• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] What's going on with Gateway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
SSSS is not a new variant. It's just an easier way to tell they are on the softer side of SSS.

Just read on Gateway's Facebook page that there running SSSS Wizards. So I can't think there in that much trouble.

I don't think anyone is saying that Gateway is going to close their shop, rather they are losing ground in an increasingly competitive market. They were #3 for a long time, but if they don't change drastically I don't see them being in the top 10 dg manufacturers 5 years from now.

I think it is a pivotal time for Gateway no matter what. Here's my advice for their survival in this market.
Specialize...
For too long Gateway has been trying to compete with Innova/Discraft in making a whole line of discs. They've spent a long of money and don't consistently pump out a product (in terms of mids/drivers) that can compete with the market in terms of look, feel, flight, and consistency. They should drop most their line and focus on baseline putters. Do some small and really nice runs of Demons, Blazes, Spirits, and perhaps Slayers to keep their following happy and perhaps maintain a sponsored competitive team. Drop the bags as well. Putters, those couple of G classics, and stash minis...Gateway should be like a microbrew.
Focus on customer service
This is one way a small company can take business away from the big guys. I don't think Dave is a bad guy, he must just overextend himself and ends up scrambling and looking bad. Perhaps he is too optimistic when making initial transactions. Whatever it is, it needs to be shored up...There are way too many negative stories floating around out there already.

I'm just an idiot with a keyboard, but hey, isn't that what the internet is for?

I just learned that Dave is dealing with a death in the family, so I'm going to let this thread rest.

Good to know. I was going to email/call them today. I'll put the brakes on it for another week.

Its not an indicator of trouble if your able to produce a new variant of one of your popular staple product.

A. Theyre a disc making company , so its not out of the ordinary to makes discs

B. litterally everything they do is a variant so also not new

Where is the love for the magic lol

Gateway has been around long enough to have been give a "chance" to get it right. While there a few who swear by their mids and drivers, they are never going to be enough to keep Gateway a float. Every single season the other manufacturers come out with something new that further pushes Gateway further back in the store. Right now they sit by Ching and QuestAT and the majority of their sales come from wholesale.

The failure of the Ninja is the most glaring example that they cannot compete in the driver market. It had the initial bump of curiousity but now they just sit there while the Katanas and Nukes which came out at the same time keep getting sold.

Their saving grace are the Wizards, that they come in multiple grades of softness, and that for such a sought after disc are incredibly reasonably priced. Even their gimmicy discs like the Organics are on par price-wise with Innova and Discraft.

As for personal experience, three years ago we went with Gateway to get league putters. They were incredibly reasonably priced and we knew that their putters would be used. People loved they could afford to buy multiple putters with our logo on it and in different molds such as the Voodoo, Wizard, and Warlock. Everything looked to be going smoothly, at least until our deadline for our league date approached. Because of my work and family life, I have a very tight window in which I can be reached during business hours. Emails took days to be responded to and it became unclear why I was being charged a little more than what I was quoted earlier when I actually talked to them on the phone. We were a smaller order, but on the phone he treated me like a top-notch customer, especially when I mentioned that there is a possibility that we would place another order if our league grew. It was also unclear what needed to be done with the artwork we submitted. I assumed one thing based upon our communication through email, and what I assumed was wrong and supposedly delayed the order. It took someone else within the league to make a daytime call to the plant, someone else who is not as "understanding" as I am to finally get results.

The final product was a mixture of colors instead of the initially requested all black with gold stamp. That was disappointing. We did get all the softness of the molds requested and when everything seemed to be finally going forward at the last second, they did make the deadline. While again we were disappointed that they were not all the same color, we did get to see what our logo looked like in different color schemes. I did like the black stamp on red. So, long story shortened, I would have reservations about going back to them about league putters, but I would go back to them because of their putters. I would just make sure that communication was as clear as possible.

What no magic love? I think all Gateway putters are the shiznit. Putters are what keep them in the game.

Love their putters, hate their service. I picked up some anodes and a couple soft focus. Hopefully I can quit the wizard cold turkey.

Ordered 5 Wizards and 1 Samurai from them last week and they arrived today, no problem.

As long as they keep making Wizards I'll be happy.

Gateway direct store on eBay is great. I always have gotten top notch service from them. Quick message responses. I just bought a couple Wizards and asked if they would throw in a mini, which they usually always do. Got a response within an hour. They are sending a few minis my way plus an extra disc. Can't beat that.

Gateway direct store on eBay is great. I always have gotten top notch service from them. Quick message responses. I just bought a couple Wizards and asked if they would throw in a mini, which they usually always do. Got a response within an hour. They are sending a few minis my way plus an extra disc. Can't beat that.

Wish I had the same luck. 2 1/2 weeks and still haven't shipped. I shot them a message this morning, no response thus far. Second time this has happened. 1st time took over a month. Sucks because I love their discs.

Wish I had the same luck. 2 1/2 weeks and still haven't shipped. I shot them a message this morning, no response thus far. Second time this has happened. 1st time took over a month. Sucks because I love their discs.

Maybe you're going into their spam filter or something..
That doesn't sound like Dave Mac to me. Any time I've emailed or called him, he's always answered withing a day.

Maybe you're going into their spam filter or something..
That doesn't sound like Dave Mac to me. Any time I've emailed or called him, he's always answered withing a day.

I just hit the contact seller button in eBay. Should get to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts