• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's the highest wind you will play a friendly/solo game in

Friends and I will play in any winds that aren't dangerous. And when I mean dangerous, I mean when huge trees start falling everywhere. We had a tournament at Burke Lake Park in VA a few years ago that had to cancel the second round because trees started falling, including a giant pine that crushed the picnic table a few feet from tourney HQ. Most of the course is in the woods and in the space of a few minutes 6-8 trees fell. That was too much wind.

Raleigh (Zebulon) at a tourney a few years ago had ~40-50mph winds with gusts above 70mph. Scores were insanely high that round, with some of the craziest shots I've ever seen. Putts landing in, sticking to the bottom of the basket and then being lifted all the way out before the player could retrieve the disc...

For casual rounds, I think we've played in solid winds ~50mph. We just play everything par-4 in those conditions, adding a one-stroke-per-hole handicap for the wind. Playing in Texas for several years, it was actually a lot of fun and great experience to play in high winds. As long as it's dry and above freezing, I'll play in any winds that aren't toppling trees on the course.

A few weeks ago I played a tournament in Canton OH and we had wind shear advisories. It was steady wind around 30 miles per hour with gusts well over 50 miles and hour. The first few times that your disc gets tossed is frustrating but when you look around and see the same happening to everyone else it is a relief. I thought it was an absolute blast to play in, trying to guess what the wind was going to do. I heard that the longest putt in the second round was about 20 feet!
I will play in any conditions that are safe, because regardless of the conditions it's still disc golf and I love it.

I played yesterday and the wind was definately blowing 50+. Needless to say it was not a great game but a good experience. Driving into that wind takes off at least 100' from my drive.

Latest posts