that out.

Moving the hips over one leg to the other is weight transfer!

SlowPlastic's insight helped me figure that out.

Hmm, I kind of understand what you mean, but not really. Care to elaborate?

My latest was realizing I was not pulling the disc correctly. Watching some vids of the water bottle drill really helped. Actually added about 20ft to my drives. I've also had a lot of recent breakthroughs thanks to sidewinder. I only throw stand stills, and all of his drills really showed me where I was lacking. Basically I was mimicking a clubbed golf swing too closely. He was able to help my reach back, hit and weight shift. Overall he's added about 50' to my drives along with added accuracy

I was struggling with the hyzer flip shot and setting up what I thought was a hyzer angle only to have released dead straight or on an anhyzer line. Blew my mind trying to figure it out. Then I saw a tip on a video where I should bend at the waist slightly to create a hyzer line. Tried that but quite a bit excessively, to the point it looked like I was trying to throw a spike hyzer and was very uncomfortable. Posted a thread here and slowplastic responded with a tip to make sure my wrist is lined up with a straight shot, don't bend it or twist it or try to alter your full swing, simply bend slightly and practice your way slowly into getting the right angle for every disc. Focusing on my reach back an follow through making sure my wrist never moved through the entire swing. Increased my longest throw distance by 30'

More pronounced turn away helped me get more distance and hit my lines more consistently. Thinking of it as a turn of my upper body vice a reachback helps too. I had this down before and then lost it. Now I've got it back again.

Hmm, I kind of understand what you mean, but not really. Care to elaborate?

I'll quote from how Slow Plastic explained it to me cause it helped me understand. Once in the field of course.

The way it felt for me when it changed, is that you are leveraging your WEIGHT forward, not pushing a rotation.

It felt to me like I was moving my lower spine onto my plant leg. If your spine is straight/balanced, move your lower spine or middle of pelvis onto the plant leg. This will move everything above it in balance as well. Spine can be tilted of course, but no hunch.

If you leverage your spine in balance, there will be some mass on either side of it to both rotate and counter the throw. If you are just thinking about hip rotation, you are likely pushing your back hip around your plant leg.

Do you think about what leg muscles you use while walking? That is about moving your body mass forward. In a throw I kind of feel my whole back leg through thigh and calf, but I focus on leaving off the rear instep. Don't think about toe push or rotation or anything, think about move the spine/mass to the front leg.

I have not made any improvements in the last 5 years so I am trying to rebuild starting with the one leg drill. I *think* I'm actually doing it right now. Two findings so far:
1. Not only should your off-foot have minimal weight on it, it should also not help in the lateral/shear direction. Put a slick disc upside down under your off foot to try and help prevent this. I found myself not moving my hips correctly because my off-foot was sticking during the back swing.
2. The power in my throw is proportional to the relative twist between my shoulders and my hips. If I were to draw a straight line horizontally through my shoulders and another line through my hips, I want to maximize the angle between these two lines in my back swing using the inertia of the arm/disc. Note: I think the planes that each of these lines draw during a throw should also be parallel. In other threads, I've seen this be called "stacked" and "being vertical" but it's clicked with me now.

References that have helped me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CSHqnYNijw&index=12&list=PLPZT3MjhbXvyZdMGfwtRLoBDsPMoeqcoZ&t=0s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLmSZ_Fqgsc&t=2s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LffYBb1vQjQ&t=0s&list=PLPZT3MjhbXvyZdMGfwtRLoBDsPMoeqcoZ&index=5

2y0cL1.gif

How good down swing is:

1. Makes timing easier
2. Adds power
3. Makes you rich???

About a year into dg, I just played even par across all 18 holes for the first time yesterday. Nailing down consistency has been an ongoing issue for me, but yesterday I stayed clean with very few exceptions. Felt awesome!

My latest breakthrough was switching to Swedish style a la Feldberg.

Pros:
• Simpler timing
• Easier to keep weight back
• Better, cleaner hyzers
• Added significantly more distance
• Easier standstill
• Much less early and late releases
• ZERO elbow tendinitis pain

Cons:
• Non-hyzers are less intuitive.
• Slightly more likely to throw worm burners/noob hyzers
• Un-American

Ive recently added about 20-40 feet to my drives off the tee going from about 350-360 to 380-400. It was all in my footwork and reach back. Now working on acceleration is helping distance as well. There's always something to learn in this game it's the best

I learned how to forehand. I have always been a BH thrower and the last few years been working on a forehand (with the help of RUSSELL) and it has been working for me better and better. Only for approach shots or very short shots off the tee right now but they're starting to work.

My latest breakthrough was switching to Swedish style a la Feldberg.

Pros:
• Simpler timing
• Easier to keep weight back
• Better, cleaner hyzers
• Added significantly more distance
• Easier standstill
• Much less early and late releases
• ZERO elbow tendinitis pain

Cons:
• Non-hyzers are less intuitive.
• Slightly more likely to throw worm burners/noob hyzers
• Un-American

-Been doing it for years, throw less non-hyzers. Occasional intentional torque and/or more understable are your friends here. Same with some added nose down depending. Play with it a little..

-The more you get used to it I'm sure you'll drop the hyzerburners.

-Liberate Sweden of their style with your 'Murcan plastic:thmbup:

???

Profit

I learned how to forehand. I have always been a BH thrower and the last few years been working on a forehand (with the help of RUSSELL) and it has been working for me better and better. Only for approach shots or very short shots off the tee right now but they're starting to work.

I wanna see a Jay Dub FH. I bet it's silky smooth.

My latest breakthrough came with some coaching from my buddy Tom. It was a form issue (specifically footwork) I was rounding because of my footing. Now I am staggering my plant foot farther and its helping me keep the disc on that straight line. Thanks Tom!

My breakthrough some might call a regression but I've gone to stand and deliver for almost every shot. I've gained distance and accuracy by just concentrating on the correct weight shift, keeping the disc on a straight line, and smooth late acceleration.

My plan was to eventually add the x step back once I got the timing right on the standstill. But I realized I could generate enough distance to be competitive on most of the courses that I play without having to do a run up. There are so many advantages...one being wet or slippery tee pads don't matter much to me any more.

I suppose I could get 25 more feet of distance with a clean run up but most of the time it's not worth adding all the variables that a run up causes.
I watch so many people with funky run ups not putting themselves anywhere near proper throwing position. I really think the average golfer would be better off skipping all of this and just concentrate on throwing the disc cleanly.

Latest posts