• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] What weight Lace?

punch

Bogey Member
I been waiting to try a lace but was looking for advice on weight. I throw around 350 to 375 with an 168g eagle. Most of my drivers are around that weight. I am looking for a stable long range. Should I stick to the high 160s with the lace or get it a little heavier?

I would say get the weight that you are most comfortable with. I throw max weight but have thrown several 164g laces and they are still stable.

I have a 159 medium Lace, and it throws the same brand new as my other brand new Lace, which is maximum weight... not sure how the two will beat-in differently. Laces will beat-in to flippy, depending on how you throw it. You should be throwing, at least, 300'-350' consistently. Otherwise, expect healthy fades on your throws... the Lace is addicting, because of the speed/distance factor, but it also tends to be inconsistent for newer players who have trouble throwing it at the right speed and for more experienced players who would like something more overstable.

I've had a different experience with the Lace than TYR. For me, they vary a lot in flight depending on their weight, new or used.

If you're truly throwing an Eagle 350'-375' and you want the Lace to fly stable, go with max weight. I throw fairways more like 335'-350' and max weight Laces fly stable for me out to 350'-375'. I use those for headwinds or straight to fade shots, and use 166s for true distance (which I push out to 380'-400'). The 166s have a lot of turn for me, new or worn, although it's well controllable. The noticeably lighter Laces I've thrown have all be too flippy for me to be of much use at my distance.

If you're worried about it being too stable, I suggest you try a Firm since those will wear quicker. My Medium max weights take about a year of regular use to start showing real changes in flight pattern.

Right around 170g should be fine, but you'll certainly be able to throw a max weight fine if you want a few more grams of predictability in the wind.