• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ArcheType's ITB

ArcheType

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Back after a long hiatus! I'm trying to phase out some of my older/rarer/OOP models and find similar discs that are easier to replace.

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: Played extensively ~2007-2012, now coming back after nearly 10 years of 1-2 rounds per year
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH, RHFH, some overhands
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver:
Putter: ~250' Mid: ~300' Driver: ~350'

* Max distance is the greatest distance you can throw your top 2-3 drivers with any regularity

Optional:
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: none to speak of
Other sport proficiencies?: Ultimate
Additional Information:
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: Hoping to find a good OS mid range to replace the hornet, eliminate/select from some of my comparable discs (below), and identify any major gaps in my bag

Bag:

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
175 S PD - max distance driver. Some FH use; wind shots
171 S Instinct - Very stable workhorse driver. Planning to beat this in and then bring in another 1-2 for stages of wear
171 S Essence - Line shaper; straight to right shots
171 Opto River - Kinda overlaps with the Essence, but a bit more glide and more flippy

Mids:
177 Hornet - overstable mid. Looking to replace with a disc still in circulation
Various Z Buzzz - 4 of these at different weights and wears. Covers my various straight to flippy options
177 ESP Meteor- hyzer flips, annys

Putters:
175 Opto Pure - throwing putter. Straight but a little understable
175 Atom (whatever the champ style plastic is called) - other throwing putter. More stable than the Pure. Not sure I need both.
175 S Voodoos - putting putters

Back after a long hiatus! I'm trying to phase out some of my older/rarer/OOP models and find similar discs that are easier to replace.

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: Played extensively ~2007-2012, now coming back after nearly 10 years of 1-2 rounds per year
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH, RHFH, some overhands
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver:
Putter: ~250' Mid: ~300' Driver: ~350'

* Max distance is the greatest distance you can throw your top 2-3 drivers with any regularity

Optional:
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: none to speak of
Other sport proficiencies?: Ultimate
Additional Information:
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: Hoping to find a good OS mid range to replace the hornet, eliminate/select from some of my comparable discs (below), and identify any major gaps in my bag

Bag:

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
175 S PD - max distance driver. Some FH use; wind shots
171 S Instinct - Very stable workhorse driver. Planning to beat this in and then bring in another 1-2 for stages of wear
171 S Essence - Line shaper; straight to right shots
171 Opto River - Kinda overlaps with the Essence, but a bit more glide and more flippy

Mids:
177 Hornet - overstable mid. Looking to replace with a disc still in circulation
Various Z Buzzz - 4 of these at different weights and wears. Covers my various straight to flippy options
177 ESP Meteor- hyzer flips, annys

Putters:
175 Opto Pure - throwing putter. Straight but a little understable
175 Atom (whatever the champ style plastic is called) - other throwing putter. More stable than the Pure. Not sure I need both.
175 S Voodoos - putting putters

Hornets are pretty great. I throw the Gila for that slot these days, similar speed, similar high speed stability but maybe a touch more bite. Beaded, but flat topped enough to be really comfy FH. The current Amber (premium translucent) run is slightly more domed than general, still comfy FH and a little more workable. Comparable to my usual yellow Z Hornet. If I were to carry just one Gila it would be one of these. I paired them with the Buzzz a while myself. 2 Gila 3 Buzzz was my mid set up for a good while.

They are fairly regularly available in both premium and base plastics and RDG seems to be ramping up production of their whole line lately.

If you want an OS mid that feels like a buzzz and flys similarish to a hornet the verdict is the disc. The problem is there is a bit of variance between plastics and runs.

I tried a lot for that slot before there were stable to os buzzz like recent TS and ESP ones. This is what I found then. The gila did not exist at the time, and I am sure I would have found it more OS than I wanted out of the box, similar to how I did the hornet.
The verdict I had for those tests was on the straighter out of the box side compared to recent years.

Latest posts