• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Whats the best job for a Disc Golfer

I work with individuals who are MR and other various Mental Disabilities. And I'm constantly taking them along to go Disc Golfing. My friends make fun of me all the time because they say Disc Golf is basically my job.

My guys love road trips and I have really no limit as to how far I can take them, so I'm always hitting up new courses. I got to spend a week up in Highbridge last year just playing Disc Golf. The best part of it is my bosses think the world of me and encourage me to get those guys out and getting involved in activitys.

The bad part is the pay, it sucks. But I'm single and can pull in just about as much OT as I can handle. But sadly if I ever have a family I may have to rethink my work life

wow tons of awesome responses here, thanks gents

So for today, I'll be rewriting my resume to sound way less professional, and I'm going to be looking for a hosting/waiting/bartending job. Gotta make some skrilla and order up a CFR TeeDevil :D

Also, I was considering studying up and passing the CBEST exam, so that I can substitute teach. That would get my foot in the door for a potential PE teacher gig, amirite?

I can tell you one that's not necessarily great for disc golf. Being a restaurant manager.
I work a lot of hours, most weekends, and have varying schedules each week. I usually have the time to golf each week, but the consistency makes it difficult. I have to miss a lot of tournaments, can't run a weekly league, and get more golf some weeks than others.

I'm an ICU nurse...work 3 12's a week and off 4. I only have to work 2 weekend shifts a month. Money is good. I can schedule myself up to 8 days off in a row without taking any vacation, and I get a months worth of vacation a year.
The only drawback is I have to clean up crap and deal with crazy patients and families all day.

id skip the family part, but my lady is on the way to her PhD, so I'm happy to tough it out for a couple more years until the gravy train leaves the station :D she says I can be a touring pro once shes got her lexus IS haha.

I'm a tax accountant and it works pretty nicely for disc golfing. I'm within a mile of a course so I've been going there over lunch 2-3 times a week... As an added bonus I haven't worked any overtime or weekends so there's all that time for disc golfing as well.

Over the summer I worked as a summer camp counselor. I have lots of hobbies so I'm in charge of developing new activities for our program each year. This year I ordered a couple portable baskets and a box full of DX discs, and we taught the kids to play disc golf. I got 2-3 mini rounds each week on courses that I could design, and since most of the holes were in the 80-200ft range, my approach/putting got a lot better. Wish I could do it year round :(

I'm an ICU nurse...work 3 12's a week and off 4. I only have to work 2 weekend shifts a month. Money is good. I can schedule myself up to 8 days off in a row without taking any vacation, and I get a months worth of vacation a year.
The only drawback is I have to clean up crap and deal with crazy patients and families all day.

When I was a nurse working four 12 hour days in a row and getting 10 off, my disc game was off the hook. Now that I am behind a desk 8-4 5 days a week it is slipping

When I started reading this thread, this is what I thought of. Nuclear power plant operators also work on a similar schedule....although they rotate night and day shifts every few months - tough on the body. They will train anyone.....I am not talking about nuclear physicists.

In my previous job in industrial sales in NC I did whatever I wanted whenever I wanted and traveled around the Carolinas and eTN. As long as I got my stuff done (and customers were buying) no-one cared what I did when. And I worked from my home office. Now I am more into the management side of things and flexibility is tougher - although if I am out of town, I hit up a course at 4pm for a couple of rounds and drive back in the dark.

Somebody ask Martin Dewgartia. 511 courses in 1.9 years? Whatever he does is clearly the best job for a disc golfer.

Get ajob that ya work evenings or over nite. I work 5pm-1am or 1am-9am. I'll either get a mid-day round and home by 3 or mornings after I get off work at 9. Works pretty well

not necissarily easy but if you can find yourself a good job at an airline, a fiend of mine's mom works for delta (not sure exactly what) and works normal hours while in town, gets to travel for work and gets free tickets for herself and family. great way to play some great courses

Somebody ask Martin Dewgartia. 511 courses in 1.9 years? Whatever he does is clearly the best job for a disc golfer.

Its not the job, its the lifestyle. I work in experiential education, basically I take students into the wilderness and help them learn life skills through experience, when I'm actually working I have a lot of time for object golf, but my disc golfing suffers. The key here is that I'm only working 5 months a year.

How to live the lifestyle.

1. Get rid of all bills, no house, no car payment.

2. Be ok with being homeless, live in car.

3. The actual job doesn't matter, earn enough in a short period of time to support a couple months straight of dg travel. If you need more $, stop and earn it.

4. Play 500 courses in <2 years 1000 by 3.