• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Midrange Assistance

mattw

Double Eagle Member
A few years ago I was in a bad car accident and things didn't heal up the best. Mainly it effects my hip turn and upper back and shoulders. I am trying to pick up the game again. But my driver distance is the same as my mid distance. The mids are physically easier on my body to throw. I use the Comet and Roc3. Topping out around 275. I don't mind setting drivers aside. I played a mid putter round the other day and felt physically better then when I try and push myself with drivers. Since I have been out of it for so long I am looking to try some mid options that might be a little faster almost driver like with a mid feel. Current drivers are Heat and Eagle. Looking to compliment the comet and roc not replace them. Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Hex should be your friend, 5 speed and goes far. Some lighter weight options in fission if that's your thing. Faster and a bit more stable than a Comet, I bag both.

i throw wasp and buzz which are faster mids that get close to fairway driver distance

i dont bag speed 7 because of this

i go my mids up to speed 9s with sidewinders and others

Honorable mention to a mold like the Millenium JLS. It's (nowadays) a slow fairway but they power down easy, get solid distance, and don't truly feel like a driver.

Stick to Comet/Roc if all you're going to throw is mids, maybe something rather overstable like the DGA Quake for niche shots as well otherwise you're already covered.

Honorable mention to a mold like the Millenium JLS. It's (nowadays) a slow fairway but they power down easy, get solid distance, and don't truly feel like a driver.

Stick to Comet/Roc if all you're going to throw is mids, maybe something rather overstable like the DGA Quake for niche shots as well otherwise you're already covered.

This!!!

Also the Leopard would work well if the JLS isn't available, and both are available in 150ish weights in premium plastic.

I think the standard DD Truth (not Emac) is one of faster mids and not too OS. Personally I felt it flew more like a fairway driver so I moved on, but if you're looking for that long range mid then my vote goes to Truth.

I will shamelessly plug mids from my company bc they are a nice fit for what you already carry.

The Reptilian Disc Golf duo of mids share the same core and wing so they feel nearly identical in the hand. That said, you have two very unique flights.

The Gila is an awesome blend of stability and glide. Very much like a (If I do say so myself) better Verdict/Roc3 flight. They're OS enough to rip on but they have great glide and can encroach on fairway driver distance due to glide and increased confidence. It was designed to mimic old school Sentinels which were great fast, OS Roc compliments. Flight #'s: 5, 4, 0, 2.5

The Iguana is basically a modern day Comet with a bit more stability throughout. Still sleek and streamlined like a Gila, but with a slightly understable flight capable of a ton of lines.
Flight Numbers: 5, 5, - 1, 1.5

Both feature big beads and just jive so perfectly.

I'm not kidding when I say that I no longer reach for any other mids. These two molds make up 50%+ of my overall shots bc of reliability and confidence in throwing then for 200-300 ft shots.

I'll attach a Pic of the wings so you can seem their beautiful profiles

Attachments

• 20230115_125418.jpg
    20230115_125418.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 21
Since you're using a roc3, a rocx3 would give you more stability and baout the same distance without having to throw hard. You might look into slower 150 class drivers. When I hurt my back a few years ago I got into lighter discs. They take less effort to get up to speed. The above mentioned jls, polaris ls, leopard, relay, and crave are all good options.

At the risk of being the that's not what he asked for guy, the Axiom Crave is the most mid-adjacent fairway I know. Doesn't require any more power to spin up and will carry like the proverbial mother.

For a true mid, massive fan of the Fission Hex and the Prodigy M4.

DGA Rift can get sneaky long distances. It's pretty similar to a Buzzz in the same way an Eagle is similar to a Teebird - just a bit more turn and a bit more fade. It would slot nicely between your Comet and Roc3 too.

Tursas is good option if you want something a bit faster and flippier than a Comet. I've been liking the Sol a lot lately too but it's more of a Tweener kinda disc. Sort of the anti-zone if you will

At the risk of being the that's not what he asked for guy, the Axiom Crave is the most mid-adjacent fairway I know. Doesn't require any more power to spin up and will carry like the proverbial mother.

For a true mid, massive fan of the Fission Hex and the Prodigy M4.

I second the crave as a mid adjacent fairway driver. Even if you aren't throwing it further, you get more skip. The mvp servo is almost exactly the same but a bit more stable.

The kataplast kaxe is a great slightly faster mid. It isn't as overstable as the numbers suggest. If I want a mid to go 300 with a reliable fade, soft landing and Lazer beam straight for the majority of the flight, I go for my kaxe.

Millennium JLS in the Millennium/Base plastic, and I'd say in the 165-170g range. Easy power, flip, versatility, and has a "6" speed rim but a fairway driver profile. It should be a good compliment to the Roc3 in covering different shots and going further.

To directly answer the question of finding a mid that can be thrown like a fairway:

Buzzz
Pathfinder
Hex
Origin
Berry
Lion
Kaxe and KaxeZ
Compass
Claymore
Truth/Emac Truth
Warship
Iguana
Gila
Jay
Texas Ranger
Alias (oop, but if you can find them, they're really underrated molds)
Axis (also oop, but still really underrated)
Mana (a bit more US/straighter)
MD3
M3/M2
Mustang
Echo

I'm probably missing some, but these are all the ones that come to mind. There's no shortage. I think anyone of these would compliment a Roc/Comet combo very well. I have a Roc3 and 3 Rocs for my mids, and for a while I had a Pathfinder to compliment them when I needed a specific line. Since working with Rocs more, I don't have as much of a need for the Pathfinder "mid-I-can-throw-like-a-fairway" shot since a controlled Roc shot can go a mile. But here's a list of about 20 molds that should get you started.

A few years ago I was in a bad car accident and things didn't heal up the best. Mainly it effects my hip turn and upper back and shoulders. I am trying to pick up the game again. But my driver distance is the same as my mid distance. The mids are physically easier on my body to throw. I use the Comet and Roc3. Topping out around 275. I don't mind setting drivers aside. I played a mid putter round the other day and felt physically better then when I try and push myself with drivers. Since I have been out of it for so long I am looking to try some mid options that might be a little faster almost driver like with a mid feel. Current drivers are Heat and Eagle. Looking to compliment the comet and roc not replace them. Thank you in advance for any feedback.
You've had a lot of good recommendations already but...
I really like the flight of Warships but they just carried way to far.

I'm using my mid-range discs more and more also. Some of my favorites are the Mako3, SOL, Discmania MD1 or MD3. My main use of drivers now is just in calm winds only with a light weight River or Jade.

Latest posts