• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What's your go-to for thumbers?

Why does everyone call a hook thumber a thumber? It may be shorter to say that, but it's also incorrect.

Why does everyone call a hook thumber a thumber? It may be shorter to say that, but it's also incorrect.

I've never heard of a "hook thumber" and I'm not sure it sounds any more correct or descriptive than thumber. I guess the point, as you said, is that everyone is referring to the same thing...

Ive been using Z Flicks but I am getting too much turn for a regular hole I play that has a tight tunnel. Can be an ace run for me before but its just not making it through the gap. Looking to keep something vertical longer.

What is a "hook thumber"?

Hook thumber is what's typically just called a thumber nowadays. It's the overhand shot that turns to the opposite direction of a Tomahawk. The shot that was traditionally called a thumber is a roller shot where you grip the disc similarly to a grenade shot with the entire thumb along the inside of the rim ... at least so I've read

Attachments

• homburg_discard_1979-low_res.jpg
    homburg_discard_1979-low_res.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
The hook thumber, the overhand, thumb on the rim portion of the disc-type shot should just be called the "anal bomb" now, to alleviate any further confusion.

Matt Dollar, a thumber master, suggested to me a Moonshine Spark. Spark is the disc and Moonshine is latitude 64's glow plastic. It has a really nice slow turn so it goes really far before bombing to the ground. I only throw a thumber every now and then but I can get around 275ish, maybe more. Great disc and fantastic plastic.

When I used to throw thumbers off the tee, which I don't anymore, I always had the best distance and accuracy with a champ banshee.

Anything with a big dome is going to drop out of the air when it flips upside down.

Is this the consensus? I've been doing thumbers with a predator that's domey and I'm getting exctly what you describe and was wondering why I wasn't getting to much distance. I just thought I sucked lol. Guess I'll try a flatter driver next time thanks. :thmbup:

First run z nuke os. I have used faf firebirds, destroyers sucked, pretty much anything with a big dome isn't good. Flat top nuke os goes 290-300 ft, flat firebird 270

I love thumbing an ace race zeppelin.

Effing cheaters.

Is FH cheating too? What about rollers?

Lefties are
Ouch. I'll need to revamp my entire game.:(
I'll send you my address and you can mail them to me. Until their arrival I will countinue to use the oldest firebird in my bag.:thmbup:
The discs are not here yet.
It is now too cold to throw the CE fx. I broke 3 early this year. I am now thumberless.

Ouch. I'll need to revamp my entire game.:(

The discs are not here yet.
It is now too cold to throw the CE fx. I broke 3 early this year. I am now thumberless.

I doesn't matter how that disc leaves your hand, we good. I personally love FH rollers on wooded courses. If I throw it's almost guaranteed I'm playing pinball. Put down a nice roller, I've got a chance. :\